iPhone 6 1920x1280?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beosound3200, Mar 5, 2012.

1. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

do you think this is possible? i read somewhere that SIII will feature 4.8 1080p screen (rumor) so it crossed my mind. iPhone will probably feature a bigger screen and i just dont see apple going below 300dpi, so they will either up the resolution or make it 3.8 inches max (303dpi). if they wanna go bigger they would need to multiply the resolution by 2 again to avoid fragmentation issues (so it could run older apps), or something like certain bars and/or buttons (ICS). the mentioned screen would have 576dpi at 4.0 inches which is pretty staggering, but if samsung can do one with 458dpi... what do you think?

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That would mean 577 ppi on a 4 inch device.
    Very unlikely in the near future.

3. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I heard it's going to be a 22" widescreen. Gonna be hard to cary but it will smoke those droids!

FFS who the flip cares.... How many months away is it until the iPhone 5 comes out?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No. It's already 'retina', the pixel density is intense, and it works easily in one hand.

Improvements in contrast in daylight is the only innovation I see relevant until some incredible form factor revolution occurs such as the shift to full touch screen devices.

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

If the screen size stays the same and they double the resolution again, you won't see much difference because the pixels are already at the limit of human vision. So no real upside, but it'd cost more and need a much more powerful graphic processor to power it. Can't see it happening ever, never mind soon, there's just no point.

If the screen gets bigger and they double resolution, they'll have to double the screen size and you'll have a 7" phone. All the apps will have to be re-written too, because there's so much more screenspace. If they don't double the screen size but increase it by say 25%, you'd end up with 25% bigger buttons.

Most likely they'll just increase screen size very slightly and resolution will stay the same. This way the existing interface works fine, current apps work fine, you don't need more power and the screen still looks fantastic.

I reckon if they increase past 4" screen size they'll need to change the resolution completely, doubling it won't help. But I can't see them making phones bigger than that anyway, they're just too big for most people.

7. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i agree, there isnt much point in increasing dpi past 300 but i just cant think of a way apple could increase the screen size (past 3.8 inches, at current resolution it would stay above 300dpi) stay above 300 dpi and avoid fragmentation.

why would they double the screen size? they would just make screen 4.0 or maybe a bit higher with double the resolution. that way they would avoid fragmentation and make room for more UI in newly written apps, so both legacy + new.

if they increase the resolution by lets say 25% would it work? or are the buttons, UI resolution dependent? so we would be seeing black borders around UI for legacy apps?

new iPhone could be 3.8 with 300 dpi, but i still think that they are willing to answer the competition with theirs 720p and even 1080p (SIII rumors).
    the thing is they just need to rework the whole concept if they are going for 4.0 inches, and the easiest way (and best from the marketing standpoint) is 1280p resolution, it is possible but the only question is 'is it cost-effective'?

ipad 3 will probably have 2048x1536 with a5x or a6 so i dont think that there is a gpu bottleneck

http://pocketnow.com/smartphone-news/toshiba-builds-retina-topping-lcd-display-with-nearly-500-ppi

----------

just for the sake of discussion, nothing more, you dont need to get involved if you dont want to

8. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd like a 4" retina display

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

300DPI isnt a real constraint, its imaginary.

Do some research.

11. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it is a real constraint, made by apple with iphone 4, and that is the only constraint they are dealing with right now, perhaps things will change after ipad 3 announcement

do some research

if you dont have any positive thoughts to contribute, please dont contribute at all

12. psonice macrumors 6502a

If they go past 4", it's not resolution that will cause fragmentation - it's size. Devs would have to start changing their apps to work better with the new, bigger screen. Otherwise what you're suggesting is that we have giant buttons everywhere, but increase resolution so they're sharp giant buttons.

If they go for a bigger device I think they'll just accept that it's different size and needs a slightly different UI, and pick a new resolution. That's all they did with the iPad after all.

The android devices are different. They can go to 1280x720 or higher *because they're physically huge*. On a small phone it makes no sense at all, you're just wasting pixels and wasting power drawing them for no extra benefit.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

As long as the screen size ratio is the same it should be a non issue. The problem apps that would have expected issues would be poorly designed. In coding you should not use a pixel location as your base but instead let the OS handle it all.
    Apple made it appear that it was as a problem when it isn't.

It is when you screwed with the ratios that stuff goes haywire.

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yeah, iPhone 23 will be 123434453433x123344545345534 and 23423423423423423 ppi. :mad:

15. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, i understand, but like i said, it would avoid fragmentation issues, old apps would still be working full screen without any modification, only UI would be larger. it also opens gate to developers for richer UI, more buttons, more options, etc. it would be pretty 'friendly' transition period

i dont remember, how did they solve iphone -> ipad 1 transition, black bars? i think thats exactly the thing apple is trying to avoid, hence the doubling of resolution in iphone 4 and probably ipad 3

i agree with you, need just doesnt exist if iphone stays below 3.8 inches, but if they decide to go to 4.0, or even higher?

the technology is there, but when will it be cost-effective? remember, who ever dreamed to have 300 dpi device in their pockets.

im just trying to find a solution to the problem, how to run legacy apps on bigger screen/bigger resolution iphone without black bars. if we answer that question we might as well know the future :)

and you certainly agree, i dont think iphone will be the only sub 720p phone on the market in 2013.

----------

if this is correct, then im looking for solution to the problem that doesnt exist. why did apple made it appear as a problem?

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

1. Apple marketing-- They will bend the truth as far as possible. It one way to cover for the fact that Apple lags behind in screen size or even choices in screen sizes.

2. Apple covering for lazy and poor developers. I would not be surpised in the least that there are some apps that people like that were designed poorly that did not use the proper setting things up.

For the most part Apple made a problem out of nothing. As long as the ratio is not changing then it is a non issue. It is the screen ratio that is the key issue.

17. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so the problem '1.5 physical pixels displaying 1 virtual pixel' doesnt exist if apps are properly coded? it could be that developers are indeed lazy, but then the problem still exists and apple needs to solve it.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And the question comes up, Can you tell the differences if something is off by 1 pixel either direction?

The answer is no you not be able to tell the difference. It really is a non issue. It was something Apple marketing and Apple fanboys made up in spreading FUD over it. The lie got to the point that people started believing it and continuing to spread it. It is a non issue and one that Apple more or less has already solved. The problem was solved way back in the 90's when addressing multiple resolution on desktop computer back then. It is not a new issue to solve but one that was addressed a long long time ago.
    People forget that desktop computers have a lot of different resolutions and sizes to deal with and it is a non issue there.

19. Skika macrumors 68030

Yes, but still the mouse as a pointing device is not as sensitive as the touch interface to scalling changes, meaning there are more issues when dealing with scalling apps made for touch screen interface because the finger is not as flexible as a mouse.

20. kre62 macrumors 68000

I've done my research, you apparently have not.

Apple did not establish a 300DPI number for retina. What they established was that on a 3.5" screen, at 12 inches from your face, you cannot discern individual pixels above 300DPI.

On a 4" screen, held 14" from your face, that number drops to about 260. So the same resolution on a 4" screen is still Retina.

The retina calc needs to be redone for every combination of screen size and viewing distance.

The 300DPI hard-and-fast guideline is a myth, propagated by ignorant people who have not done their homework.

21. beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, it isnt actually solved, thats why lcd monitors have something called 'native resolution' so everything except that resolution looks blurry. thats the problem im referring to. if 1.5 physical pixels display 1 virtual pixel images become blurry, am i right? thats why apple decided to double the resolution in the first place, so 4 pixels would display 1 pixel. the apps would certainly run, but imagine how they would look (ui elements, art, etc.) is there a possibility for developers to use vector graphics?

----------

you honestly think apple will come out with an iphone below 300 dpi mark? do your homework and look at the competition. im not interested in concepts about 'retina' display, im more interested what will apple do with their future phones, hence the thread.

the hostility on this forum is just unbearable

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to point to games and OS that have been addressing the issue of different resolutions for well over a decade. You are confusing hardware with software.

The reason why things look blurry on LCD when using something over than native is 'pixels' so to speak become different sizes so you have the issue of different size pixels.

This is software not a hardware issue and software wise it has been addressed for I will say 15+ years now.

23. beosound3200, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

beosound3200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so what you are saying is that theres no drawback in using different resolution (not double, same ratio) with current apps?

but if i run a game on 1280x1024 monitor in 1024x768 resolution upscaled to full screen it looks blurry.

24. kre62 macrumors 68000

It's not hostility, its making sure people like you have the correct information. I see you are now backing off your claim of a hard and fast 300DPI requirement for Retina, and are now saying its a matter of competition. Well the competition point is another issue and can be debated. However, as far as what defines retina and what doesn't, I'll go ahead and refer you to my other, correct, post.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Is the doubling better than just using same ratio yeah but not as much as Apple has lead your to believe.

In upscaling no matter if it is doubling or same ratio you still are going to have the same issues in the upscaling. There is guessimation done when things are upscaled software can not do it perfectly as like I said it has guesses and assumptions in it.

Top it off you need to look at screen size and try to figure out if you can tell the difference. In your example you are using what I am going to guess is a 17-19in 4:3 monitor. Depending on your distance that is going to be pretty easy to tell of the issues. The pixels are quite a bit larger there. Phone screen size no so much.

Remember it is always better to downscale instead of upscale as the guessing is dangers are not as bad as things do not have to be added only removed.