iPhone 5s water damage question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NZfly, Sep 9, 2014.

1. NZfly macrumors member

Hey guys

So I don't know if this is just me being paranoid but lately my 5s has been having trouble every once in awhile charging like i'll plug it in but then il have to re plug it for it to charge. I cleaned the port out and still have the problem.

Also some of my apps have been crashing mainly Facebook on a regular basis. I've checked the lci and it hasn't been triggered its still white and the only liquid its been exposed to is being in a slightly sweaty pocket.

Is there much chance it could have water damage? main reason I'm asking is we dont have an apple store in nz so i dont really wanna have to take it back to the shop and have it sent away leaving me without a phone just to find out it's not covered.

Any help appreciated :)

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Are you using an Apple cable?
    Have you updated your apps?
    Have you updated your OS?

3. NZfly thread starter macrumors member

Yup apps updated iOS 7.1.2 and using a near brand new apple lightning cable

4. caradelevingne macrumors newbie

Bring it to Apple if its still under warranty, thats the best bet :)

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Have you tried with another cable just to be sure it's not a cable issue?

Oh, and if you DO submit it to Apple, don't start guessing what the issue is by saying things like "water damage." Just say, "My expensive device isn't working as it should, and it's under warranty, so I'd like to get it repaired or replaced ASAP."

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

my wife dropped her 5s in the pedicure bucket at the nail salon a couple of weeks ago. it did get submerged for maybe 2 seconds and she dried it off immediately. I told her to turn it off and come home. She came home, an hour later (wasn't the plan) so by then the rice method was a long shot. thankfully she had a pretty tight case on at the time, not sure if that helped it.

I still let it sit in a bag of rice for about 3 hours. turned it on and all worked as normal. I backed everything up to make sure nothing will be lost if it goes nuts on her. Sure enough, at 3am Siri starts going off. The home button was acting like it was being pressed and would not stop. I activated my old iPhone 4 and let her use that. We were going out of town later that week for labor day and to a city that has an apple store. I made an appointment and thankfully, with the 2.5hr drive we made it in time.

Prior of taking it in, I obviously checked the liquid damage indicators and made sure they were all white. I opened it up to make sure the one inside was white also (not sure if everyone knows, there's one on the inside too).

I turned the iPhone on for the genius and it started acting up as it did before. he was even having a hard time just getting basic information off of the iPhone. he took it to the back in which I suspect they opened it up to check as I did. He came back said it will be replaced, no charge. Her sleep/wake button was also loose and he noticed that too.

It only took about 20mins and I was out with a new iPhone for her. Went to the att kiosk right outside the apple store and got the new iPhone activated for her.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's your lucky day. Did you know the new iPhone 6 will be introduced today, in a matter 0f 50 mins..