iPhone 6/6 Plus - Tysons Corner, VA Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Clix Pix, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    OK, I don't see a thread here yet for who's planning to line up at Tysons Corner Mall this year, so here goes!

A friend and I are planning our strategy now as we both want the iPhone 6 Plus and we want it in the Space Grey. 128 GB. I have the feeling that demand for this will definitely exceed availability on Launch Day.

2. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Yea you guys are gonna have to camp out. Tyson's lines are like concerts!

3. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Yep! I'm a veteran -- beginning with the launch of the very first iPhone back in 2007! :)

4. Honest Truth macrumors member

So what's the plan? What time do they let people into the mall to line up?

5. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Not sure about what time they'll let people in this year. Back in 2012 apparently people were able to go into the mail at around 1:00 - 1:30 AM. That year I got there at around 3:00 AM and was delighted at being able to walk right in, get my wrist band and make myself at home for the next several hours. Other years, though, they have not allowed us into the mall until 5:00 AM or so, and people have had to hang around outside or in the parking garage. One year we weren't even allowed to park in the parking garage until a specified time. Each year seems to be a bit different. I imagine that it is the mall management which makes the decision and of course they need to hire extra security to cover this, too.

6. Honest Truth macrumors member

Hmm... I may call the security team tomorrow to see what they have planned for restrictions. Tell me about this wristband system? Do you think they'll do that again this year?

7. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

At last year's 5S September launch, my friend and I got to Tysons around 3am, and the mall kept everyone waiting outside in line until around 6am, then let us in a strict sequence. The mall security was great in making sure no one was cutting, especially some folks found another entrance to the mall and tried to sneak into the Apple store line, but the security people blocked and yelled at them. The store opens like 8am so around 7am, and an employee announces certain iPhone models (i.e. gold color) that are extremely limited (i.e. single digit amount).

Hey Clix Pix, were you at last year's launch?

8. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Last year's launch was the one that I missed. Later in the day, though, I wandered over to Tysons,inquired about the availability of what I wanted (Space Grey 64 GB AT&T) and was told, "sorry...." Instead of leaving the mall, though, then I strolled on over to the AT&T store....and was startled to learn that they had just what I wanted. Walked in there with an iPhone 5, walked out with the iPhone 5S.......

IMHO the wristband solution is a good one because it maintains crowd control, establishes a definitive count, and allows people to walk around more freely since their place in line is already established. I would imagine that they will use the wrist bands again this year -- I know they had them in 2012 and I believe it started in 2011.

9. Thrillafmmanila macrumors newbie

i will be waiting also.. not sure what time i will pop up. i always show up for every major launch. 4 5 6 etc etc.. none of the s models. I like waiting at tysons.

btw anyone contact security and find out the deal this year?

10. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

I called the mall management office a couple days ago and the lady said 5 am is when they will open the mall doors. I am sure that we will be able to line up earlier outside though. I just hope it isn't that crowded. Trying to get a 6 Plus because I was unable to reserve one for in-store pickup when the pre-orders came out.

11. Luckyguy18 macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie at camping for iPhones base on what I read and stuff, my best bet is to arrive at like 3-4 am right?

12. jtgamer, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

jtgamer macrumors member

I am also planning on joining as well right after work (aka setting up iPhone related stuff) and class. Knowing that the mall won't let anyone in till 5, where would the line be starting from? Near the parking garage near that Bloomingdales or the mall entrance by that outdoor store?

13. Zemepatis macrumors newbie

Last year they lets us line up outside by Cava. Security is already letting us line up in front of the Apple store. About 6 people in line already.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Any word on if they'll be letting you stay? Or will they move the line outside when the mall closes?

15. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I wonder how crazy Tysons will be later in the evening. I was there around noon last year at the 5S launch just walking by. Place was a madhouse. So many people. The line was ridiculous.

Good luck to those there tonight! :apple:

16. CongressDJ, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  17. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

Yeah, I can confirm this. I just called the security office, and the line is already forming. I don't really want to camp out. I may have to go to another Apple Store if this is the case.

18. CongressDJ macrumors member

Yeah, downside is camping. Although, as always, upside with Tyson's is greater inventory.

19. Zemepatis macrumors newbie

Just called security again and they said "Don't move from inside. That's where you'll stay for the night."

20. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

They definitely will have more inventory. But if there are letting people in now, I can't imagine how many people will be in line at 4/5 am because that is when I was planning to reach.

21. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

OK, we are at Tysons and the people who are in line here at the railing right outside the store. They will let those of us who are already here stay in the building. Others are being moved around the corner, near the Cava place, in the hallway. After that everyone else will need to be outside, I think.

Gonna be a long night!!

22. Luckyguy18 macrumors newbie

Sooo how many people are there now? Would it be ok if I get there at like 3-4 am??

23. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

Hey Clix Pix, I also was wondering, could you possibly update us on the line once? How many people do you think are in line and are they still trying to make people who didn't get to the mall in the afternoon/evening wait outside till the morning?

I am just wondering since I'm planning to reach around 4 tomorrow and I want to make a sort of informed decision on which Apple Store will give me the best chance to get a 6 Plus. Thanks in advance!

24. Thrillafmmanila macrumors newbie

I am in the hallway near the entrance of kava.. Probably #50 ... The line is about 65 deep atm

25. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I have the feeling that people who want the 6 Plus will be out of luck if they wait until 3:00-4:00 AM. Anyone who isn't in line atnd already in the building will have to wait outside. Looks like,about maybe 70 people in the other line. In my line there are 54 of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.