iPhone 6+ as a phone - volume

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mailboxbetacoin, Oct 6, 2014.

1. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

Is that just me or the volume of the ear speaker when on the phone is not as loud as previous generation iPhones?

It's even more annoying considering:
    - the phone being so much larger, it's harder to blindly align your ear with the speaker than smaller iPhones
    - the lower volume have you press the phone closer to your ear, to the point that the lip of the leather case uncomfortably press against the ear

Although the 6+ is a great device for some uses, I find it to be much less comfortable to use than previous generations (hard to carry around without feeling it and worrying about it bending, hard to use one handed, hard to hold when placing phone calls, hard to hear when making calls...). Not everything is surprising here considering the size of the device, but the sound quality is just unnecessarily disappointing.

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I have this problem. Its pretty bad. I found another thread where someone said Apple told them it was a hardware issue and to exchange the phone. I also read that someone exchanged the phone and the replacement was ok. And another person where they exchanged the phone and it made no difference. I already replaced my phone once and don't feel like doing it again. My wife's 6 plus is the same way. I'm hoping it gets fixed in a magical firmware update, but I somehow doubt it. I also read that turning off the noise cancellation helped them. Didn't for me. Probably not the answer you were looking for.

3. itsmefudge macrumors regular

itsmefudge

Mine is the same way as well. I either push the phone that much harder against my ear to hear, or I end up talking on speaker phone.

4. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I wonder if they used a smaller speaker in order to make the phone thinner?

5. sjs314 macrumors member

I upgraded from a 4 to the 6+ and it sounds about the same to me but I do wish you could raise the volume without having to use it on speaker

6. L-Tuned macrumors regular

Same here lol. I also read some one said adjust the audio volume balance under Settings>Accessibility to all the way to the R.

7. deviant macrumors 65816

with that bezel one would think they have all the necessary space

8. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Its ok with the volume all the way up in a quiet setting. But if you're trying to walk down a city street, its super hard to hear. Someone complain to Apple about it. I would, but its not enough of a pain to me to deal with my screen protector swapping the phone. :)

9. mailboxbetacoin thread starter macrumors 6502

so it looks like a common issue, that's disappointing.
    really want to get excited about this device, but it really feels rushed in so many ways..