iPhone 6: 8.0.2 Battery drain, GPS usage, Daily usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacSumo, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MacSumo macrumors regular

Question (1): Anyone notice a significant battery drain issue on your iPhone 6 after upgrading to 8.0.2 from 8.x?

Question (2): Did/Can you get more than 2 hours of usage on your iPhone 6 when using Maps + GPS + Turn by turn navigation?

Question (3): Is this below avg, average, or above avg?

usage: 7 hours 40 minutes
    standby: 15 hours 30 minutes

Safari took about 50% of the battery. Normal battery saving tips were applied, but cellular data, LTE, and wifi was turned on. Brightness <30%

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

1: My battery is roughly the same with 8.0 and 8.0.2
    2: You should definitely be getting more than 2 hours with Maps/GPS/Navigation. Yesterday I used it for about 2 hours and my battery dropped about 25 points.
    3: Battery usage looks a little low compared to mine, but there are so many variables. i.e. background refresh, signal strength and apps in use.

3. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

When did you get your device? I wonder if later production runs have more battery life than others. How much battery life do you get?

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I got my device on the 26th. So one week after launch. So I have had it for under a week, but I have been using it a lot more than my 5s and the battery is much better than my 5s.

iBackupBot is showing my battery capacity at 1900mah of 1751mah. I am at 109% capacity.

5. Derek87 macrumors 6502

1. anecdotally, it seems my battery discharges a little faster under 8.0.2 but that may be my imagination. i'm still targeting 8-9 hours per charge for normal use and 7 hours under worst case scenario based on an nearly 2 weeks of ownership.

2. for 1.5 hours of driving, the GPS used about 20% of my battery.

3. your number looks reasonable.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why would you think that later production runs have more battery life?:rolleyes:

7. MacSumo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

2. 30-40 minutes of Maps with navigation (with the screen off) dropped by the battery by 40 points.

3. It might be signal strength. How can I check? I get 1-3 'signal circles' at work. When out and about, all the circles are filled and I see LTE next to the signal. But, when I used Maps with navigation, I had a full signal yet the battery just kept draining.

It arrived a week ago; preordered on the first preorder date. Standby time seems okay since the battery life stays strong when not in use, but I can see the battery life start dropping when Safari is open (no videos). It seems to be the biggest drain next to Maps+navigation.

I might just get it replaced if this isn't normal. It's not worth fiddling with it.

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Your battery life seems fine for the 6. Not stellar, but nothing to worry about either.

:apple:

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

"Grass is greener" effect.

10. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Well, luckily for me i can't get iOS 8.0.2 to download to my phone. Seriously when I try to download it, all I get is an "upgrade requested" message and nothing happens. Anybody else experience this?

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you have anything below 3 bars of strength it is going to hurt your battery life. So if you have 1-3 it is definitely contributing to your battery loss. It might be beneficial for your to be on wifi when in low service areas if available. Then it's not constantly searching for a better signal.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sounds like too much grass!

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That catnip is good stuff. :p

Nah I think it's just human nature... everyone else's things are always nicer than yours.

Take facebook for example... everyone on Facebook seems to be going on trips and vacations, having fun doing fun stuff that you're not doing; and they're having a blast. While your life is meh... in reality their life probably sucks too.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I guess I am lucky as I do zero social media stuff. I joined once but had like 30 people trying to converse the next day so I pulled the plug. Too busy with work emails and texts.

15. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

For earlier runs of a particular version of the iPod Touch, screens were more yellow and warmer than later production runs which had less "yellow" screens and were cooler. Components can improve and change over time, you never know unless people bring up issues and share experiences.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Same situation as "you and Bob are both promoted but he got a corner office". You'd be like, WTF?

17. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I would reboot the phone and try again if you haven't tried that already.

18. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

My battery operates 2.89% slower on 8.0.2 than it did on 8. So I've got a genius appointment tomorrow and I'm demanding Apple replace my phone with a new unit or I'm going to sue. I think you got a defective unit in which the battery decreases incrementally with each iOS update. I can give you my lawyer's number if you're interested. :rolleyes: