iPhone 6 - Anchorage Alaska?

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by ferran275, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferran275 macrumors newbie

I called the store and THEY even think they won't get much foot traffic next Friday. Really hope I can just easily preorder tonight, pick up on Friday in store and be a happy camper :)

2. CFreymarc Suspended

Historically, Alaskan retail gets a lot of Asian built electronics in good stock since you are on the air freight route into the lower 48.

I know guys that have headed into Alaska to pick up a ton of gray market Japanese electronics that never made it into the lower 48 but are still "domestic" to avoid tariffs.

3. ferran275 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't think of it that way, I'm waiting with the ATT Preorder bunch that have 10/02-10/13 as ship dates. I was worried since its AK it would be longer for me, but with this new revelation perhaps I'll get it sooner...? hehe

4. CFreymarc Suspended

One friend of mine whom follows this bizarre sub-culture of grey market Japanese consumer electronics say that Alaska and Hawaii are occasional "hot spots."

He assesses it to small, independent retailers buying surplus electronic lots off the spot market, getting them through customs and selling them with only a bulk air cargo fee added to the cost. Sometimes, lots of these items are kept in warehouses in Asia for months 'til you have enough to fill an air cargo container. Then they are shipped out.

Bizarre items like HD CRT televisions, experimental media formats, Japanese styled watches & jewelry (There are some 90's Hello Kitty watches that sell for a few thousand to collectors.), anime collectables, J-pop idol items and so on are in these containers arriving to these domestic independent stores.

Many of these stores are in a Japantown or Chinatown. Like looking for a diamond in the rough and even the store owner may not know the value of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.