iPhone 6 Edge-to-edge Glass Screen Protector — The holy grail?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Presonance, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

We've been kind of at a loss up until this point. Plastic films and glass protectors don't have edge-to-edge coverage, urethane wet-install films have a poor texture and orange peel effect, and the iLoome's "homage antenna bands" look horrible.

Unless there's a catch, I think I've found what we've all been waiting for.

Have a look: http://moscoat.pixnet.net/blog/post/188115237
    Another link: http://chinese.vr-zone.com/129902/u...s-iphone-6-protector-we-get-hand-on-10032014/

This appears to be a Taiwanese company. I also found a Chinese company that might be producing the same or similar thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkmXt9nhk4

No idea how to purchase. If anyone can read Chinese, help out. I've been brushing up on my Chinese for next week's event but I'm not quite fluent yet:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Jigga macrumors 6502

3. Kisey macrumors 6502a

There's another thread somewhere with info on the Aegis. I emailed sales01@aegiste.com and was quoted $35 including shipping. I think they come from China.

4. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Took a read. I'm sure similar ones will be available everywhere once these are released to the market. That Chinese article says end of October.

In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, the article says here is the reason why the non-screen area needs to be painted white or black: the curves of the glass aren't exact from one iPhone to another. So there no way to make a one-size-fit-all protector that totally adheres to each iPhone. So if they don't paint it, you will see areas that don't adhere to the glass, outside the screen. (The clear ones that the OP posted are unfinished products, as emphasized in the article.)

5. Presonance thread starter macrumors regular

Presonance

That is excellent info. Thanks a lot!!

6. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

The maker also mentions the screen protector's edge is "concaved" which act like a mold to the actual surface of iPhone 6/6+ screen so it can be an edge-to-edge glass screen protector.

note:
    My Chinese isn't perfect so I'm not quite sure about the last paragraph but it did mention GTOC and Corning collaborated and made this 3D shaped/curved surface gorilla glass

GTOC: Taiwan's biggest tampered glass maker

Imos and GTOC/Corning collaborated to make this glass screen protector too(?)

7. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

How is this screen protector different from the others like iLoome and Moshi?

Thanx

8. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

guess I didn't explain it well lol... the glass screen protector is said to be "warped/concaved" to the curved iPhone screen so there is no gap shown between the glass screen protector/iPhone like the ones we've been seeing from iLoome/Moshi

9. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I the post above is correct about there being variations in the curved edges of phones, then how would this work? If there is variability, the glass will not adhere or will be uneven.

Guess we will have to wait and see...

10. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Ahhhh I didn't think about that but I'm really interested with this one considering all the let down I've been seeing from iLoome etc...

11. parrot5, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

parrot5 macrumors 6502

The article mentioned that since the flat area of the screen is the same spec for every iPhone (just the curvy borders aren't exact), so the flat area will adhere perfectly. The curvy borders will have some spots not adhering perfectly, hence the painted border (so you won't see the bubbles at the border)

12. Jazper macrumors 6502a

I want it, anyone want go over to China and get me some, no doubt they're already being sold over there. :p

13. julius071 macrumors regular

Very interesting way to put on the screen protector. Loving that background music on that youtube video.

14. Presonance thread starter macrumors regular

Presonance

Yes, from what I've read, the edges stick enough to hold on and protect the screen, but do not adhere exactly enough to form an invisible seal (there might be bubbles, etc). Since the edge seal is not invisible, they use a layer of black or white to cover it. The flat screen area of the protector does adhere perfectly, as normal.

15. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Looks promising, a moulded / curved edge is the solution.

16. SonicSoundVW macrumors regular

ok, next question is, are these ones able to be used with cases? heh, so far it seems like its one or the other but not both.

17. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping the thinnest of the thinnest would work. Like a 0.18mm one (thinnest I've seen, for the smaller ones)

18. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

MIME Feather+ comes in at .15, looks good.

19. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

I believe there are some 0.10mm glass screen protector.. but mostly from China at this moment. 0.15mm is more common.

20. SonicSoundVW macrumors regular

Thats the one i ordered.

21. roomer11 macrumors newbie

this one has an interesting way of pasting and it claims edge to edge too..
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1471240196499077

22. RMSko macrumors 6502

Looks like the Imos is available for pre-order from Connect2, however, if I'm doing the conversion right it's $60 USD, plus shipping. That seems to be a crazy amount to spend for a screen protector, especially since an AppleCare replacement is only $20 more. Granted this will probably protect against scratches better than the iPhone 6 Plus screen, but still seems a lot to spend without first seeing any reviews. While I'd like to have it, I think I'm going to first see the reviews to see if people think it's worth what they're charging.

23. 3rdiguy, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I really like the Moshi colored screen protector so I saw this on eBay for roughly $11. It's tempered glass and has oleophobic coating. I just find it easier to install and love that it surrounds the home button. I know it's inexpensive and comes from China but I will see when it arrives. I ordered for the 6+ And it's black even though it looks otherwise in the pic.

Attached Files:

24. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Link?

25. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261615278125