Iphone 6 back bulge?

bendr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Have taken pictures of the issue http://imgur.com/a/ZTRBv

Just a quick question since I couldn't find anything in relevant in other bending discussions. Apologies in advance if the whole bendgate discussion is a beaten horse at this point.

When I lay my phone (regular iphone 6) on its back flat on a table (with the camera part placed over the end edge of the table so as to not affect the balance) it looks like the the sides of the phone aren't completely flat on the table, almost as if they were curving upward 0.5mm / 1mm or so slightly. The phone can spin quite effortlessly on its center as if there was a very slight bulge on the back.

When I sit the phone on it's glass face there's no tilting at all like other bent phone incidents so I'm not sure if this is my imagination or an actual issue?

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
if its within your 14 day window, I'd say you take it back for an exchange and the very first thing you do, even before turning the phone on is to lay the phone on a flat table with the camera hanging off the side and see if that phone has better posture...

bendr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
I'd agree with you but it would have to be bending towards the screen which to my knowledge is impossible unlike the other instances where it's bending away from the screen.

I can feel a little 'give' to the aluminum when I push the back, almost as if there's a bubble of air within the housing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'd agree with you but it would have to be bending towards the screen which to my knowledge is impossible unlike the other instances where it's bending away from the screen.

I can feel a little 'give' to the aluminum when I push the back, almost as if there's a bubble of air within the housing.
Why do you think that it is "impossible" for the device to bend towards the screen. The phone can bend either way.

bendr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Think about how much force it takes to bend away from the screen e.g just flexing the aluminum backwards which according to various reports takes about 70lbs of force. Now think about how much force it would take to bend towards the screen since the front glass doesn't flex like the aluminum back, plus rather than pulling away from the electronic internals as in other examples you're pushing towards them which adds another layer of resistance to the process.

I've only had it for 2 days in an apple leather case, haven't even put it in my pocket for fear of bending so I have absolutely no idea how I could have even accidently applied such force.

bendr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
hey man,

Thank you for the response, if you look at the final pic in the album I put the phone diagonally on the corner of a flat desk so that the protruding camera bit is actually off the table so that the aluminum back was totally flat on the table.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
hey man,

Thank you for the response, if you look at the final pic in the album I put the phone diagonally on the corner of a flat desk so that the protruding camera bit is actually off the table so that the aluminum back was totally flat on the table.
The lighting is horrible for the pictures though, its difficult to distinguish anything the way its set up. It still looks like its the camera protruding but then without clear details in the image, its hard to discern.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Think about how much force it takes to bend away from the screen e.g just flexing the aluminum backwards which according to various reports takes about 70lbs of force. Now think about how much force it would take to bend towards the screen since the front glass doesn't flex like the aluminum back, plus rather than pulling away from the electronic internals as in other examples you're pushing towards them which adds another layer of resistance to the process.

I've only had it for 2 days in an apple leather case, haven't even put it in my pocket for fear of bending so I have absolutely no idea how I could have even accidently applied such force.
Bending the phone inwards would just buldge to side out a tiny bit and the glass is so flexable that is would offer no structure integrity in either direction. To me it would seem like it would take more pressure to bend the phone backwards, but who knows.

Sorry about your problem.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Have taken pictures of the issue http://imgur.com/a/ZTRBv

Just a quick question since I couldn't find anything in relevant in other bending discussions. Apologies in advance if the whole bendgate discussion is a beaten horse at this point.

When I lay my phone (regular iphone 6) on its back flat on a table (with the camera part placed over the end edge of the table so as to not affect the balance) it looks like the the sides of the phone aren't completely flat on the table, almost as if they were curving upward 0.5mm / 1mm or so slightly. The phone can spin quite effortlessly on its center as if there was a very slight bulge on the back.

When I sit the phone on it's glass face there's no tilting at all like other bent phone incidents so I'm not sure if this is my imagination or an actual issue?
You need a forum to clarify what you yourself cannot discern on your own?

What has this world come to?

OK, we'll help you out.

It's your imagination.

Tell Samsung Apple says Hello:

Samsung Electronics Third-Quarter Profit Plunges

Scorpion008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Sigh. All these useless morons. This bulge is the most common sign of a swollen battery. Apple has been known to replace these for free even out of warranty to avoid bad PR from a potential exploding battery.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Sigh. All these useless morons. This bulge is the most common sign of a swollen battery. Apple has been known to replace these for free even out of warranty to avoid bad PR from a potential exploding battery.
This. Sounds like the battery to me.