Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I will be picking up my iPhone 5 today at Best Buy for the people who purchased their iPhones within this pass week are there any scuffs out of the box still? I also have a question if i open the box there and its scratched will they let me open another one? Thanks

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
I will be picking up my iPhone 5 today at Best Buy for the people who purchased their iPhones within this pass week are there any scuffs out of the box still? I also have a question if i open the box there and its scratched will they let me open another one? Thanks

I picked up a white 5 yesterday with no marks.

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007

I got a black phone 2 days ago with no scuffs

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Why don't you just find out when you get to the store? Just because some people on here didn't get scuffed phones this week, doesn't mean some poor guy somewhere else didn't get one. Please stop with the preemptive worrying/speculation that your phone is going to be scratched. If it's scratched, ask if they have others. If they don't have others, don't buy it. Check elsewhere.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I picked up mine yesterday and found no issues.

If trend is true then the apple genius will possibly open up to another two handsets to look at.

Think positive !!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Got a black 64GB Friday and it has a scuff and damage where the glass meets the metal on the back.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I got one wed last week. One pin head sized place on the front bezel with no paint. Kept it. This is my third and this was much better than the first two which I returned.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Had to exchange mine due to dead pixels. 3 swaps and all 3 looked like they've been used for drop tests. Will be returning mine (week 39).

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Did you keep it or swap it out ?

The first one had a huge gouge on the front side edge and I refused to take it at the store.
They opened up this one and everything looked fine in the store until I got home and took the plastic off the front and back.

This one has a very tiny silver scuff showing through on the front edge near the home button and a small damage area on the back where the glass meets the metal.

You have to look hard to see these areas but they are there. This is the third black 64GB I've had and they all had some form of damage one way or the other.

This one operates real nice and the battery seems to last way longer then the others so I hate to take a chance on an exchange. My OCD is saying exchange but I might just keep it.:rolleyes:

We have thousands of dollars of Apple products and this has to be the worst quality control I have even seen from Apple.:mad:

The odds are against you getting a "Perfect" black model.

Still not sure if I should exchange this one or not. :eek:

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
I too have a 64gb Black Model with an imperfection where the Aluminum meets the glass on the upper band. I ended up keeping it as it does seem that for many finding a flawless Black 5 is hit or miss.
Cheers,
JJ

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
I picked mine up on thursday at the Apple store a 16GB white Verizon iphone 5. I had them actually open it up while we were in the store, luckly mine didn't have any scratches or scuffs. Mine is a week 40.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
My husband picked up a VZW 64GB iPhone 5 last Monday at Best Buy Mobile. Of course I checked it out for him when he brought it home and it has a large ding/gouge on front upper right edge. No scuffs that I could notice. Of course he hadn't noticed the ding nor did he care when I pointed it out to him.:rolleyes: He will consistently carry it in an Otterbox Defender case so I guess it doesn't really matter.... Wish I could be so OCD-free!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I picked mine up on thursday at the Apple store a 16GB white Verizon iphone 5. I had them actually open it up while we were in the store, luckly mine didn't have any scratches or scuffs. Mine is a week 40.

Anyway to tell what week they are from just by looking at the serial number on the box or other codes on the box?

At Verizon they will only exchange after they have deactivated the first phone and will not open up a new one until after all of this is done.

I hate to roll the dice and end up with something worst.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Anyway to tell what week they are from just by looking at the serial number on the box or other codes on the box?

At Verizon they will only exchange after they have deactivated the first phone and will not open up a new one until after all of this is done.

I hate to roll the dice and end up with something worst.

Yeah just key in the serial number listed on the bottom of the box into the link that deciphers that serial number.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I've looked at a bunch of the black ones in the Apple store and around town among friends. Tons of imperfections out there. Lots of places where clearly the natural aluminum color is peaking through. Also see a lot of chipping near the lightning connector. White just seems like a much better option for the iphone 5.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I've looked at a bunch of the black ones in the Apple store and around town among friends. Tons of imperfections out there. Lots of places where clearly the natural aluminum color is peaking through. Also see a lot of chipping near the lightning connector. White just seems like a much better option for the iphone 5.

Wonder when the you tube videos are released showing how a green scrubbing sponge can be used to remove the antenna coating.

Remember how they were used to scuff up the backs of marked up iphone 3gs's and iPod touch's :rolleyes:

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Yeah just key in the serial number listed on the bottom of the box into the link that deciphers that serial number.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

This web site tells me my iPhone 5 is week 30 (July). I thought I read that the earliest production dates were early August? So either the info I read is wrong or the decoder isn't working for the new style of serial numbers. There isn't a "30" in my serial #, but that may not mean a thing since the style is different than on my 4.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at cases when this situation happened.

The "damage" was a tiny (smaller than pin head) nick on the back chamfered edge. My wife couldn't even see it.

The guy was basically throwing a temper tantrum. They wouldn't let him open anymore because they were promised to others. They told him he could return it, take it to apple, or wait.

He was demanding they open other people's phones for him. It was pretty amusing. He kept saying "my money" this, and "I deserve" that.

The manager came over and told him that he didn't deserve anything, and that he could take his business elsewhere. He was polite, and didn't take crap from this OCD nightmare.

The guy punched the rack of cases on the way out.

So no. Best buy will most likely not let you open other people's phones just for your hunt of perfection.

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at cases when this situation happened.

The "damage" was a tiny (smaller than pin head) nick on the back chamfered edge. My wife couldn't even see it.

The guy was basically throwing a temper tantrum. They wouldn't let him open anymore because they were promised to others. They told him he could return it, take it to apple, or wait.

He was demanding they open other people's phones for him. It was pretty amusing. He kept saying "my money" this, and "I deserve" that.

The manager came over and told him that he didn't deserve anything, and that he could take his business elsewhere. He was polite, and didn't take crap from this OCD nightmare.

The guy punched the rack of cases on the way out.

So no. Best buy will most likely not let you open other people's phones just for your hunt of perfection.

I'll never understand people like that customer. That's just obnoxious and disgusting behaviour.

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
picked up 4 iphone 5s couple days ago. we opened up all 4 to check out. 3/4 were good, the 1 was not. so opened up one more and got another good one. so 4/5 were good. not bad as i was expecting after all i've read on here of people opening 5+ to just find one that is good. i figured with needing 4 phones we'd have some trouble...

Anajaf27

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
No matter what.. I think your always going to end up with scuffs on your black iPhone 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.