iPhone 6 Availability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmakohon, Sep 2, 2014.

1. cmakohon macrumors newbie

Will the 6 sell out as quickly as the 5 and 5S did? Or will they have more supply to back up the demand? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

As quickly, if not quicker, than the 5S.

The 5S was the first phone I ever had trouble getting. Then again, I wasn't liviing in the middle of nowhere that time around.

3. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

I've read that Apple is prepping somewhere between 60-70 million iPhone 6 units (both 4.7" and 5.5") because they're expecting this launch to be huge. Now, that might be over the span of a few months, because I doubt they'd have that many units ready at launch. But I doubt there will be a shortage.

If you're ordering or pre-ordering within the first hour, you should be fine.

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I could see it being worse than last year due to all the people that want a bigger sized iphone.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm thinking there will be more units available than ever before... but it still won't be enough. Order early.... ;)

:apple:

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Assuming that Apple starts preorders on Friday the 12th, I warned my boss that I won't be worth a flying crap that day. :D

7. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

Every people is waiting for iPhone 6 so we can clearly see the huge demand of iPhone 6 and i am sure that apple have enough supply to cover the demand, if apple gives preorder facility so we can see the rate of demand of an iPhone 6.

8. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Last year Apple had higher hopes for the iPhone 5c and underestimated the iPhone 5s sales, so thats why you were able to pre-order the iPhone 5c one week in advance but had to line up first-come-first-served for the iPhone 5s.

Last year I was 1 year into my 2 year contract and AT&T in-store wouldn't let me upgrade early, understandable but customer service over the phone had no issue doing so (in store would only allow NEXT program, i didn't want that). Anyways, Customer Service reps were told they couldn't sell me a phone over the phone, all inventory was for in-store only until the demand died down.

Reports this year have said that Apple is planning to double the order from last year and I think Apple knows that to take momentum away from Android they have to have enough inventory so that if you want one you get one, none of this waiting.

10. willmtaylor, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You do realize how completely contradictory those two statements are, don't you?

This is what I'm thinking. Stay up late or wake up early to preorder, or get in line quickly if you don't want to be running around from store to store or waiting days/weeks for stock to catch up.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think some people are going to be surprised at how many people are not looking for a LARGER phone.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Other than people wanting what they don't have, I agree with this statement.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It seems as though the majority of minorities within MR are quite vocal. General public consensus often appears quite skewed.

14. jkel777 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I do. Just going off of my ordering experience with the 5s. There was a shortage with that device, however. Shipping dates moved back a few weeks if you didn't order in the first hour or two.

I guess I'll redact that last statement.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No body knows but if I were a betting man, I would say the demand will be very high!

16. roxics macrumors regular

Agreed that last year they had higher expectations for the 5C and had a ton of them. But they are also easier to make than the 5S right?

Wasn't last year also the first year Apple launched the iPhone in China on the same day as the rest of the world as well? So that cut into the amount of stock we got in the west. If I'm right.

This year will be a little different. But if they do launch both sizes on the same day, we might end up with an unexpected shortage on one supply that Apple wasn't expecting to be as popular (just like the 5S / 5C). In this case I think that will be the 5.5" as everyone I have talked to wants the bigger model. Even people who are not gadget geeks. Which surprised me .

The other thing is, I think more people will be switching to the Next plan and similar plans on other carriers this year. Including my girlfriend and I. Whereas we would normally be on the "S" upgrade cycle. So you may have more people upgrading every year as opposed to every two years. This could result in shortages as well.

17. iOS-Rob, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

iOS-Rob macrumors newbie

iPhone 6 Availability

I've heard they have been manufacturing the iphone 6 in a top secret military bunker since April, they have currently over 100 million of each colour and memory size hidden deep underground which are being guarded by dragons!

WHAT A DUMB QUESTION!!

ITS ALL SPECULATION UNTIL RELEASE AND EVEN THEN APPLE WILL SAY 'YES WE HAVE PLENTY' ONLY TO RUN OUT ON RELEASE DAY.

18. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Well this is going to suck. Launches on Sept 9th, goes on sale a week (or possibly a little longer) Making that Sept 16th. I will be in the US for precisely 1 night on the 15th for a stopover to get it £200 cheaper then UK!

What a karfuffle. :(

Well if it does go on sale Sept 16th I'll be sleeping outside the Apple store like a huge nerd!

19. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I enjoyed this post. As usual they'll run out but according to the leaks, they're trying to make as many as possible so I expect they're thinking a lot of people are going to buy one - I suppose the major re-design would also make them believe there would be a lot more demand over the 5S, which wasn't all that different from the 5.

20. Henke macrumors member

Henke

I have a few weeks until my upgrade after the iPhone 6 launch....do you think O2 would wave any fee for me to sign up to a new contract...or will they demand the refresh money?

My bargaining tool is, if they wave the fee, I will sign up for 2 more years,if they don't I can see out my contract, an before that get the fone free on a new tariff with another network.

21. Brandermill533 macrumors newbie

IPhone 6 will possibly be my first experience with Apple phones

Does Best Buy, Costco, or any other retailer that sells the IPhone allow customers to preorder after the announcement? Do these types of retailers offer the same option as the corporate mobile stores and Apple stores? If not, does anyone have experience with how long after the launch other stores begin to carry a newly released IPhone model?

I am not familiar with how this all works. Thanks.