Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 6, 6s, & 7 vs. iPhone SE: Should You Upgrade?

Locke Cole

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2019
Kohlingen
The 6s is a great phone, I just upgraded to it last year.

It's got a real home button, headphone jack, is plenty fast enough... It's pretty much the ideal iPhone.

I'm putting it in the same category as the 2012 15" MBP, the best Apple has ever built. It's only gone downhill since then.
Benchmarks can be misleading. In real life usage the 6s is only slightly slower than the 11. Definitely still a good phone. I heard that it may receive iOS 14 (we'll know for sure if it'll actually be the case during WWDC 2020).

I loved my 6s but had to give it to my parents. Their 6 was on its last legs last September (yes they share a phone). If this weren't the case then I would've carried on using the 6s instead of upgrading to the 8+. I'll probably use my 8+ until it breaks. No need to spend extra cash on a new phone when my current one works plenty well. I miss the headphone jack, but Belkin's Lightning Audio + Charge splitter suffices. To me it's better than spending money on AirPods which require regularly charging, are relatively easy to lose, and uses up some battery life (Bluetooth).

Lastly, not sure about the 15" 2012 MBP, but the 13" one is the final MacBook model with a CD/DVD drive I believe. Definitely a feature that some (or even many) people still prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: stinkhorn9
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Benchmarks can be misleading. In real life usage the 6s is only slightly slower than the 11. Definitely still a good phone. I heard that it may receive iOS 14 (we'll know for sure if it'll actually be the case during WWDC 2020).

I loved my 6s but had to give it to my parents. Their 6 was on its last legs last September (yes they share a phone). If this weren't the case then I would've carried on using the 6s instead of upgrading to the 8+. I'll probably use my 8+ until it breaks. No need to spend extra cash on a new phone when my current one works plenty well. I miss the headphone jack, but Belkin's Lightning Audio + Charge splitter suffices. To me it's better than spending money on AirPods which require regularly charging, are relatively easy to lose, and uses up some battery life (Bluetooth).

Lastly, not sure about the 15" 2012 MBP, but the 13" one is the final MacBook model with a CD/DVD drive I believe. Definitely a feature that some (or even many) people still prefer.
I was *sad* to trade-in my 6s for an xs max. But there was no comparison. The say the 6s is slightly slower than the 11 in real usage doesn't tell the entirety of the story of the improvements in hardware (and how that trickles down to functionality for users) over those few years.

I sometimes missed the headphone jack, but my ipad 7th has one and I love my airpods.

I didn't have to upgrade, but I wanted to. The biggest thing for me were the camera updates. (although, the larger screen, oled, face id plus more were also nice)

Comment

Locke Cole

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2019
Kohlingen
I was *sad* to trade-in my 6s for an xs max. But there was no comparison. The say the 6s is slightly slower than the 11 in real usage doesn't tell the entirety of the story of the improvements in hardware (and how that trickles down to functionality for users) over those few years.

I sometimes missed the headphone jack, but my ipad 7th has one and I love my airpods.

I didn't have to upgrade, but I wanted to. The biggest thing for me were the camera updates. (although, the larger screen, oled, face id plus more were also nice)
Of course the experience won't be as good on the 6s as it is on the 11, XS Max, or 8+. But it's still quite usable and the improvements aren't *that* huge to me (your mileage may vary). The 6 is another story.

Many people love the AirPods but as for me I prefer wired headphones as they're overall larger (therefore harder to lose) and no need to charge them.

Larger screens can be nice. I can personally vouch for that having went from the 6s to 8+. But there are many people who either prefer smaller screens or have no need for ones larger than say the 6/6s/7/8/SE2. There's no one size fits all.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.