Iphone 6 back bulge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bendr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. bendr macrumors newbie

Have taken pictures of the issue http://imgur.com/a/ZTRBv

Just a quick question since I couldn't find anything in relevant in other bending discussions. Apologies in advance if the whole bendgate discussion is a beaten horse at this point.

When I lay my phone (regular iphone 6) on its back flat on a table (with the camera part placed over the end edge of the table so as to not affect the balance) it looks like the the sides of the phone aren't completely flat on the table, almost as if they were curving upward 0.5mm / 1mm or so slightly. The phone can spin quite effortlessly on its center as if there was a very slight bulge on the back.

When I sit the phone on it's glass face there's no tilting at all like other bent phone incidents so I'm not sure if this is my imagination or an actual issue?

2. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

4. bendr thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

if its within your 14 day window, I'd say you take it back for an exchange and the very first thing you do, even before turning the phone on is to lay the phone on a flat table with the camera hanging off the side and see if that phone has better posture...

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry it just looks bent to me, very slightly!

7. bendr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd agree with you but it would have to be bending towards the screen which to my knowledge is impossible unlike the other instances where it's bending away from the screen.

I can feel a little 'give' to the aluminum when I push the back, almost as if there's a bubble of air within the housing.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why do you think that it is "impossible" for the device to bend towards the screen. The phone can bend either way.

9. bendr thread starter macrumors newbie

Think about how much force it takes to bend away from the screen e.g just flexing the aluminum backwards which according to various reports takes about 70lbs of force. Now think about how much force it would take to bend towards the screen since the front glass doesn't flex like the aluminum back, plus rather than pulling away from the electronic internals as in other examples you're pushing towards them which adds another layer of resistance to the process.

I've only had it for 2 days in an apple leather case, haven't even put it in my pocket for fear of bending so I have absolutely no idea how I could have even accidently applied such force.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could it be the camera causing the top to life up, i.e., it protrudes?

11. bendr thread starter macrumors newbie

hey man,

Thank you for the response, if you look at the final pic in the album I put the phone diagonally on the corner of a flat desk so that the protruding camera bit is actually off the table so that the aluminum back was totally flat on the table.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The lighting is horrible for the pictures though, its difficult to distinguish anything the way its set up. It still looks like its the camera protruding but then without clear details in the image, its hard to discern.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Bending the phone inwards would just buldge to side out a tiny bit and the glass is so flexable that is would offer no structure integrity in either direction. To me it would seem like it would take more pressure to bend the phone backwards, but who knows.

Sorry about your problem.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

You need a forum to clarify what you yourself cannot discern on your own?

What has this world come to?

OK, we'll help you out.

It's your imagination.

Tell Samsung Apple says Hello:

Samsung Electronics Third-Quarter Profit Plunges

15. Marli macrumors regular

16. RyanG macrumors 6502

17. Scorpion008 macrumors member

Sigh. All these useless morons. This bulge is the most common sign of a swollen battery. Apple has been known to replace these for free even out of warranty to avoid bad PR from a potential exploding battery.

18. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is all I get as well.

20. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

This. Sounds like the battery to me.

21. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

The title of this thread is racist!

Never mind.
    Read it wrong.