iPhone 5S when iPhone 6 is released.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warriorz, Aug 28, 2014.

1. warriorz macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Do you think Apple will limit the 5S to one storage size (16GB?) just like they did, and still do, with the 4S only available at 8GB. Do you think they'll even still sell the 5S?

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I think it is still too early yet to predict what Apple will do with the 5S.

3. MorphMan macrumors member

If the 5C is doing well it could see an upgrade to 5S specs and the 5S gets dropped.

Apple will ditch something. They're not going to keep the full line of 5S and 6 going and they want a lower cost model in the market.

4. warriorz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was thinking that. They'll want the 6 as their premium model, and I suppose a 'value' product which the 5C fits, especially now they have a 8GB model. Shame as I think the 5S will easily hold as an excellent high spec phone for at least a couple of years.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I agree but don't know if they'd keep the C over the S. Time will tell.

6. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The 5s and 5c will stay in the lineup. They're just going to drop down one spot like always. Just imagine the 5c is the 5 because that's what it is and it's just like every other lineup.

I don't understand why people are overthinking this... There's no "leaks" of a "C" model. The 5.5" will be positioned as a different product line all together so unless they are going to keep the 4s...

7. warriorz thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think that's likely. If so that means Apple will be offering the 5C, the 5S, the iPhone 6 4.7inch, and the iPhone 6 5.5inch. Doesn't seem like a consolidated line up. But who knows.

Not sure what you mean about "leaks" of a "C" model, it's already released.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I don't think they will be selling any iPhone 4 or 5 models. My thinking is that the limited release of the 8GB 5C was a test run. See if folks would bite. The plan being that from now on every iPhone release will be two models. A poly based 'C' and a metal based 'S'.

9. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I hope they keep the 5s going and drop the price $100 for the holidays. Promised my wife one for Christmas. The 4" screen is plenty big enough for us.

10. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I think they will sell out the 5S and then produce only the mid range like 32 for those people like my inlaws who want the iphone but don't use most features.

11. Deeds500 macrumors regular

As someone else indicated above, they will probably keep the 5S or 5C for those that don't want a bigger screen.

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Are you serious?!?!? What's not likely about it? Seriously!

What I meant about leaks of a "C" model is... There's been no new leaks of a new iphone "c." Really quite simple.

The 5.5" will be positioned as a totally different product not as a phone... It may not even be called iphone...

That then leaves us with iPhone 6, iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. Nice and consolidated. Thank You!!!

----------

I can't tell if this is a serious post or not. I have seen nothing in rumors or leaks of an updated polycarbonate model coming out. If they do update the "c" line it will probably be when the 6s is released not now.

The only thing getting discontinued is the iPhone 4s. iPhone 5 buyers were royally pissed last year when the 5 was discontinued for the 5c. Don't believe me google that...

----------

This I can agree with. Someone who sees the bigger picture of things. If Apple brings out a 5.5" and a 4.7" what about the people who wants a smaller screen... The iPhone 5c? What about the people who doesn't want plastic and a nice premium phone ... Ohh the iPhone 5s. It's really simple.

13. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i wouldn't mind trading in my POS iPhone 5 for an iPhone 5C despite it having the same internals. the whole chamfered edge w/ anodized aluminum coating was an epic fail. this thing scratches so damn easy and not only that, but normal wear and tear results in the coating flaking off. nothing like the rock solid durability of my iPhone 4S

14. td1439 macrumors 6502

td1439

I don't see them making the 5S a plastic phone. They stopped making the 5 because it was so similar to the 5S and they didn't want it cannibalizing 5S sales. The 5S will (most likely) be nothing like the 6. I just don't see them offering two plastic phones as the bottom two offerings in the lineup.

15. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

They'll probably keep it, and just drop the price. Like they always do.
    When the 6S comes out, the 5S will most likely fulfill the spot the 4S is filling now.

But, who knows? Time will tell.

16. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is most liky the truth. Last year Apple discontinued the iPhone 5 and mixed the lineup one time and now everyone thinks that gonna happen every year...

17. warriorz thread starter macrumors regular

Still, I can see some folks who don't want a larger screen, but want top spec going out and getting a high storage 5S now just in case Apple don't keep it and keep the 5C as their 'base' model.

18. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

If someone really wants a top spec phone, they will stop crying, buy whatever flagship apple releases and move on with their life.
    I personally rue the day that apple lied to y'all and told you that 3.5" was perfect, then 4" was perfect.
    That whole 'I don't want a bigger screen so I'll just pout' argument really gets on my nerves, like on some real ****.

People will buy whatever apple releases. Apple will tell us that 4.7" is perfect and then everyone will believe it.
    /rant over

Anyway, the 5s is really future proof, so it'll be good in the future, especially for the ones that don't want a bigger screen.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm agreeing with you that Apple will keep the 5c as the base model at free, but you seem to be forgetting an important price point at $99. That's where the 5s WILL come in at. It willbe $99 on contract. The 5c willbe free. The iPhone 6 4.7" will be $199 or $249 whatever they decide and then I would Say the 5.5" will be a different product line and probably $299 on contract.

If Apple discontinues two of the phones they have now then they will have messed up pricing and not hi every price point. We know the 4s is gone... How could they discontinue anything else??

20. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I think Apple should offer 3 models, the iPhone 6 4.7" the iPhone 6 5.5" and lastly the iPhone 5C for free on Contract.

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Again I'll ask you ... Where is the mid range phone at? What fills that spot? Both iphone 6's will be the flagships. The 5c will be the entry level and the 5s will be the mid range phone. Therefore they hit every price point. There not going to not have a phone at the $99 price point it just won't happen

22. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I think the 4S will be dropped, they'll have the 5C, 5S and 4.7 iPhone 6.

Personally, I feel their product line ups are becoming to cluttered and will see a simplification in the next couple of years.

23. warriorz thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with the above quote in general, certainly the line up for iPhone will be cluttered if they don't do something about the current line up when the two variants of the 6 are announced and released. (But I do think they have at least started to declutter their other ranges; the MBA's and rMBP's are getting there, slowly, but still getting there, probably even more so when they announce the new 12" MBA)

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is my prediction.

Wondering if we will see the C model get touchid?

----------

I think it's already cluttered... (to be clear I am agreeing with you guys)

4S
    5C
    5S

Which to get? It's not clear to the average Joe. It's not even clear to a lot of the salesmen I hear talking about phone features.

25. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

I had that same question today given how close the 9/9 event is now. I currently have a 5 for personal use and a 5s for work (Blackberry unfortunately not available anymore for that). I'm now thinking if I should go and change my 5 for a 5s to have some extra lifespan before needing to evaluate if there will be any alternatives by then. I certainly will not have a bigger phone given that the 5 is already too big (especially now that I have to carry around two of them most days).

It's an overall sad development that Apple caves in (yet again) to fulfill ghetto consumer needs over business user needs. I hope they keep something small around, tighten up their security protocols for email and make a bunch of core applications more reliable instead of going for the gaming crowd and other nonsense.