iPhone 6+ Does it have an Earpiece issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheDoubler55, Oct 7, 2014.

1. TheDoubler55 macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

So I have an iPhone 6+ 128gb silver. I have made a couple phone calls with the phone and there seems to be an issue with the phones earpiece being to low. I feel like I try to put the volume up but its all the way up already, is something wrong with this phones earpiece, why is the volume so low? :confused:

2. eneisch macrumors 6502a

The earphone volume on my 6+ seems OK. I think it is louder and clearer compared to my iPhone 5.

This may sound like a silly question, but have you removed the plastic that the phone comes wrapped in when you open the box? I only ask because I remember this question being asked during previous iPhone launches when people had not removed the wrapping while waiting for screen protectors to be delivered and installed. Also, If you do have a screen protector it should not be covering the earpiece opening.

3. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

Yea I removed the plastic that comes on the phone when its first purchased, I also dont use a screen protector. I really feel like the volume is way lower than my iPhone 5, and the thing is my volume is always up. Maybe I am losing my hearing lol...

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have that problem. There's a bunch of threads going around. Not much in the answer department.

5. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

Yea I definitely think there is an issue, Apple needs to get it together. I love the phone though other than that.

----------

How do you get that signature under your posts, Eneisch. I am a newb obviously, been a member for awhile but never really posted just browsed around.

6. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

This might be a dumb question but where exactly do you talk into on the iphone 6 plus. Where is the mic?

Reason why I am asking because I took my first call on the iphone 6 plus yesterday since I just received it and the person on the other end could not hear me very well. I just didnt know if I was speaking into the wrong part of the phone.

7. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

The mic is near my mouth, the people on the other end can hear me well. I can hear them as well, its just very low not what I am used to. On my 5 I used to have to turn the volume down because it was to high.

8. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

I assume its at the bottom of the phone, just didnt know where

9. Big Dookie macrumors member

Maybe this sounds obvious, but one thing I think people overlook is the fact that the iPhone 6+ is indeed much larger than the iPhone 5/5s... as in, it's much WIDER. The width on previous iPhones has remained constant from the first generation all the way up until this year, so for those of us who have been using it for years, muscle memory has taught us the "correct" position to hold the phone up to our ears to hear the speaker mostly clearly.

Now that it's wider though (especially on the 6+), that same muscle memory is causing most people to hold it to their ear in a slightly incorrect position, resulting in muting of the speaker because it isn't directly over your ear. I imagine that as people get more used to actually using the 6+ as a phone and rebuilding that muscle memory, the issue of not hearing calls correctly will go away.

10. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

Yea its at the bottom.

11. FreakinSyco macrumors regular

FreakinSyco

Well I had this problem, but it turns out I'm stupid:

The wider 6 plus moves the earpiece speaker over further from the corner compared to the 5/5s. I was used to tucking the corner of the phone in my ear and hearing just fine. With the 6+ doing that means the speaker isn't lined up with my ear and everything was very quiet. I have to change how I hold the phone to my ear!

Now I can hear just fine!

12. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

I am going to try that on the next call, your probably right. Thanks!!

13. blwade macrumors 6502a

Does this call for a....

"You're holding it wrong"

?

;):cool:

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

I wouldnt say you are stupid, we just have to figure out these new BIG phones lol

16. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

This ^ and this^^

17. eneisch macrumors 6502a

In the top left of the forums page there is a link for "User CP" (Control Panel). After you click on that there is a link for "Edit Signature" in the menu on the left hand side of the page.

----------

I was trying to compose a response similar to this but this is great and says what I wanted to say. I noticed at first that I had to position the phone a little differently so that the earpiece lines up with my ear properly.

18. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

19. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Took me 3 days to figure this out. I was so upset at the volume at first. Now I actually think the iPhone 6 plus is almost to loud on phone calls and usually turn it down.

20. BuffordT macrumors regular

21. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

I actually sent Fedback to apple regarding the Nike+ iPod app being taken away, they never get back to anyone from my previous experience.

22. BuffordT macrumors regular

No, they don't. But that's not what it's for. The more than submit feedback, the higher chance they will address the issue. If you need support, contact them via telephone.

23. TheDoubler55 thread starter macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

Yea I know, I just like to be acknowledged lol. :D

24. BuffordT macrumors regular

Me too. :cool:

25. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You hit the nail on the head.