iPhone 5s vs. 5 hardware observations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bitslap47, Sep 25, 2013.

1. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I've noticed quite a few things that are a big deal for me. I have concluded it's hardware related because:

A) I have had 2 iPhone 5 's and they behave the same. My wife's and daughter's behave the same.
    B) My 5 and 5S had the same version of iOS when testing.

1) The ambient light sensor seems to be a better sensor or better implemented in hardware placement/usage if the same component as the last as the phone makes much better decisions regarding adjustments to brightness.

2) The fingerprint sensor. I'll never go back to a phone without one. It's like the phone has no passcode at all even though it is protected. Super easy, super fast.

3) The touchscreen is MUCH more accurate. Way fewer typing mistakes with the keyboard (like 85% less.) At first I though maybe Apple was using parallax to adjust touch targets based on yaw/pitch... and if they aren't they should, but with motion off (reduce motion on in settings) the 5S is clearly better. I have so many typing mistakes on the iPhone 5, I began to wonder if my fingers got fat or something or if my body had less moisture content than it used to since I would have to hit button several times without explanation. When I switch between the 5 and 5S, the touchscreen issue is glaringly apparent for me. I rule out a bad 5 since both of mine, my wife's and my daughters all behave the same.

This is what the 5 should have been. I am ALMOST convinced to only upgrade on the "S" cycles from now on, however as a developer that isn't realistic.

The biggest deal so far is the touch screen accuracy and response.

2. Doc Evils macrumors regular

I remember my 5 had issues with touch detection.

I hope all 5s have this improvement.

3. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I also like the touch sensor a lot more than I thought I would. I like it for the simple fact that I don't have to slide to unlock anymore.

Interesting about the touch type accuracy. I'll have to check that out.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I honestly feel like there was an issue with the touch screen in a lot of the early batches of 5. I had a launch day one that I made more typing mistakes (basically it would not register certain touches) than I ever have before. I sold it and a few months later got a new 5 that did not have that problem.

5. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I had a launch day 5, and a 5 from 3 months ago (replaced for bad speaker.) My wife and daughter's are launch day 5 's. All have horrible touch accuracy.

I think it was that the new in-cell-touch tech was just not ready for prime time.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

it makes sense that the S cycle will always be better since they have a full year to work out the kinks. It may not be a new design, but a fine toned one.

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

My 5 and 5S seem to be about the same. I am not using the finger reader and do not plan to do so.

8. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

The touch sensor on my 5S doesn't work. Went to AT&T yesterday and they said Apple should replace it. Sensor and notification center don't work.
    Appt at Apple tomorrow afternoon to get it exchanged.

9. bitslap47 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Wow... touchscreen is way way more accurate.

Using the SiriusXM app, the granularity of the time shift is 1000% better. I can shift without random jumps now.