iPhone 5S Users! I need your help for a research study!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Sep 25, 2013.

1. calviin macrumors regular

Hi everyone! I'm interested in doing an informal study on the battery life of the new iPhone 5S. Basically, I want to track how well percentage of battery life correlate with usage and standby time. If you would like to participate in this study, please fully charge your iPhone 5S and use it as normal would. At the end of the day or before you charge it again, take a screenshot of the usage screen and post it here along with the date and any comments you may have from that charging period. Of course, everyone's usage of their phones vary. By getting as many data points as possible, this should hopefully reduce any impacts outliers may have. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns about this study.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Such a study is completely useless. As you stated, everyone's usage will vary so dramatically as to render any results inconclusive. People use different settings, brightness, apps, and operating environments. There is no way to draw any conclusive results from such a study.

4. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I understand there's way too many variables including temperature, usage of GPS, LTE, 3G, WiFi, etc and (eventually) age of phone, in an infinitely large same size, there will be at least some correlation between percentage and usage/standby. And even IF there was absolutely no correlation (r=0) then we can determine without a doubt that battery life is completely dependent on the user. (Of course, this isn't true as the battery can only hold so much charge.) And if you really don't care about this "study" then don't contribute. Simple as that. I was just curious about Apple's usage times and determine if actual usage for the average user is even close to that. This would hopefully end the "Is my battery time long enough?" type posts.