iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teknikal90, Sep 24, 2012.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

What do you guys think will be in it?? I'm skipping this round - I'm on a 4S and am not convinced I want to ditch the dock connector just yet. And I'm not sold on the use of aluminium over stainless steel just yet...

So my prediction:

- A7 chip (iPad 4 will have the A6x) - Quad Core + twice the graphics again.
    - 10mp camera
    - 128gb Memory - (ipod classic will finally have no reason to live)
    - More colours

I'm currently on the 'S' upgrade path....3GS --> 4S --> 5S...
    I feel like this path has been 'better' historically. Not as exciting as this way doesn't have new designs... But the most substantial internal upgrades seem to exist here. 3GS is powerful enough to adopt most of iOS 5 and even got a bit of iOS 6!... Whereas the 4 seems so underpowered now that even iOS 6 on it feels like an afterthought.

Thoughts?

2. close2reality macrumors 6502

already.....?

Attached Files:

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I don't think we'll have quite that dramatic a speed boost, and I don't think Apple will go quad core. I'd expect about a 30-50% increase in speed with a similar architecture. Probably an improved camera, but I hope they don't just stuff more megapixels in there. The current camera can't actually resolve 8 MP due to noise, so adding more just adds more noise in this case.

I'd love to see sizes go to 32/64/128. not sure if it'll happen, but it'd be nice.

I expect NFC with fingerprint authorization (Apple has a deal with a company for just this sort of thing), the same external body design.

I expect (and hope) that the big improvements will be software based. They really don't even need to do that much...just pay some of the jailbreak developers for a few things. They could honestly just implement NCSettings, FolderEnhancer, SwipetoSelect and iWidgets, and it would be seen as a huge step up.

4. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I doubt A7 chip
    I doubt 10mp camera
    I very much doubt 128gb
    And I seriously doubt more colours!

The camera and chip would be awesome though.

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Well if the 4s is any indication the S cycle upgrades is where Apple will try to implement something new.. A La Siri last year with the 4s, so I'm sure Apple will throw something into the 5s that is only usable by the 5s and then we'll get to hear all the 5 adopters complain and moan "that's not fair why can't my phone do that"..

I myself am doing the S upgrade cycle..

6. auero macrumors 65816

A6, same ram, better camera and I think some limited feature that 5 owners won't be get unless they upgrade like when Siri was released on the 4S.

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Ditto with a few additional thoughts...

1. Improved SIRI
    2. Improved Maps
    3. Improved iOS 6 (Updated)
    4. Improved speed, but not dramatic. It's pretty fast now
    5. Improved camera but as kirky29 said, doubt 10 MP. 8 MP is fine with a better sensor.
    6. Same entry level 16 GB storage on up to 64 GB.
    7. Same two colors. Apple has shown over the years with the iPad/iphones that it likes Black and White... A lot.
    8. Fingerprint scanner. A good chance

8. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I just feel that we're only just scratching the surface of what the PA semi acquisition can do.
    Next year the chip will be even better I think.

I actually agree with the 2 colours thing again.

Siri will no doubt be better (or else, android takes the lead there...)
    Maps better get better...

I don't see how fingerprint will do antyhing though...

As per the past, the killer feature on the S series are functions - ie software.
    on the 3GS, it's multitasking (albeit it came a year later), on the 4S it's SIRI...

Contrast this with the main series... the 4's killer feature is the retina display and new design. the 5's killer feature is again, the screen and new design.

Here's to hoping the 5S again breaks new ground

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

A7 Quad Core CPU Quad Core GPU
    128GB
    Not sure about colors, some people go crazy thinking if black or white is right for them
    12MP Camera with 8-lens
    1900 mAh

10. nitemare macrumors regular

they will finally get rid of the number and call it "the NEW iPhone"

11. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

100% agree.

I do actually think NFC could show up.
    Has the 5 got bluetooth 4? If not, probably that too.

Thinking about it...there isn't much that they can really add. Well there is, but it's Apple we're talking about ;)

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Bluetooth 4.0 has been here since 4S

13. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

No, god, please no. I believe they only changed the iPad's nomenclature because the iPad mini will be released soon. It would have been even more confusing if they had named it iPad 3 and iPad Mini 1. I believe the iPhone will stand as a singular line, so numerical names 4, 4S, 5, 5S will probably stick for now.

So from your guys predictions it seems as though you will either have the latest hardware/design (3G, 4, 5) if you upgrade today OR the latest software/features (3GS, 4s, 5s?) if you upgrade next year. Has it really become that predictable?

14. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Ahh something in my mind said it already was. Sure I've read somewhere on here that it wasn't.
    Maybe it's all in my mind ;)

15. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I dont think they will be able to do this until the 6 or even the iphone 7, but six rows of icons would be the bomb. Thats what I call technology :apple:

16. PedroDias, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

PedroDias macrumors member

improved battery life with double the capacity of the current iPhone, what, btw, will be the big addition on the new iPhone
    A7 triple core processor (one of about 400-600 hz for background applications and the other 2 the same as the actual A6 chip and quad core graphics).
    1080p front camera
    improved rear camera
    maybe faster charging
    32 GB entry-lvl and the new 128GB iPhone!

And now the bigger change:

it will be software related, iOS 7.
    Improved multi-tasking (android-like), thats where the extra battery and the triple-core processor come in. <- Iphone 5s exclusive
    widgets, finally! <- might be available for the 5 too
    Improved Siri
    Improved Maps
    new interface with a slight chance of not using the rounded corners and maybe a menu interface, not displaying all the apps on the main page (because of the widgets)
    Face recognition (to unlock your iPhone and stuff)

i doubt this generation will have fingerprint recognition and nfc because of the form factor. Sorry guys, but if you really are expecting nfc on the 5s, forget it, it won't happen...

17. appswipe macrumors 6502

Actually, despite the names, Im starting to think that the phones arent paired by 2's but rather by 3's.

First Wave: Original iPhone, 3G, 3GS
    [​IMG]

Second Wave: iPhone 4, 4S, 5
    [​IMG]

Third Wave: The All New iPhone 6 (2013)
    ???

With the competition getting so much stronger this year then it might feel stale if they go 4 generations of the same design. So I think it would make perfect sense for Apple to skip a 5S and go straight to an all new design.

18. mateo124 macrumors regular

In other news, iPhone 6 will be out in 2014. Any speculation as to what it will have? A8?? 14mp camera???

19. PedroDias macrumors member

A8 (very low power consumption quad-core and quad core graphics)
    12mp camera with very nice lenses
    NFC
    Finger-print recognition
    maybe a 4.1" 720p screen (higher density)
    a 2-3 days lasting battery (maybe of liquid-metal)

20. appswipe macrumors 6502

Well, whenever the new design comes out, I wouldn't mind if it went a little bit thicker. I don't care about more megapixels, but I do care about better optics and the current case is a it too thin to accommodate anything bigger than what they have. I carry my phone everywhere and I really would like to take good pictures indoors/low light.

21. PedroDias macrumors member

Better camera at low light would be awesome

22. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Im sure there working on already takes 3 years in the making

23. nitemare macrumors regular

but apple never called it the iPad 1, just iPad. if there is an iPad Mini it would just be called iPad Mini, so they could've called it the iPad 3 with no confusion with the mini IF its released.

i will say we will get the standard upgrades. iOS 6, better camera, Siri improvements, faster Wifi (b,g,n,ac)

24. taedouni macrumors 65816

I don't think that the 5S will feature major upgrades such as the 4S.
    I believe it'll have a 15-20% increase in computing and graphical performance.
    I believe that they'll use a larger capacity battery that is about the same size.
    They'll probably end up using a 12MP camera and will replace the current storage lineup to 32/64/128.
    They will need some new features that they can brag about so I wouldn't be surprised if they use finger print scan on the home button (Apple bought the company that made these features for laptop brands. Also the company said that they would stop working with those companies), they will also beef up security of the latest iPhone that way they can further advertise that they offer the most secure device in the world (probably targeting the corporate and government world).
    They will NEED to use USB 3.0 with the lightening connection (should be compatible with USB 2.0 just like how current USB 3.0 devices are).

25. ivnj macrumors 65816