iPhone 6 - Apple Store Somerset Collection, Troy, MI

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by BPMCH02, Sep 9, 2014.

1. BPMCH02 macrumors regular

Hello all!!

So who is going to brave the weather and lines this year and wait for an iPhone 6 or 6 plus??? I know I am!

I hope that this year goes better than last year as last year was a nightmare with the rain and the way that Somerset security organized the event by making people wait basically in the street (when there was a covered parking garage only steps away?!?!?) Apple store peope....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a plan with security so that we can wait in the garage at least...I am betting people will start lining up early and I for one don't want to wait in the rain if there is rain again...

2. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I am thinking about partridge creek store.
    You interested in going there?

3. BPMCH02 thread starter macrumors regular

I may depending on what I hear... Normally they make you wait outside and don't get as many phones...

4. rjflyn, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

rjflyn macrumors regular

I'm curious what kind of weather ones worring about. It's suppose to be 50s at night and 70s during the day still. Unless your a total weeny what's the issue

5. mrskullfreak, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I read there's a New Apple pass they are doing for people who line up.
    The article is on front page here.

6. BPMCH02 thread starter macrumors regular

Last year there were torrential downpours from 3am until about 6am and the mall security would not let anyone wait under the covered parking garage so wee all were out in the middle of a field getting soaked.

7. rjflyn macrumors regular

And as I recall people walked in mid afternoon and walked out with phones. Though the selection was limited on certain colors and sizes. This years most likely its going to be 6+ and the 128GB models.

8. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about waiting in line this year but I don't like the sound of security being so obnoxious.

9. BPMCH02 thread starter macrumors regular

I posted a review last year of what happened on this forum under the Somerset page and it is worth the read. Security was absolutely unprofessional last year and it didn't seem like Apple had any control over the situation whatsoever until we were let into the mall. The reality is that Apple and Somerset know that hundreds (if not thousands) of people are going to show up, and they should plan for it accordingly to make it comfortable and safe. I remember during the early iPhone launches that both Apple and Somerset welcomed the traffic and even provided seat cushions for people to sit on that were branded with the Somerset logo...that's a far departure form last year when security was not allowing us on to the property like we were trespassing or something and when I asked if we could wait under the covered parking during the rain storm, the security guard said "I don't understand why you are even waiting...it's not worth it." Honestly, I hope that the Apple Store does something to arrange this better with security this year. If the issues are that Somerset does not want to let people on to the property due to policy, that is idiotic, if it is an insurance thing, then Apple should work with them to purchase more insurance in order to facilitate event's like this....luckily I was able to pre-order so I don't have to attend this year (mainly because of my experience last year), but I will be coming to the store in the afternoon to look at cases and I hope to hear better stories on this forum.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

----------

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1441338&highlight=iphone+5+somerset&page=3

Here is a link to my "review" of last year's experience...

10. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Wow... I do not want to deal with that! I called and spoke to security and the person I spoke to was real nice. He called me back with what information he could gather.

I will speak to an Apple Manager and security again before Thursday and go from there. I can tough it out and wait but I'm to old to be treated unfairly.

Lets hope for the best. I just don't know what time I will start "camping" out?

11. drober30 macrumors 6502a

So who's lining up and what time are you going?

I talked with a person at the Apple Store and they said they are working on the new reservation system but did not have enough information to share. She also said security will not let us on mall property while waiting. When I talked to security the other day, the person on the phone said they would let us in at 6:00am

12. winterton macrumors newbie

Thinking I'll head to the store this time around. What's my chances at getting in in and out with a phone by 9 or 10 if I get in line around 5 am? Would there be a better store to wait at in the Detroit area? For the 3G launch I went to Briarwood in Ann Arbor around 3PM and walked out with a phone. For the 5 I went to the Verizon store at 6AM and was 1st in line. I'll be switching to TMobile this time around, so I'm almost wondering if the store on E Jefferson in Detroit (closest to me) might be a good option, I would just worry about inventory.

If anyone close to this store sees this tonight, any way to keep us updated on the line?