iPhone 5s users how do you like the Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So likes/dislikes about it what are your thoughts? With the new iPad coming around the corner supposedly with it curious what to expect.

2. bunger macrumors 6502

Funny you should ask as I just disabled that feature today. I had it enabled and have been using it since release day, but have found the following "issues:"

If my finger is wet or frayed a bit from working outside, the sensor won't read it.

If I don't put my finger on the sensor precisely as I initially scanned it ( ie., maybe it is down 1/4" from where I initially scanned it ), it won't read it.

I ended up creating multiple fingerprints for each thumb to work around the issues and while it works most of the time, it failed enough that it is just easier to either enter a passcode or don't use that security at all.

3. The Mrs. macrumors member

The Mrs.

I love it! I think it was a great idea. I've even set my preschooler's fingerprint so she can use my phone to watch videos, play games when the iPad isn't available.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

Works flawlessly and fast for me, every time.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Works great. My tips.

1) scan your fingers in their normal state. I.e not after you just washed them, used hand cream.

2) when you register your finger, move it lightly between scans. Up down left right. Most people lift and put it back in the same place.

3) don't register the same finger more than once. It confuses touchid.

6. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I love it. Sometimes I lock the phone just so I can unlock with "one touch" :cool:

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I like it a lot. I didn't use pass code before cause I thought it was annoying. But touch ID is definitely a lot faster.

8. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

For the most part it works flawlessly. The only down side that I've noticed for me is when I tried to unlock the phone by pressing the home button and using the Touch ID, I couldn't see any missed notification because they go away so quickly. I'll end up having to pull down the notification bar, and swipe to the Missed page to see them. And sometimes I noticed they are not even on the Missed page. :confused:

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Never activated it and do not plan to do so. No need

10. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

11. xraytech macrumors 68030

LOVE IT!!!

Works 99.99% on the 1st try.

Can't wait for it's application on the next iteration of the iPad.

12. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Me too.

13. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

Mine is weird - it seems to work really well for the last finger I scanned but seems to forget about the two that are saved...

14. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I am completely spoiled by it. I am annoyed now by my iPad that does not have it.

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap same here! IT was weird using my ipad mini and entering my passcode everytime lol. Good thing I sold the mini and waiting on the mini 2 or maybe even go back to the bigger ipad if it has everything the 5s has.

16. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

I've only been using it for four days, but I've found it to be spot on nearly every time I use it. I like that I can use it to authenticate App Store purchases. If only it could be used to authenticate in other apps.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

Same here. LOL.

It works pretty much flawlessly for me too and I only have one finger print programmed into it so far. Its much better then having to type in the security code every time.

18. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I totally love it. It works flawlessly for me, and it's absolutely rapid. I could unlock my phone pretty fast with a pass code, but it's quicker than I ever anticipated.

It also lets me use a complex pass code without it being an alphanumeric, time consuming pain in the ass.

19. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

Works great. Reads real fast and accurate. I love this feature.

20. madKIR macrumors 6502

In the same boat!:)
    I had to use my old 5 sometimes for the past couple of days and was so annoyed every time I had to swipe to unlock it. I was like, "oh please". LOL

21. KPOM macrumors G5

I like it. It works about 80% of the time for me. I need to use a passcode per our enterprise policies, anyway, so this makes it more convenient. Hopefully the rumors are right and the next iPad gets it. I find myself wondering why the fingerprint scanner doesn't work on my iPad. :D

22. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I love it! I didn't have a passcode on my 4S, because I didn't want to deal with entering it constantly. The fingerprint just takes a second, so now I have that added level of security.

23. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

Me too. Never have an issue, ever. I have both thumbs and both indexes scanned, and they all work perfectly every time. I've gone ahead and implemented a long, alphanumeric pass code with capitals and symbols, since TouchID makes unlocking the phone super easy. This makes things nice and secure.

I do recommend disabling Siri and Control Center from the lock screen, so that a potential if cannot turn on Airplane mode. Sure, hey can pull the sim and power it down. But it's a bit more secure none the less

24. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I think it's great and wouldn't want another iPhone without it.

25. Roller macrumors 68020

Love it. I have to use a long passcode for work, and this has made it much easier to use my iPhone. I'd say it works the first time on at least 9 in 10 presses.