iPhone 6 BlueWater, Kent, UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by slippery, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slippery, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

slippery macrumors member

Now I know I'm being way to early in discussing peoples plans with regards to the launch of the iPhone 6 as we don't even have a confirmed release date yet.
    However I'm already getting far to excited (sad I know) but I've decided it's going to have to be an overnighter at my local Apple store which is BlueWater in Kent.
    Can people with experience of last years iPhone 5s release at BlueWater give any pointers with regards to their experience of basically camping out overnight at BlueWater, what they brought with them ect..?
    I remember getting to BlueWater around 4.00am on the release day of last years iPhone and still not managing to get one, the cue was huge...!
    Given the complete redesign and bigger screen ect of the iPhone 6, I think this year is going to be even harder to get the must have phone of 2014..! (In my completely Apple Fan Boy Biased Opinion) Lol
    Any positive advice or suggestions appreciated.
    Cheers

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

While I don't have the patience or stamina to stand in line for hours, I hope for everybody's sake that the iPhone 6 is in plentiful supply from day one, at least in Apple stores, in as many countries as possible (including China).

Standing in line for a few hours may be a rite of passage for some, but getting into the store only to find that the iPhone model you want is not available is just bad for business. Launching in the far east countries simultaneously should reduce the number of resellers buying in bulk on day one for resale in China and elsewhere.

3. slippery thread starter macrumors member

4. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

Hey there. Bluewater is my local shop as I live in Gravesend. I'm really not sure what to do this year. I'm hoping that apple do online preorders for release day delivery. But as they didn't do it for iPhone 5S I'm guessing they might not again. I really want to have the 6 from day 1 so might have to be sad and camp out all night lol. I also want the iWatch. I wonder if that'll be same release date as iPhone 6?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There really isn't much point lining up for iPhone launches any more. 99.9% of people in the queue are scalpers and resellers, and they're absolute *******s to anyone who's not in their group.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I don't know if it's different in the UK, but in the US, waiting in line in the morning is unnecessary any more.

A friend has bought every single iPhone and iPad on launch day. Early on, he did wait in line before the store opened for each. The past few, he hasn't needed to bother - he just showed up mid-afternoon, and while there was still a line, it was only a few minutes of waiting, and they had plenty of iDevices.

7. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

Yes I completely agree Brian, this is what puts me off camping it out. Last year when iPhone 5s was very limited supply I got wind of a delivery at Bluewater and luckily was going past it so popped in and already the queue was about 50 people long and easily 90% were scalpers.

Last year with the 5s and apple not doing online pre orders the queues were ridiculous. Supply did not meet demand and it was almost impossible to get a 5s for a month or so after release.

8. Hustler1337, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

This reminded me of MrThaiBox123 (Adam) from Youtube's experience of queuing at Bluewater for the iPhone 5S. He vlogged his experience of queuing at Bluewater and if I remember correctly, he managed to bag up both the gold version (which was very limited in supply) and the Space Grey after queuing up the evening before. I would advise you to go early, as in the day before and stay overnight if you're up for the queueing. Going at 4am on launch is pointless as you're almost guaranteed to not get hold of one, especially with the iPhone 6 being a more significant upgrade over the previous gen.

EDIT: Here's his vlogs:

He did an iPad Air queue-up at Bluewater as well. Hope that helps

9. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

Wow. Bollocks to that I'm not queuing up for 10+ hours!!!

Really hope apple do online preorders again...

10. slippery thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the video links certainly an eye opener..! Lol
    So it's basically down to queuing from around 3.00pm-8.00pm on the Thursday to guarantee an iPhone on release day.
    I'll see whether Apple do pre-orders first and what countries their going to release in on day one.
    I just get the feeling that Apple are going to deliberately constrain the availability of the iPhone 6 for the first couple of weeks,
    There's nothing quite like the press generated by the huge queues of Apple fans is there..! Lol

11. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

12. Hasssn macrumors member

Last time I queued up at Bluewater around 2am in the morning and the queue wasn't huge but too many people, mostly re-sellers jumped in I end up getting nothing as they ran out of stock.
    This time I plan to queue up early though. :rolleyes:

13. mustu macrumors 6502

I think if you queue from 7pm or 8pm in the evening you should be able to get one.

14. slippery thread starter macrumors member

Well if Apple doesn't ship enough iPhones and the chances are they won't, demand for the iPhone 6 will be so much higher than last year.
    I've decided I'm going to camp over night now which I've never done before.
    I'm going to be at BlueWater for around 5.00pm which should secure me a couple of iPhones (the wife wants one as well..!) lol
    Going on the videos by Mr Thaibox 123 if your queuing on the same side as the Apple store you shouldn't get troubled by the scalpers arriving early morning.

15. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

16. slippery thread starter macrumors member

Not even going to bother with the iPhone 6 this time around. Really dissapointed that 4.7" iPhone 6 has lower specs than the iPhone 6 Plus. Feel a little cheated if I'm honest just because I don't want a iPhone the size of an iPad mini clamped to the side of my head.
    I'm going to wait for the 6s maybe the spec will be more in line with the iPhone 6 Plus.
    Happy queuing for those of you less bothered or want an oversized iPhone

17. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

18. slippery thread starter macrumors member

For starters the camera lens and the display resolution are better on the iPhone 6 Plus.
    I'm also guessing the A8 processor is under clocked in the iPhone 6 compared to the iPhone 6 Plus and lastly we can safely assume given all the accurate leaks so far that the onboard Ram for the IPhone 6 Plus will be 2Gb as compared to 1gb for the lesser iPhone 6.
    Ok I admit the last 2 differences haven't been proven yet but would you really bet against it..!

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No Optical Image Stabilisation - smaller screen, smaller battery.

20. mister.d macrumors member

Seeing as the 8.30am (ish) pre-order go-live screwed me over a bit (can't drive and pre-order at the same time) it looks like queueing is the only option for me.

Just 2 things concerning me:
    1) As you could order to pick-up from store - does this mean they won't have general sale stock

2) I last queued for the 4S and there were loads of scalpers ahead of me (got the phone I wanted though - just)... What sort of time do they normally arrive so I can get ahead of them this year?

I thought I'd be too old to queue at the grand old age of 34, but looks like I've got no other choice!

21. Hasssn macrumors member

Situation would be different this time as compared to 5s last year. Mainly due to:
    1) Preorders going live on 12th September and the delivery date showing 7-10 working days.
    2) Apple store reservation system was showing iPhone available for reserve and pickup even after 12th September meaning they have plenty of stock.
    Of course you will be served on first come-first served basis on 19th.
    I reserved mine to be picked up at 4-5pm on 19th September. :)

22. mister.d macrumors member

Well I asked in store today. Their arrangements for Friday are:

8am - work on the people who have preordered to collect in store

10am - start general sales on a first-come-first-served basis (along with the usual "until we run out and we don't know what we're getting" spiel)

So for those without a pre-order, that's another 2 hours of waiting. Joy.

23. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

That won't happen, so someone has their wires crossed there. First of all, it makes zero business sense; they'll have a load of extra employees on that day, so what if no-one comes in for five minutes (after all, they have an hour) at one point? Twiddle their thumbs and flush away the cash while disenfranchising hardcore fans who've waited for seven, eight, nine hours already?

Most likely, they'll separate people into two queues - one for reservations, another for those without. What I suspect whoever spoke to you meant is that you won't simply be able to roll up and walk into the store until at least 10am, but that will go for anyone whether they're buying an iPhone or not. Want an iPad? Join the end of the queue or come back later. Want a charger? Same.

So as long as you're in the queue you won't be forced to wait until some arbitrary 10am cut-off point (which would certainly be noted on the Apple website). There's just no chance of you walking in before then, which I guess is when they've estimated the queues will have started to die down.

24. mister.d macrumors member

I think what she meant was that when they open at 8am, the pre-ordered queue will get priority and be dealt with first until they have staff free.

Would be silly if they cleared the pre-order queue and left the usual queue waiting, but who knows?

25. mister.d macrumors member

Well I'm here and queueing outside Juicy Couture. At least 2 bunches of scalpers ahead. Can't see myself securing a 6 Plus #

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.