iPhone 5S? What do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MonteiroVi, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MonteiroVi macrumors newbie

So, apple got a history in releasing an iPhone and then a year later release an improved version of it, as we saw with 3G/3GS and 4/4S. Do you believe that there will be a 5S version? What do you think they'll put on it? I personally believe that they're going to put NFC and an quadcore processor... And a better battery, also. If Apple decide to join the full HD display battle, I wouldn't doubt about a "cornea" display (what a dumb name, wtf). So, what is your opinion?

2. AppleZombie macrumors 6502

There are rumors that this will be the last Iphone for Apple. They will now concentrate on making a better MP3 player instead of just bringing out different colors every year...... they will use what they have learned in the process and make an Iphone HD by 2018.

3. xak macrumors regular

Better camera will be coming for sure, considering the 4S->5 camera update was minimal.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

In some ways Apple has become more unpredictable than ever.

If we set aside the name Apple may choose & focus on the product, I'm sure it will represent some sort of upgrade. The big question is will it be significant & exciting, or small in the interest of more Apple profit taking.

Given the fact that Apple has proven the public will buy anything with the fruity logo, it's hard to image Apple putting energy into anything other than it's marketing campaign.

5. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I think it'll be faster than the 5.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The 5S will be even less of an upgrade than the 4 to 4S was. Stands to reason. Not really sure where Apple can go from here, even with the iPhone 6.

Because the phone is so thin, can they improve on the camera? How much faster can they make the phone than it already is? They don't seem to be interested in updating the UI, so that won't change.

On the OS side, we mainly got Maps, Siri update, Facebook integration and Passbook. Pretty weak, really. If this is the trend, then the 5S OS won't be anything to get excited about. Maybe we'll get a replacement for Safari that's half as good.

Sorry to be so glum, but the last two iOS updates have left me underwhelmed, to say the least. Apple can't even be bothered to throw Themes into the mix.

7. mikejfrd macrumors regular

I think the next BIG update will be to iOS. I believe that's the main reason for the hardware improvements to the iPhone 5 and such minimal update to iOS 6.

iOS is ready to be updated. It's functionality is fine, but its getting boring and tired looking. Any additional hardware updates without a major iOS update will be in my opinion disappointing... We'll see!

8. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Better camera, faster processor. I don't see what else they can put in a 5S. Maybe an even better looking screen, though I doubt it.

I think a new version of iOS will be launched with the 5S.

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

5S: Updates processor, iOS 7, Better battery, updated Siri.

It would be interesting to see them put another camera in there and do on demand 3D.

10. MonteiroVi thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I really think that Apple could surprise us with a new major update to iOS. And don't say they can't, because saying that Apple makes ****** devices only because there are people out there that buy everything with a Apple logo on it is dumb. I like the idea of stop producing new models to sell a new greater version after a while. That would not only increase the popularity of the device and create much more expectative but also guarantee them enough time to work on something great and refreshing(apple, a new design is needed! for both hardware and software!)

11. diamornte macrumors regular

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

NFC maybe, but I'm not sure what the next one will have. I doubt it will be a big update since the iPhone 5 is a redesign. iOS needs work... Android is clearly the better OS these days, and iOS has changed very little over the past few years. I expect Apple wants to overhaul it, especially with the recent internal moves and restructuring.

13. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

I don't think there is any way apple takes time off from the iPhone. Do you know how well these things sell? It is mind numbing how fast and how many they sell. This has become there most popular item and apple is all about the dollar bills just like every other company. One person said they would stop to make better iPods. Are you kidding me. iPod are on the down. Apple will keep making iPhones cause people keep buying them in record numbers.

14. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I am hoping they just jump from 5 straight to 6 and so on.

But they can make more money each year releasing the "s" so I don't think they will jump right to 6.

I really don't think Apple will drop the iphone altogether! or make the 5 the last, that's insane and they would lose a crap load of money each year.

Hopefully they make the screen wider (no more length), better camera, functionality.

I really would like to see different materials for the bodywork , no more Aluminum. They need to keep it light but find a way to keep the body from being so fragile.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They seem to oscillate, tick-tock, like Intel.

1 to 3G similar internals (same CPU, new cellular), new externals
    3G to 3GS big internal changes, similar external
    3GS to 4 similar internals, big exterior design.
    4 to 4S big internal upgrade, similar external
    4S to 5 big all around. (outlier, should not have had such a major SoC upgrade)

So 5S/6, what's in a name, who cares? Lets say the exterior stays similar. What happens internally? SoC? It will be time for the A7.

2010 A4
    2011 A5
    2012 A6
    2013 A7... quad-core doesn't play out as necessary for mobile devices. I predict more efficient dual core. Maybe they go CortexA15, but probably they'll go with another evolution of Swift. If they go quad-core, it's because the design team failed to execute on a significant evolution of the Swift and they had to brute force it with quad-core which won't be near as energy efficient. Then expect tradeoffs to maintain battery life.

----------

Thunderbolt ports are too few and far between.

USB3 isn't necessary unless they upgrade their internal Flash memory to transfer at that speed. Most people use WIFI, WIFI backup when charging on nightstand, iTunes Match.

The cable is drifting away. It may happen, but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile place to dedicate engineering hours.

16. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I wish they made battery duration like in the 4....

17. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I hope they are going to make an iphone 5.5 and use the same screen as in the galaxy note2 and put in a larger battery.

Who needs a faster processor anyway. The a5 was already fast enough. Anything more than that is just for bragging rights

18. richmds macrumors regular

Now that Jony is in charge of more, this changes everything.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Dear god, no!