Iphone 5S warmer screen color temperature (yellow hue)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ANDYMILLMAN, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ANDYMILLMAN macrumors member

Hi guys,

Yes another yellowgate thread I am afraid... Call me OCD or anally retentive....

Ive compared my iphone 5 with the iphone 5s. Both devices set to full brighntess...both running ios7....and its quite clear that my iphone 5S seems to have a much warmer color temperature when compared with the iphone 5. The iphone 5 produces white as brilliant white...whereas the iphone 5S seems to have a yellow hue to it....whites look yellow / washed out .... This is even more noticable due to ios7 which is primarily an OS with a white background / theme throughout.

Question being, is this "the norm" for the iphone 5S or a manufacturing defect ? Anyone else compared the 5 to the 5S side by side see the same issue ?

Its either a defect or apple has changed the default color temperature for the iphone 5S .... anyone got anything to back this up ? I thought these devices had exactly the same LCD panel in them ?

I dunno if I can be bothered with the whole returns process thing if all others out there are the same....

Side by side - all on full brightness...

from left to right
    iphone 4s
    iphone 5
    iphone 5S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

3. ANDYMILLMAN thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I thought mine was when in isolation, but when I was about to send my old iphone 5 away and did a quick comparison I couldnt help but notice ;)

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wait a couple of weeks. My 4S was like that for a couple of weeks. Or maybe it was my iPad 3. Anyway, whichever it was just seemed to stop in a couple of weeks.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

6. BRO,RUMAD? macrumors newbie

BRO,RUMAD?

The iPhone 5 was like this as well last year when it just came out. Just give it some time, and it should go away.

7. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I thought so too, about my 5S; and my 4S, side-by-side, distinctly appears more bluish/whitish-ish hued.

However, the 5S colors really pop against the 4S and the superior level of details on the 5S display make it leagues better than the 4S screen.

The 5S blue ocean wallpaper looks much crisper against the same one on the 4S; and oddly enough, the 4S shows a slight greenish tinge to the blue ocean wallpaper, when compared side-by-side against the 5S.

Try that for yourself!

The warmer feel of the 5S really only shows up when screen brightness is lower.

After comparing my 4S & 5S side-by-side, I wouldn't part with my 5S for the world, there certainly is no going back to the 4S and I have not given it another thought since1

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's cute how you believe in fairy tales.

9. ANDYMILLMAN thread starter macrumors member

I have seen all the reports from last year around the "2 week glue drying" period....

some seem to stand by that ...others dismiss it as complete fallacy....

No idea what to believe anymore haha

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's an urban legend. It's simply shis story that went on to live its own life.

The truth is simple: display color temperature will not change over time.

11. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Even though ppl always said on th forums. It doesn't, we'll at least for me . It usually always stayed the same in my experience.

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

Yes, that's because people are clueless and don't know what they're talking about.