iPhone 5s Signal Issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Po1soNNN, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Po1soNNN macrumors newbie

Like many others here I just received mine today. Verizon 32GB space gray. I love it but I notice that I do not get more than 2 bars at my house where as I used to get 4 bars on my iPhone 4S. I even placed then next to each other and they iPhone 4S had more bars.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also when I turn 4g lte off I gain a 3rd bar(dot) for some reason.

Is this a problem?

2. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Verizon here as well. No loss signal, and it even went up one bar to 4. Had a flip phone from Samsung before this, and it gave me 2 or sometimes 3 bars. Home is steal, and concrete, and I'm about 3/4 of a mile from the nearest tower. Unknown if you have an issue or not.

3. Po1soNNN thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Don't go by the number of bars or now indicators. Dial *3001#12345#* and go by the actual dbm.

Is call quality worse on your 5S? Personally, I think the 4S had the best signal strength any modern smartphone has had. Damn I miss that design too.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not really a problem, just how Verizon's LTE network is deployed. Right now, not every Verizon cell site has LTE. Their goal was to blanket the network with LTE sites to make their coverage map look huge, and that means spreading the available LTE gear thinner than the existing 3G network, at least at first. Over the coming year, Verizon will likely backfill the already covered areas, adding LTE to the sites they didn't install it at during the first wave.

As a result, you will often get lower bars on LTE than on 3G, because the nearest site to you is 3G only at this time, and you have to get your LTE signal from a site that's farther away.