iPhone 5S Upgrade using another account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmize31287, Sep 14, 2013.

1. dmize31287 macrumors regular

I am trying to get the iPhone 5S on my girlfriends account. She gave me the go ahead and added me as an authorized user on her account. I bought a 5 last year and gave it to her, so she was willing to hold off on the upgrade this year and will use mine next year.

My question is, will this be difficult and will she be required to be with me as i'm an Authorized User on her account? I intend to attempt to try at 3am to buy it and have it available for in store pick up, if it isn't possible I will go stand in line somewhere. Will I run into any snags? Has anyone done something like this before? I'd love to know your experience and any tips.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    As long as you are an authorized user you can make any changes to the account that she can. There shouldn't be any problems. You are doing a cross upgrade. So you'll just activate the phone under your line after you buy it as an upgrade using her line. They'll know what to do.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

When I was authorized under my mothers account and wanted to do an upgrade on her account I had to take legal written proof that I could do changes. Online I could do it w/ no issues, it was in-stores that they asked me.

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

As others have said, it's pretty easy and done all the time. Just remember though that if you order online and it asked for the last 4 digits of your social security number, it does not mean yours personally. It means the last four of the account holder. I had that problem last year.

5. dmize31287 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, she has given me the information to do the upgrade (her user name/password/SSN). So if I do it online i'll be sure to use hers and not mine. I did ask an Apple Store employee and they seemed to be under the impression that it would be okay, her line would just be disconnected until I call back with the iPhone 5's IMEI (last years) and then call for my account and add the iPhone 5S' IMEI to my account. Thanks again!