iPhone 6 battery has 15% after 5 hours, is the battery defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by venividivigor, Oct 6, 2014.

1. venividivigor macrumors 6502

Do I have a defective iPhone? Because the battery is dying pretty fast…

2. tl01 macrumors 65816

I don't think we have enough info to answer that. What were you using it for that whole time? How's your cell reception, how long have you had the phone set up?

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Unless you're doing something SUPER power-hungy with it for the whole 5 hours, like playing a hi-end FPS game with the screen brightness set very high, then it sounds defective. Take it into an apple store and they'll test the battery, and replace your phone if the battery's faulty.

EDIT:

scroll down to the battery life chart on this page and see if your numbers match apple's usage estimates. If it's far off, then it's probably faulty.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/technology/

4. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I think tl01 has a good point. I've worked with batteries, used the iPhone after initial purpose and so on and I say it is very possible that the battery is fine. Look under general, usage, battery usage and see what is eating it all up. Post a screenshot and we may be able to help you. After 2 weeks with the phone, you should have about 1.5 days average life to it. New might be around half a day...5 hrs shows you burring it on something CPU or graphic intensive...or the battery could be bad.

----------

They need to add 3d gaming on that...with the 6 its going to be bad...with the 6+, even worse being that it has to cover more resolution.

5. venividivigor thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks guys! I'll keep you posted!

And no, I don't do any 3D gaming as of it. I have them downloaded, but I haven't used them at all. Nor do I really play any games.

I have brightness set to auto brightness with the slider below 50% most of the day.

What was the lowest and highest your new iPhones lasted for?

6. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Some questions:

First of all, on setup, did you set up as new or from a backup?
    Did you cycle the battery?
    How is the coverage during the day? Low signal = low battery life
    Did you turn off allowing apps to work in the background?

Mark the battery life, put the phone to the side for 20-30 minutes, if you see significant decline in percentage check what's eating the battery, there may be a rogue app operating constantly in the background
    Worse case, restore and start new.
    Good luck

7. venividivigor thread starter macrumors 6502

- I set up it from a backup!

- Do you mean like draining it all the way then charging it to full? I kinda did a couple times, now I just charge it when its convenient.

- I was home all day, full bars, full wifi, Bluetooth is on but not connected.

- You mean background refresh? Yeah it's all on! Except I don't have any apps open in the multitasking bar.

And okay! I'll keep you posted! Thanks man!

8. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

9. Leejaymes macrumors member

Experiencing extremely terrible battery life on mine as well. :(

Set it up as new, off'ed background app refresh etc, tried all I could but not helping much.

10. althaur macrumors member

althaur

Not sure if it will help, but I had a similar issue. I reset my network settings and that took care of it.