iPhone 5s stopped charging via car USB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Route20bear, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Route20bear macrumors newbie

I purchased my iPhone 5S in December. My 2013 Chevy Spark has both a built in USB port that acts as a power supply and I also have a power inverter with a 2A and 1A USB plug, and just for back up, a USB plug for the lighter.

For one month, I was able to charge my iPhone 5S using the provided cord that came with my phone in either the built in USB, the power inverter or when needed the USB plug when I used another vehicle for work. No problems charging.

Then this past Saturday, I got the notice, "this accessory may not be supported" and the phone refused to charge, (although the lightning arrow would appear next to the battery symbol and the phone indicated it was charging) using the provided USB cord in the power inverter. So I unplugged from the power inverter and into the cars USB port and the phone fully began to charge again. So I thought something was wrong with the power inverter.

The next day, I went to plug in my phone into the same cord, plugged into the USB port in the car and the message appeared again. Now I could not charge using this method. So, I brought the cord back in the house and plugged it into the white box and into the wall and the phone would charge.

Now today, again, the USB lighter adapter would not charge the phone with the same cord.

What strikes me is that the phone would charge until I received these notices (for over 1 month) and now I can no longer charge the phone via any USB port. I have a friend who has the same phone and is able to charge his phone using either of the 3 options given above with the same cord.

So my question is, what happened and how can I fix it.

BTW. If I plug the white box plug into the power inverter, then plug the USB cord into it, I am able to charge my phone in my car.

2. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Ugh, my 5s just stopped charging on anything this afternoon. Same accessory message (when it says anything at all).

I've had HORRIBLE luck with that lightning connector, though wanted to take a chance on the 5s anyway *sigh*.

3. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

That same message started occasionally popping up on my car charger a few weeks ago. I thought it might have coincided with the iOS 7.1.2 update, but plugging and unplugging the cable to the USB port would fix things. Not sure if it's an issue with the charger or the cable, but it's a Belkin charger that I bought from the Apple Store. So far, the message has not interrupted the charging ... yeah, so far.

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I think the Lightning connection is just fragile and defective. I mean the entire spec and/or implementation.

I got a new iPhone 5s from Apple, but I'm sure it'll just go bad again, this time out of warranty. I like iOS, but I think I'm selling it as I can get at least $400 for it right now, and I don't want to be in the same situation of having a dead phone in another 2-10 months.

5. esammons45, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

esammons45 macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple Store in Birmingham UK and a member of staff told me the issue was entirely my fault, I was using incorrectly! This is plainly wrong, not to say insulting, I have not been yanking the cable out as suggested.

You only have to look at the abundance of 1 star reviews in the UK store to see just how disapointed and disgusted most people are with the extremely poor kwality of this item.

----------

I think the Lightning connection is just fragile and defective. I mean the entire spec and/or implementation.

I got a new iPhone 5s from Apple, but I'm sure it'll just go bad again, this time out of warranty. I like iOS, but I think I'm selling it as I can get at least $400 for it right now, and I don't want to be in the same situation of having a dead phone in another 2-10 months.

6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Just found this:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...inst-apple-for-faulty-lighting-connector.html

I haven't had any cables physically fray or anything like that, but I've had at least a half dozen cables fail, plus two iPod touches, 1 iPod nano, and iPhone 5s.

Not sure this suit really "gets" it though, that it's not just the cables, it's the physical connection itself, the DEVICES that are going bad too. And it's wrong about there not being 3rd party versions of the cables (which they weirdly call "the Lightning" LOL).

Hmm, yeah, I think this is much broader than just the cables being junk.

7. nellysoap macrumors newbie

Just buy a new cable and see if that does the trick