Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone 6/6s owners, are you finally upgrading?

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Okay all you holdouts (myself included), I assume if you still use a 6/6s as your daily driver, you didn't see anything the past 4 or 5 years that warranted an update. Personally, I've found every iPhone from 6 right through to 11 to be rather ugly.

The iPhone 12 finally looks good. Reminiscent of the iPhone 4 and 5 which IMO were the best designed iPhones.

So are you finally giving in and upgrading this year?
And if so, are you going big and with the 12 Pro?
Or maybe, it's finding a great deal on an 11 Pro?

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I might, if I can get the right deal. I've still got seven payments left on my Pixel and while I am ecstatic that the basic design of my old iPhone 5 has returned I'm still not happy about the camera bump (the major reason I stuck with my 6s+ until May 2019).

Reactions: Julienne

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I accidentally dropped and broke my screen on my 6S Plus but was planning on upgrading this year anyway since this is most likely the last year of iOS support. It’s also been financially fantastic for me and my family so it is a no brainer (thank you COVID! That’s terrible to say but true ...).

I’m going to a 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue with a clear MagSafe case.I was waffling between the Pro and Pro Max but that sweet larger sensor and sensor OIS that only the Max has really made the decision a no brainer. I’m used to the Plus’s size and weight so that isn’t an issue for me.

NathanDrake

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2020
Yes, I have a 6S and I’m finally getting a 12 Pro

reasons:

- 5G future proofing
- 5 years worth of chip advancements
- 3X more RAM
- Larger OLED screen
- Better
- I love the design (outside of notch and bulky rear cameras)

The iPhone 12 is finally the phone I can buy and use for the next 5+ years or more. Getting a $350 trade in from ATT made the choice easier

Only thing I was disappointed by was lack of 120Hz but I assume there’s a reason for that when it comes to battery life, hopefully I won’t miss it too much but that’s the only upgrade on the horizon I’d have interest in

Last edited:

XBeatzX

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, entire household is upgrading all 4 of our 6s's and 6s+'s. Three of us are getting the iPhone 11 and one us the XR. Hoping on Friday Visible will be offering them with the $150-$200 Rebate card. This should bring the 11 down to the $400-450 range, and the XR down to $300-350. We would all love the 12 series, but save nearly $2k when it's all said and done. That's a nice Winter Holiday....

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Absent 5G, at least all the phones sold directly by Apple finally have decent band support for US customers. Band 14 on ATT, Band 71 for T-Mobile. It seems any other bands are mainly capacity bands, and not coverage bands.

mvray

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Bought my 6S on launch day. iPhone 12 128gb Black on order. Was going to wait a little while to upgrade, but IOS 14 totally screwed up the battery life on my 6S and it's now very laggy. I don't need the latest thing, just something that works for what I need.

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Yeah ordered the 128GB 12 Pro to replace my 64GB 6S+. Still works fine and for what I primarily use it for (as a phone and as internet radio tuner when walking or in the car) so it still filled my everyday needs. Having replaced my battery 18 months ago, I’m at 92% health. I did attempt upgrading during other recent releases (with the Xs, and last year with the 11, but each time, I found it silly as my current model still met my needs, but this year, should be it, I hope :p. My dad wants an Apple Watch 6 and this requires iOS 14. he’s stuck running iOS12 on his 6, so will just pass down my current phone to him.

Cplhicks

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Still using my original 64 gig 6 I bought on launch day in store. Just a plain old 6, not one of your fancy S or S+ ;). Ordered a 256 gig 12 Pro. Never really saw a major reason to upgrade. Not a huge fan of the Face ID, would prefer Touch ID on the button like the new iPads have. Even so, it was time to upgrade. Hopefully it will last me a long time. 6 is feeling its age a bit at this point, having already had the camera fixed and the battery replaced once.

Reactions: okieoutwest

Rockadile

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Also an iPhone 6 owner but holding out for another year. I was hoping to skip the notch generation entirely but that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. Would rather have a slim top bezel to get back the centered clock, more status icons, and maybe front dual-tone flash. If the iPhone 12 mini had ProMotion and side Touch ID though, it would have gotten me to upgrade.

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
The iPhone 12 is using a Gen 1 Qualcomm 5G modem thats bound to be a lot better next year. Less power hungry etc. The iPhone 13 will be to the 12 as the 6S was to the iPhone 6 -- better in every way. So I will wait

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
That’s what I think about every year which is why I kept delaying my upgrade. Once th8ng for sure is that I heard so many stories with the intel modems that I didn’t want to get one with it inside. Each year there will be something better the next time around So I could end up waiting forever. The touchId on the power button would be sweet for sure. Im going to miss my Touch ID (except when my hands were wet)

Reactions: okieoutwest

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
iPhone 6 here and yes, I am finally upgrading. Went with the 12 Pro and can't wait to be able to DL a few necessary apps that aren't avail on the 6 due to its age. But my 6 is working fine overall which is pretty amazing in this day and age.

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
california
The iPhone 12 is using a Gen 1 Qualcomm 5G modem thats bound to be a lot better next year. Less power hungry etc. The iPhone 13 will be to the 12 as the 6S was to the iPhone 6 -- better in every way. So I will wait

Even though the 6S was an improvement - no argument from me there - I think the 6 did fine. The RAM ended up being the biggest issue and why I traded in for an SE last August.

Now that the 12 is here, while I agree the 13 might be better next year, that's pretty much always the case and not enough of a reason for me to hold off... no reason to delay gratification in this wild 2020, COVID, who knows what will happen time. :)

satchmo

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Also an iPhone 6 owner but holding out for another year. I was hoping to skip the notch generation entirely but that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. Would rather have a slim top bezel to get back the centered clock, more status icons, and maybe front dual-tone flash. If the iPhone 12 mini had ProMotion and side Touch ID though, it would have gotten me to upgrade.

Wow that’s pretty remarkable extending it another year. My 6 is so slow that I have to upgrade this year.

Although some have suggested next year to be the optimal iPhone to buy, I keep my phones for a good five or six years. So this 12 should last me until we hit iPhone 17! 😂

Broadus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Wow that’s pretty remarkable extending it another year. My 6 is so slow that I have to upgrade this year.

Although some have suggested next year to be the optimal iPhone to buy, I keep my phones for a good five or six years. So this 12 should last me until we hit iPhone 17! 😂
My wife has the 6s that I bought within a couple of weeks of launch. Updating to iOS14, so we’re getting another year of updates and security. She is perfectly happy with it. I tried talk her into getting a newer one but it would be a waste of money to her. I need more of her grounded contentment.

I just put a new screen protector on it and was reminded what a fine phoneputer it’s been, one of Apple’s very best.

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007

It's actually a Gen 2 Qualcomm 5G modem (X55 if rumors are accurate.) X60 is coming in the next few months and will likely be in next year's model. I get your point though, as that third gen modem will be on the 5nm processor and use less power.

Reactions: frank33v

Mike Slayer

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
I would still be using my 6s if my car hadn't developed a leak in the sunroof during a heavy storm while I was at work and filled the center console with water while my 6s was in it and charging. After that happened I found a good deal on a iPhone SE 2020 so I picked that up. I will still be upgrading to the iPhone 12 mini when it comes out. The Wife and I decided to switch back to Verizon so we plan to upgrade to iPhone 12's ( iPhone 12 mini for me and iPhone 12 Pro Max for her) and pick up two series 6 apple watches when we go back to Verizon. I am very excited about the iPhone 12 mini and Series 6 44mm stainless case Apple Watch. I have worn a decent watch since I was a teenager. My last watch was a Citizen Skyhawk AT eco drive that I bought brand new in 2008. It is still working fine but I need to send it back in for some repair and TLC so I figured I would give the smart watch a try. I like a heavier stainless watch and bracelet so that is what I want in my Apple Watch. Seems like I keep getting deeper and deeper into the Apple Eco system. LOL

Reactions: Broadus

New York

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
I’m still using a 6 and am really looking forward to upgrading to the 12 Mini. I’ve been holding off upgrading for years hoping for a small square design, so am very happy they finally reintroduced one. The 6 works fine but is laggy and I would like a better camera. Also, my Apple watch and AirPod Pros aren’t fully functional, because they link to my 6 which isn’t getting the latest operating system updates anymore. I’ll therefore be effectively getting upgrades to three of my devices the day the 12 Mini arrives! 😊

Reactions: Broadus

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I had an iPhone 6s Plus. It was my favorite smartphone, if not favorite phone ever. I upgraded to a 7 Plus when the 8 Plus came out, fearing that the glass-on-glass and other body tweaks would cause reliability issues and have spent most of the intervening time regretting that decision. I wanted to go for the iPhone 11, but I didn't save up for it fast enough. On paper the 12 and 12 Pro are perfect upgrades to my old 6s Plus, and even my current 7 Plus. However, I'm all the more wary of such a new body style along with how much untested newness will lurk under the hood (MagSafe, 5G, etc.). So, I'm camping out the Apple Certified Refurbished iPhone section of the Apple Online Store for a 256GB iPhone XR and am going to use the $400-550 that I'm saving by not buying an iPhone 12 or 12 Pro towards saving for a more substantial upgrade one or two years down the road. It's not like the XR still isn't a good upgrade from a 7 Plus (lack of telephoto lens and decreased screen resolution aside).

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
6s Plus daily driver here, and yes, I’m finally upgrading to a 12 Pro Max. As others have alluded to, iOS 14 just about destroyed this phone from a battery life perspective and I’m overdue for an upgrade anyway.

I’ve kept this phone a long time because it’s been a fantastic device, but also, I had a lot of trouble financially adjusting to the loss of carrier subsidies and the true prices of these things. At the start of this year I changed jobs after a long, slow downward trajectory and am doing quite well now (almost embarrassing to say given world events), so it’s finally time to get something new and shiny. Plus I work in tech and was really getting mocked for having a phone this old. 😅

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.