iPhone 5S Space Grey owners! Come on in!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spicyscreamer, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Spicyscreamer macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and it's interesting reading all the past threads.

Anyway, I've bought the iPhone 5S Space Grey, like many of you, I couldn't wait so I rushed to 2 shops just to get it.. I did my homework and had the impression that the 5S Space Grey was a little more hardy than the other 2 colors.

But within the first 3 days or so, I've got minor scratches here and there on the black part of the phone and a ding on the bezel, not sure if that's what you call it. I'll attach a photo.. So I'm wondering if it's my problem or my iPhone problem. I'm not particularly rough with the phone, when I drive, I put it in the cup holder, there's nothing inside and I'm still lost as to how I got the ding on the bezel. Everything seems pretty soft and prone to dings/scratches. I've put a case on for now but I'm not really a fan of cases as I like to rock my iPhone naked.

Let me know guys! Thanks! :)

P.S sorry for the ****** quality, using my work phone to snap the photo

Attached Files:

2. matttye macrumors 601

Mine's a little dirty but no dings or scratches.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

5. itjw macrumors 65816

So that's either a picture of a monkey doing a hula taken with a SGS4, or you damaged your phone.

It wasn't that way out of the box, so by "hardy" what did you expect exactly? For the record you still can't: hit it with a hammer, drop it on concrete, put it in your pocket with gritty sandpaper, run it over with your car, etc...

I know it seems like common sense, but here we are. This is a perfect example of why I know "scuff gate" never existed. I've used a black 5, naked, for over a year, and nothing even close to this occurred.

Operator error is a tough thing to take responsibility for, but that's all it is. On the plus side, the phone still works fine I bet, so cover up your damage and enjoy it!

6. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Even the Hubble Telescope could have shot a better pic of your 5S from the orbit. Horrible quality indeed.

But what exactly would you like to know? It is prone to scratches if you don't take care of it. On a white or gold one it's just a bit less visible.

7. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

That subtle SGS4 zing was incredibly well-placed, kudos.

LOL

8. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I have had mine since launch day and like others mine is a LITTLE dirty but BARELY I put a skin on it last week to try to help some wear around the bezel but it's not gonna help much if at all especially if dropped but naked in a cup holder will sure do the trick especially if it doesn't have the rubber lining.

Attached Files:

9. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

so you damaged your phone and you think the phones to blame? what?

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Rocks can easily scratch or ding any material, so rocking your phone (especially when you're naked) is definitely looking for trouble both for your phone as well as you as you can be subject to arrest for lewd behavior.

11. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I have a space gray model with no scratches out of the box. Granted, I immediately put on a case and screen protector when I opened it.

12. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Is this the one you bought off ebay?

13. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yeah.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That picture sucks, but my day one still looks great

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Get a proper case that covers all sides of the iPhone and you won't have that problem. This is the best case on the market, at the moment in my opinion.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My launch day Space Grey is perfect. Keep it mostly in an Apple leather case, but take it out from time to time. No scratches, no chips, nothing.

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There isn't a phone in existence that can withstand everything and never get a dent, scratch, ding or chip.

If you're throwing it in your pocket with keys, change, or what have you, such is going to happen.

Even though I baby it, my 5 has one tiny, barely noticeable mark on the back.

My 5s is still blemish free, but I usually expect a couple of tiny things to happen over the course of the year.

18. pk7 macrumors 6502

My launch day iPhone 5s is already showing very light signs of wear near the chamfer above the dock connector.

I have Zagg films on the back and sides and no case. But I've been very careful with my phone. Literally the only thing I've been doing a lot is taking it in and out of my pocket (in which I keep nothing else), but I figured it should be able to stand up to that....

Not too upset over it though, the phone is beautiful and works flawlessly. Just a little upset that I might not get as much for the phone in a couple years if it's worn. Trying to decide if I should invest in a case or not.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Has nothing to do with the color.

It's aluminum. It will dent/ding/scratch and bend.

20. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Launch day phone, mostly pocket carried without a case, also clipped to car holder a number of times a day.

The only protection added is a screen protector type film to the back (in case of putting it down on a rough surface).

Not a mark anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. TC03 macrumors 65816

Very nice photos. Space grey looks truly amazing.

I can see why Apple replaced black & slate with space grey, since this color combination has more 'iconic value'. For instance, space grey resembles the iPhone 2G and 4/4S, both being iconic designs (the 2G because it's the first, the 4 because it's what really kickstarted the iPhone worldwide).

2G, 4/4S, 5S, they all have the same color setting. Black & slate is a bit different though.

22. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Tragic

23. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

My space grey iPhone is on the way.

The only thing I'm not happy with about the design is the home button. The sapphire reflects the light differently to the rest of the glass front. It's not as noticeable on the white models, but I can definitely notice it on every photo I've seen. Also, the home button ring just kind of looks weird. Not as visible as on the white models.

I'm just going by pictures on the web; I haven't seen a space grey one in person yet.

After reading about how the white iPhones were delayed for so long while Apple looked for the right kind of paint, it just feels like they didn't take as much time over the details on the grey model. I hope it's one of those things that just doesn't photograph well, though, and that it's much better in person.

24. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Um, I can't see any different reflection from the sapphire glas on the photo 2 Posts above. Didn't notice it on other pics either.

But I don't understand your complaints tbh. the button presumably popps out, what is a bad Thing in your opinnion. At the same time the ring is not shiny enough, also bad?

25. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

What I mean is best illustrated by these images from around the web:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...as you can see, the home button stands out because its reflection doesn't match the glass. On the white models, you can't see the difference (because they're white).

I also think the black ring doesn't show up as much; I would have preferred if it was the same silvery-grey colour as the edges (because from those shots it looks like the ring is almost black)

However, I've got to point out that I'm basing this opinion on shots like these I've found around the web. Like I said, I'm still waiting for my one, so we'll see what it's like in person.