iPhone 5s yellow tint compared to iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Sorry to be the guy that makes this thread but my 5s has a slight yellow hue tcompared to my iPhone 5. This is similar to what we first saw with the 5 last September. And it's weird because I thought my 5 had a yellow hue but maybe it gradually lessened over time. Not sure. Anyway compared to both my 5 and my sister's 5, the 5s definitely has a slight yellow hue to it. Will this go away? Anyone noticing the same? It's kinda noticeable in iOS 7 given that there's so much white or what's supposed to be white.

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

gluegate?

3. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Possibly but the hue is uniform and even distributed so I would think it's the actual screen.

4. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Has the yelow tint gone a few weeks in or still like day 1?

5. cababah macrumors 68000

Each iphone is more yellow than the model that preceded it. Oh sorry, it's not "yellow" it's just "warmer."

6. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I hear the screen has to burn in.

7. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Very useful post
    Thanks

8. averlus macrumors regular

Can someone post visual examples of this happening? I keep reading about it but I've never seen it.

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I noticed that my black 5s had a yellowish, washed out tint compared to the white 5s on display at my local Best Buy. Quite annoying to be honest and I doubt it's going to go away.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

We are going to see many thread like this ...
    What I can say is to compare 5s with other 5s, not with previous generation phones, because it could be a different choice of calibration made by the manufacturer.
    If your 5s is different from another 5s could be a defective (or poorly calibrated) screen. If it's different from a 5, could be a different screen (with same size and resolution).

I don't think the time is going to change the calibration: it's just you that finally get accustomed to the new tint.

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

"Yellow hues" are actually screens that are calibrated close to 6500K (which is considered ideal). It has nothing to do with glue, and it certainly will NOT disappear over time. I have said this hundreds of times over the past years, yet still people think it's something that goes away. Color temperature does not magically change.
    This is nonsense. Screens vary (take 10 different iPhones and you'll have 10 different screens), and so does color temperature. At each iPhone launch, a user pops up who previously had a relatively cool screen (high color temperature) that now has a warmer (lower color temperature) screen. That's it. The average screen is not getting warmer (apart from the 4S - 5 upgrade, after which displays are on average more closely calibrated to 6500K because of the sRGB screens). That was back in the old 2G/3G/3GS days. No way that you're gonna find two 5S phones that are so different from eachother. I'll bet you a 5S on that ;).

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

actually thats what my 4 and 4S looked like on the left. the iPhone 4 was the first model with this issue that I ever saw

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

15. gCloud macrumors 6502a

great post thanks

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Youuu r WeLcOmE:p

17. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

When I first opened the box and did some stuff with my phone and noticed what seemed to be more of a yellow tint. The fix for me was turning up the brightness. It was on "Autobrightness", but the setting was too low. I turned up the brightness and that yellowness was gone immediately.

18. syd430 Guest

Please don't spread misinformation. The truth is, there is a lot of panel variation. The next screen you get might be warmer or it might be cooler. I've gone through many iphone 4's, 4s's, 5's and now have a 5s. Some have been warmer some have been cooler. They don't get warmer with each new model. That's just some BS you made up. Then again 90% of this board is made up BS.

19. cababah macrumors 68000

Congratulations, you won a free cookie.

20. Rocksue macrumors newbie

I had two iphone 5S in my hand. One had a warmer screen but sharper with saturated colors. It felt "funny" and vivid. The second one is neutral. Just to tell that every models have a different screen. I liked both thought.

edit : IMHO, the worst is bluish screen.