Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Purported parts for the iPhone 6 are continuing to surface, with Apple.club.tw sharing a new blurry photo [Google Translate] of what appears to be the front LCD frame of the device, complete with metal shielding that would separate the LCD itself from the remainder of the internals, as well as a metal bracket covering the home button.

iphone_6_frame_shielding.jpg
While it is not confirmed that this part is indeed from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, it is consistent with similar parts seen on previous iPhones. Apple.club.tw claims that it is the proper size for the larger iPhone 6, and that certainly appears reasonable based on how it looks in the hand.

The front panel seen in several recent photo and video leaks would attach to the opposite side of the frame shown in the new photo, covering the LCD and providing the smooth look of the device's front. That entire assembly would be fitted to the rear shell also seen in recent leaks, sandwiching around the battery, logic board, and other internals of the iPhone 6.

Update Jul 24 4:30 PM: According to an iFixit teardown, this part was actually for the Amazon Fire Phone.

Article Link: Claimed iPhone 6 Front Frame with LCD Shielding and Home Button Bracket Shown in New Photo [Updated]

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Thats ****in`awesome!

or not... Bring the whole phone allready. Some employee working at that "tequila lounge" that also serves lime-marinated shrimp ceviche in SF.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Now all we need is someone to put together the front panel, this part and the alleged back piece and we would get a real good idea of the look! :)

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
ill save everyone the trouble before they make a joke about "blurry photo so it must be real". Kiss my :apple:

SlowCarBoost

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
I don't think the 5.5 exists for the sole reason that we're only seeing leaks of the 4.7". The leaks can't be contained so we'd be seeing them by now if it was launching at the same time. It could be launching later as has been speculated but I'm really hoping that's not the case.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I don't think the 5.5 exists for the sole reason that we're only seeing leaks of the 4.7". The leaks can't be contained so we'd be seeing them by now if it was launching at the same time. It could be launching later as has been speculated but I'm really hoping that's not the case.

It is possible that the 5.5-inch version isn't in production just yet and that the rumors of a later release date are true. If it isn't in mass production, there aren't going to be part leaks. Same for the iWatch. But for what it's worth, we've seen at least one 5.5-inch iPhone part.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/21/5-inch-iphone-6-backlight/

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Claimed iPhone 6 Front Frame with LCD Shielding and Home Button Bracket Show...

So all that metal shielding will certainly add substantial weight to the device, right? Although weight has never been a deal breaker to me.

Last edited:

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007

It's also possible that the 5.5" phone and the iWatch are being produced at another manufacturing partner which has tighter security, or they haven't hit mass production yet.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
So all that metal shielding will certainly add substantial weight to the device, right? Although weight has never been a deal breaker to me.

No more weight than usual. That shield is in previous iPhones too. This is a good idea of how it all fits together, with the display behind the shield (iPhone 5s from iFixit):

CSAEHpRZaZNFySaB.medium

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This time last year, we had had a leaked PCB for almost a month. Either they're getting tighter about leaks, or I'd question that large volume order rumor that ran today.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
It is possible that the 5.5-inch version isn't in production just yet and that the rumors of a later release date are true. If it isn't in mass production, there aren't going to be part leaks. Same for the iWatch. But for what it's worth, we've seen at least one 5.5-inch iPhone part.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/21/5-inch-iphone-6-backlight/

My money is on it just not existing at the moment. Doesn't make much sense to stagger release dates for two diff but similar phone models.

The iwatch doesn't need to go into production yet since it's a new product launch, much like what we saw with the ipad when it was first announced. Announce the product, build demand and then launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.