iPhone 5s Space Gray ID sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Sep 16, 2013.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I have been looking for picture of a close up the ID sensor on the Space Gray but can't find anything. Can anyone find any close ups? In all the pictures I've seen I can barely see the ID sensor. Is it gray on the space grey phone? I assume it is since the silver is silver and the gold is gold. I usually get the black phone but the white with the silver ID sensor looks really nice.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

It is space gray to match the rest of the phone.

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

As I figured. It just doesn't stand out since the other 2 colors have white fronts then. Looks like I may be leaning towards the silver this year. It just looks really sleek with the silver on white.

But then again I like the silver sides on the space gray. I have a few days left to decide only!

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I agree. Space gray is kinda bland. I'm glad I have a slate iPhone 5 to hold me over until the iPhone 6. The gold is looking really good, though.

5. Becact macrumors member

I really can't believe none of the launch event media took any nice, slow, HD footage of the new colors independently to show off how they look, reflect light, etc. all the video reviews seem to be some tard playing with the fingerprint sensor over and over again, or taking pictures. If it's even in focus you're lucky. I still don't really know what the space gray looks like, lol. Hopefully the pre launch formal reviews will be out soon, but for me, it's probably going to take looking at the colors in person to decide. I like all 3 equally!

6. Kurso macrumors 6502

I must say that on Apple.com the Gold looks stunning, but I'm going Silver for sure.

7. greg555 macrumors 6502a

8. ladeer, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

In this video, it looks like the sensor finish is black, not space grey. There is also a weird shine to the button.

Really wish they would have made the finish space grey, to make it pop and consistent with the gold and white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHwSzFZu1Iw

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I think the Touch ID sensor is exactly the right color. It would look absolutely horrible with a space grey color on the otherwise entirely black front.

11. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Here's an incredibly terrible mockup of what a space gray sensor ring could look like.

You could be right, since there has to be a reason Apple went for a black ring rather then space gray. To be honest, I thing a gray ring on black still looks better and more distinctive.

Attached Files:

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Agreed. I think it looks great.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yes, i agree. The ring should be space grey to match the rear,,,,just as the white/silver has a silver ring and the white/gold has a gold ring.

14. ARSC macrumors 6502

15. thewhitetower macrumors member

thewhitetower

So what's the ring made of? Some kind of metal I assume....I wonder how colour finish it would hold up with constant use...TouchGate here I come!,

Silver ring, just like the chamfered edges may hold better..

16. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I think it's impossible to tell from the pics and vids for sure.

If I had to guess, it's going to be space grey (the ring). It just may not show up well in video or pictures.

The one where the phones are stacked on top of each other with space grey on top definitely makes it look more grey than black.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They said it's a stainless steel detection ring so the phone knows to turn on the fingerprint scanner.

18. billycuth macrumors 6502a

19. pmau macrumors 65816

20. Bryan839 macrumors newbie

Im torn, I wanted the space grey, but the gold ring around the home button on the Gold looks really good, and I would have a case on it to hide the sides and back haha!

Heres the space grey:

[​IMG]

21. Enmanuel macrumors regular

Enmanuel

This is worth mentioning. Aluminium and Stainless Steel have a different composition and colour might not be able to be matched exactly between the front and back. I'd much rather have a black home button that matches the front fascia and not different tones of grey.

22. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm disappointed with the color of the "ring" on the space grey phone as well. It stands out on the other two colors, no reason it shouldn't have on the grey. I think that this may push me towards the silver one. With a case on it would be very difficult to spot the grey phone as a 5s with the all black front. :mad:

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

For every person that is disappointed, there is a person like me who is delighted that the ring blends in. ;)

I think the gold and silver ring is gaudy :rolleyes:

24. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

You guys figured it out before me but here's what Apple has to say.

Attached Files:

25. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

True. It's cool. We all like different things.

Having seen that one good picture above I've finally made up my mind. After 4 black phones I'm switching it up and going white/silver with a black leather Apple case. I'll go back to black with the 6.