iPhone 5S: what are the chances of much improved battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Romf, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Romf macrumors regular

Romf

So I saw all the rumors about the iphone 5S and was thinking about this.
    One of the weakest point for lots of iphone 5 users is the battery life (okay, no need to tell us if "for you it's fine" - we get it and it's not the topic ;) ). So do you think there is any chance Apple will surprise everyone and announce a new iphone with a HUGE battery life?
    I thought about this because I don't recall any rumors about new macbook airs with much improved battery life (maybe there were though, just missed them then) - so it could be possible?

2. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Yes it could, but to the MacBook Air side, the huge battery gains were from the new Haswell CPU with a new architecture.

Maybe an A7 chip with a new design. :D

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is it will have a slightly improved battery life than last years model.
    Nothing too crazy from where its at now but would be nice if it was a big improvement.

4. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

They should really fix the battery life. The new moto X quadruples iPhone 5s battery life and that's an android phone.

5. Bahroo macrumors 68000

100 mAh bigger battery along with a more energy efficient SoC?

if there is any chance that it has a IGZO display, then that would be huge...

but with the 100 mAh battery with more energy efficient A7 SoC probably =15-20% better battery life then the iphone 5

6. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I certainly hope it does, it would be nice to have a higher battery life that isn't at 5% at the end of the day.

7. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

It doesn't actually have 24 hour battery life, does it? Like real, everyday usage battery life.

8. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Damn close.

9. vseera macrumors member

Considering the design is the same, there is less scope to push in a bigger battery in there. The maximum we can hope for is about a 100mah improvement.

Even if they optimize everything, the laws of physics still dictate that it cannot suddenly be twice as good as the iphone 5.

So I am expecting a slight claimed battery improvement, with real world usage tests about the same.

I can't believe Apple has the guts to do something like this in 2013 when every other smartphone manufacturer has at least a 2000mah battery in their flagship.

And no, you can't suddenly get 3 day battery life without increasing the mah even if the hardware and software is made by Apple and optimized like hell.

10. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Well maybe they will innovate and bring a the new battery technology to the table . Like the new Lithium Ion battery that is supposed to last for a week.

11. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

The battery life could be slightly improved battery, but it would really depends on your use and ios 7 :D

12. vseera macrumors member

I've actually given up on expecting any innovation from Apple, at least for this year and the iPhone. Looks to be pretty standard fare.
    There was a time when I was a believer and never believed all the leaks that the upcoming release really was pretty mundane.

I think we all saw a battery photo about a month back showing the battery, which looked to have a slightly improved battery. No mah ratings though.

I won't bet on a new battery technology.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

They should improve the battery life. No matter what anyone tells you, the iPhone 4's battery life is far better than the battery life of the iPhone 5 (easily 20% better).

14. Romf thread starter macrumors regular

Romf

agree with this, as since I have the iphone5 (from day of release) it happens MUCH more often that I can't finish a long day without pluggin in than it happened with the 4s.
    So what is the secret for 24hours batt life? Is the phone just really bigger?

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They could make it twice as thick for a new battery but no one would want it. The iPhone 5 battery last long enough for the average user and the 5S might last a little longer but it will be the same thickness as the 5 so we can not expect much longer battery life.

The MotoX is a good bit bigger than the 5 or 5S so they could put a honker battery in it.

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Attached Files:

17. CHMK macrumors regular

probably actually, apple seems to be putting more emphasis on battery saving with the haswell air and mavericks power saving.
    considering its the same form factor as the 5, maybe they have some high tech battery in the works. on the other hand what with the A7 chip, as some people probably have pointed out, it could skew in the other direction.

18. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

What quadruple means...

quadruple |kwäˈdro͞opəl|
    adjective [ attrib. ]

• consisting of four times as much or as many as usual: a quadruple vodka.

increase or be increased fourfold: [ no obj. ] :

a quadruple thing, number, or amount.

Sorry ethan. Not even 4 times as much. Not 3 times, not twice the battery life. :D

19. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I think that iOS 7 will help with battery life as its proving too now on the 5 in Beta form.

20. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

No

21. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Okay sorry, I was being a little over dramatic. But it still has very good battery life and I think Apple is ready to compete with that.

22. Luuthian macrumors member

Moto X battery life was nothing but hype. The iPhone 5 battery is still quite superior to a large number of Android offerings within the same device range (as in not a Note size phablet phone, or a specialty MAXX device with a huge battery).

Check this:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-goes-the-full-breakdown-of-the-moto-x-battery-performance/

Vs this:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-iphone-5-battery-test-is-done-proves-itself-as-a-thin-powerhouse/

The promises were just hyperbole on Motorola's part. And before you say that's one website, check others. Mobile Syrup gave the phone's battery a 7/10, Phone Arena noted the battery will likely need to be charged after an 8 hour shift, and Anandtech noted the battery life was nothing special and it was easy to kill the device fairly quick with average use.

Outside of talk time, the iPhone 5 is still a very battery efficient phone. That's only likely to get better as time goes on. They're doing way more with 1500mAh than most Android phones can do with 2500mAh.

23. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

I understand that the iPhone is a great battery efficient phone. The technologies in the software and hardware that work together to save battery is phenomenal. But what I think this year or next year apple is going to introduce a the new Lithium Ion battery everyone has been talking about that can last on a week charge. Or maybe even other battery saving technologies (for example the new battery efficient API's in iOS 7). Even to go along with the new release of the Macbook Airs with the day long battery charge. Imagine that. thats a laptop. The iPhone is smaller and uses less power. They can market the iPhone to have maybe even 2 day battery life with different technologies. But again. No one really knows.

Just my two cents :)

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That is WAY too ambitious for 100mAh and a tick-tick chip update. 8-12%

25. Luuthian macrumors member

Sorry, I think I was misunderstood hahaha. I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I was just pointing out that the Moto X was not the scion of battery life that it claimed to be and is not worth using it in a competitive comparison.

I just find it funny that sometimes fingers are pointed at the iPhone 5's battery life when users don't actually realize how good they've got it compared to the competition.

But here's to hoping they do even better in the future. It's everyone's dream to have a phone they can take with them, turn on all the cool features, and not worry about charging it for a few days.