iPhone 6 64gb or iPhone Plus 16gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeHyche, Oct 4, 2014.

1. JoeHyche macrumors newbie

I don't want to spend more than $800 for the unlocked version. I would much prefer the Plus because this is going to main device for everything. However, I hear the 16gb is way too small.

2. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

iPhone Plus definitely ... and at least 64 Gb ! Or stay with your previous phone until you can afford a decent one ...

3. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Go with 6 if unwilling to spend extra $100. 16GB is not enough for most people's storage needs. I prefer 6 Plus in most scenwrios but definitely not with only 16GB.

4. CupertinoSlave macrumors 6502

CupertinoSlave

iPhone 6 64 gb for sure. I would only recommend the 6 Plus if you have giant mongoloid hands

5. vito macrumors 6502a

6 Plus 16GB for me - spotify + sync shows I watch. Only have Apps and games I use regularly. With pics and video I still have 9 GB free. Depends on your usage. I have never felt that I'm stuck for space. I also upgrade every year.

6. Bhs1975, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

6 64gb. I have the 6 plus 64gb. I could probably make 16gb work but I'm gonna keep this phone for 2 years and I want some breathing room.

7. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I would get the plus over the 6 even if 16gb as long as you played with the plus and know for sure that's what you want.

8. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I dont know how someone couldnt make it with 16gb.

I have 51 installed apps + pre installed apps. I have some photos. And some music.

But mostly I stream my music, videos and podcasts. If I go somewhere with no internet, I save articles to Instapaper to read and then remove them later, I make offline playlists to spotify etc. And I still have space left.

Currently I have used 5,8gb of space and 6,4gb left.

How can you not survive with 16gb. It's not even hard.

9. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

I have a new baby daughter too and videos eat up a lot of memory:

10. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

I usually go with 16GB for my phones and never have a problem. This time I had a 16GB plus and only had about 12 gigs free.after installing all my regular apps I had 8 gigs free. After using the phone for about a week I noticed FB started growing to over a half a gig. This is when I decided to return the 16GB phone and get the 64GB. 16GB is way to small now for the phones.

11. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

+1

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I made the same decision recently I had a cap I was willing to spend not because I didn't have more but that was the amount I decided was the most I should spend on a smartphone.

I went with the 64GB 6 because 16GB is actually 12GB and can fill up fast if you are lazy with managing whats on your phone, also because OTA updates need so much free space your 16GB actually becomes a device with 7GB of usable everyday space

13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

64GB 6 would be my choice, videos alone would take up large amounts of storage.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

64gb would be the.minimum I would get this generation

----------

How many of those apps are 1gb or 2gb games

15. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Why would you download those on iPhone? I have enough to play on my Playstation. Phone gaming is quite bad experience and its not even entertaining. I have just few simple games to kill time on when Im extremely bored.

Mostly I get my phone entertainment by reading news, articles, stories and social media. Also watching short videos and listening music.

16gb is still completely enough for few years.

Ofc this is just my point of view and I talk about my own experience.

16. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

You need at least 64 gb for the phone to be useful, so I'd go for the 6. I had 16 gb on my iPhone 5, and it got full quickly!

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

I'm not going to use the limited amount of data I have on something I could just put on my phone anyways. Also, it's quicker to retrieve data from internal storage, especially when I'm in an area with poor signal or no Wi-Fi. But if you're able to get what you want when you want it OTA, more power to you.

People download games on their phones because they want to play games on their phone... doesn't matter if you can't understand why they would want to do that, it is a perfectly valid reason to want more space on your phone, and it has been a valid reason since the introduction of the App Store in 2008. I'm glad that you acknowledge that it's just your personal viewpoint, but your tone suggests that anyone who uses their phone differently is using it wrong.

18. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

If I were purchasing a new phone today, I would buy the 6 64GB. 16GB does not offer much room for future expansion.

I have between 25 and 30 apps on my phone, as well as photos, videos, and music. That leaves me with 6.2GB free after about 18 months of use (with deletion of items I don't want/need).

OTA updates can require 5GB or so of free space. If I acquire more media and apps over the next year, I'll be a bit short on space for installing the next big iOS release.

At this point, I'll have to back up some items and delete on the phone, or use iTunes for the update.

64GB is better for convenience and future proofing. 16GB was ok back in 2012-2013, but with apps getting larger and iOS requiring more space, it's getting a bit restrictive.