iPhone 6 dead - out-of-warranty. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idyll, Feb 24, 2016.

1. idyll macrumors 6502

My nephew had an aftermarket screen installed on his iPhone 6.

It worked fine for 8 months, now it is completely dead - no charge, nothing.

Is it possible to Apply repair or replace his iPhone 6 through Apple for a fee? I understand there is a $ 299 out-of-warranty fee to repair an iPhone 6 due to accidental damage. Would this fee apply?

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Be ready to pay the $299.

Situations like this are why I avoid aftermarket parts like the plague.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't see how the screen replacement would kill the whole phone 8 months later. Maybe it has some other hardware issue.
    Either way as long as you're paying for a replacement they will give you one.

4. Mjcarlin907 macrumors newbie

The out of warranty replacement will not cover phones with third party parts. At this point unless you can recover the original screen the only option is to purchase a new phone or try a third part repair shop to see if the phone can be fixed.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i was just going to say this.

6. Freakonomics101 macrumors 6502a

Freakonomics101

Too bad the OP's device doesn't have insurance. Then OP could just file a claim and pay a smaller fee to get a new one.

7. Mjcarlin907 macrumors newbie

This is exactly why third party repair places and carrier refurbished phones are a joke. Unless you're worried about your phone being stolen or lost the carriers insurance is a bad option because their refurbished phones are no longer covered under Apple's warranty if they use third party parts.

8. idyll thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies. Darn, that sucks.

We'll try our luck with Apple tomorrow and see what they say, hope they will be willing to let us pay the $299 fee and repair it but we'll see.

9. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

So how did it go OP? Any luck?

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

If you've got home contents insurance this often covers electronics and devices lost. It might be worth claiming for the broken phone.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Would that be part of the typical deductible on home insurance? If so, usually deductibles are something like $500 on the lower side and more than that typically, which means that the replacement price would still come out of the homeowner's pocked via the deductible basically (and the claim might even be counted in some way against the homeowner in the sense of the insurance rates going up in one way or another in the future).

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Not sure how it works around the globe but on mine I have no excess up to £3000 and I tend to swap my provider annually due to rip off renewals. We've had to make a couple of claims over the years and have never paid more the following year.

13. Macintosh1985 macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation and i'm about to book a genius bar appointment. Did they offer to replace yours under the out of warranty service fee?