iPhone 5S unlocked option removed from Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ulmer, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Ulmer macrumors newbie

A couple days ago on the Apple Store online, I believe the 5C and 5S listed "Unlocked and contract-free" options of T-mobile and "SIM-free".

Today, the 5C page continues to show these options, but the 5S page no longer lists an unlocked option. Just "Contract-free" for T-mobile.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s

Does this mean that the T-mobile 5S phones are locked and there's no unlocked option through the Apple Store yet? I know they have delayed unlocked phone availability in the past...

2. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

The Tmobile versions will be unlocked

Apple is not calling them "unlocked" now I think because it draws resellers and promotes the Tmobile version. Will sku their sales numbers ... I am sure ATT complained about this.

3. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Unfortunately, that's what it looks like. You're right, they have delayed the unlocked versions in the past to keep up with demand from customers who want a contract phone. I was hoping that that wouldn't be the case this time.

Thankfully, I believe this will still work for me. I'm hoping to pick up a 5s before I go to Australia for a year. However, when I come back, I'll probably try to get on AT&T.

Does anyone know what T-Mobile's unlocking policy is? Frankly, this device should be unlocked, since there is no hardware subsidy.

Edit: For those in a position like I am in, it seems like T-Mobile's unlocking policy is straightforward and that it does apply to iPhones: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

This looks like the route I'll be going tonight, at least.

4. bendrumin macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but if its an off contract phone (no upgrade but full price) it comes unlocked correct?

5. jabba jabba macrumors newbie

Wow, good catch. They did change the wording and removed the link about the unlocked iPhone...

Although it looks like it will still be unlocked. Try selecting one of the T-mobile iPhones and in the Summary box in the upper right it's listed as "T-mobile Unlocked." Let's hope so...

But like most other questions prior to launch...no one knows for sure!

Attached Files:

6. aka777 macrumors 6502a

You probably want to buy one there, so you get to utilize their LTE frequencies.

7. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Oh, alright -- good catch!

Hopefully it is just a change in wording. I guess we'll just wait and see, but T-Mobile does have a decent unlocking policy for its devices: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

It's a nice nuclear option, if the device comes locked.

----------

I've checked the bands and I should be good to go, but I won't be in an area with LTE for the carrier I'll be on anyways, so it is kind of a non-issue. Plus, it's a temporary move and then I'll be back in the States again.

8. krizko macrumors regular

So, purchasing this "T-Mobile unlocked" iPhone would still work on an AT&T account using say a current iPhone 5 nano sim? Or is the hardware any different at all?

9. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

From reading the unlock policy on T-Mobile's site it looks like you have to be a customer to unlock? I'm wanting to purchase a phone for AT&T..