Iphone 6/6 plus Southpoint Apple Store Durham, NC

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by calwlvrn23, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calwlvrn23 macrumors newbie

I have been lurking for years and finally joined up. Just seeing if any members plan on camping at the Southpoint store. If anyone has any experience with launch days and can provide the best time to arrive please share. Looking forward to Friday...good luck all that didn't make the cut for a pre-order plus.

2. calwlvrn23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on now all over 300 views and no one is heading to Southpoint for the launch. Just looking for some pointers and recommendations from people with experience at this store as this will be my first time queuing up for a launch day.

3. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I camped a few years back - for the iPhone 4 launch, IIRC. The line wrapped toward the Barnes and Noble and down the courtyard. I got there about 10:00 or so the night before I think and was back at the back of the store. By the next morning, the line was wrapped all the way around the building to in front of Restoration Hardware.

I doubt it will be that bad this year, though who knows, there are lots of people who want the 6+ that have month or more wait times on preorders. I would call the store in the next day or so and see if there is a limit to how soon you can get there and if they expect a huge line. They will not always tell you much, but they will at least hint sometimes. I did read that they are doing an electronic placeholder system which should be pretty accurate. for the 4, they were just sending a guy out every so often to count the people in line and telling them it would be close or if they were definitely not getting one.

They had the pick up line coming in from the other way at the jewelry store. They let a few people from each group in at a time and had a good number of people to coordinate the lines. It was very hot that year and they had Apple employees giving out water and bananas. Here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

I live about five minutes away but I ordered online so I won't be joining the fun. Enjoy! Although it looks like there is rain and maybe storms forecasted for Thursday/Friday, so pack an umbrella.

5. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Or go to the Crabtree store instead.

6. calwlvrn23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to arrive at the right time and be towards the front of the pack as I am trying to get the 6 + and was unsuccessful with the preorder. I'm over by Ft. Bragg and have plenty of carrier options here but just don't trust that I would be successful at one of the local ATT stores. I guess I have a couple more days to plan accordingly.

7. mojitoman6 macrumors newbie

I plan on getting there at around 3-4 AM, there are 18 iPhone models with this release (colors, capacity, 6/6+) so as long as everyone in front of me isn't trying to get a Grey 64GB 6+ then I should be fine. It is also worth noting that I got an iPhone 5 on launch day at Apple Crabtree at around 4 PM and did not wait in any lines so we might be hyping this up for nothing.

8. calwlvrn23 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. mojitoman6 macrumors newbie

I dont know why people think preorders are an indication of stock for regular customers... the iphone 5 did the same thing.. sold out on preorder and got pushed back 3-4 weeks while people walked into stores and bought them without a preorder. Who is to say that the stock of walk-in phones isn't 3-4x that of the set allocated to preorders?

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Hoping to get there around 4AM for the TMobile 64GB 6 in Space Grey.

I'll probably call in tomorrow night to see what they are "expecting" if they can divulge such information. Maybe I'll be going to the T-Mobile store in Durham as well if it doesn't work out.

I'm also curious how long I'll have to be in line for after opening.

11. kidtriton macrumors newbie

Beware of what happened to us at Crabtree last year: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17966291&postcount=18

We were told so many things that were conflicting by the Apple store and mall security. We were told (a) we could stay in the mall near the store (b) we would be run off all mall property at 11pm (c) we could line up outside the entrance doors (d) we had to stay in the parking deck area... We were finally allowed to stay in the parking deck area and the two on duty security people said it was really their own discretion so as long as we were all in one orderly area we could stay but if anyone got out of hand we'd all have to leave. Then we were told (a) the mall doors would open at 6am (b) the mall opened for walkers only at 6am and if they thought we were hanging by the Apple store before 10am they would kick us off the property (c) they didn't know the Apple store was opening at 8am because they didn't get a permit to open early, anyway for the rest of the story read the post I linked.

12. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Ouch, that is exactly what I was afraid would happen when I camped out for the iPhone 4 and decided to go to Southpoint. Seems its hit or miss. As it turned out, in 2010, the line was allowed inside the mall with no issues.

13. mojitoman6 macrumors newbie

I have not heard of problems like this at southpoint since the apple store is outside.. I can see it happening at Crabtree, but has anyone actually had trouble with southpoint? Iphone 5S launch went smoothly at southpoint with people lining up the night before

14. golfdude macrumors regular

I think it was for the 4 that I went to the Best Buy across the street from Southpoint mall, there was maybe 20 in line when I got there around 4pm. I think that was the year it launched at 5pm? Can't remember. But the line at Southpont was nuts. I got the phone I wanted, black 64G. People at the Apple Store must have heard because at 5:30pm a mad rush of people came as I was leaving.

15. mojitoman6 macrumors newbie

I don't recall an iphone ever launching in the afternoon....

16. calwlvrn23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called Southpoint and was told that a manager checked the line about two hours ago and there were around 20 people already. If anyone is there currently can you confirm this. I don't want to miss my opportunity to get a solid place in-line. I also stopped by my local AT&T in which several people were already in line waiting for the 6 plus as well.

17. golfdude macrumors regular

Mabye your right...maybe it was the iPad 2. I can't recall. But, with pre-ordering fairly easy process now I won't wait in line. Especially if I wanted a 6+, odds are you aint' getting one.

----------

With what's posted on the macrumors front page if you want a 6+ you need to get inline now and that might not even be enough. If you wanted a 6 you could probably stroll in Friday afternoon and be fine.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The original iPhone went on sale at 6pm. Stores closed an hour before launch and put out all the displays. Fun times.

19. mojitoman6 macrumors newbie

I'm at southpoint now.. Got here at 9:30 PM and I'm 40th in line. Probably about 20 have gotten here after me and it's starting to grow faster..

20. calwlvrn23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was at southpoint yesterday...around the same in line. I got there around 915. It was a pretty decent group of people around me. The time went relatively fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.