iPhone 6 from AT&T work on Verizon and vice versa? How's AT&T in Seattle these days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajg23, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ajg23, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

ajg23 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about switching back to AT&T from Verizon--I can't believe I'm considering this, as a couple years ago I went from terrible service on AT&T to great service on Verizon (mostly talking about consistent mobile hotspot performance while on a bus going from Greenwood to downtown in Seattle). But I've been experiencing more slowdowns/dropouts in recent months, and AT&T apparently improving, so thinking about switching back...(although there's also concern that AT&T has greatly slowed upgrading/expanding towers??)

At any rate, when the iPhone 6 drops, I wonder whether buying the phone from AT&T vs Verizon would limit me in the future, eg
    • inability to access LTE network of AT&T, Verizon, or T-mobile if I buy a phone from one carrier but change carriers in the future
    • ability to swap SIM card with pre-paid T-mobile SIM to use in places where there is solid T-mobile service (?)
    • inability to use the phone internationally in many places
    • other considerations I might not know...?

Also very interested in people's experience in Seattle on AT&T, especially if you take a bus between downtown Seattle and Phinney/Greenwood :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. iHackPro macrumors regular

Don't have any advice on coverage as I'm not in Seattle, but the Verizon variant is unlocked and can be used on any carrier besides Sprint and its subsidies.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I get good service with AT&T all around the Seattle area. It was even working pretty decently at the Seahawks game Thursday night, which was definitely not the case last year.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Ditto this. The Verizon iPhones since the 5 can be used on Verizon or just about any GSM carrier worldwide (including AT&T and T-Mobile. The AT&T iPhone can be unlocked and used on other GSM carriers such as T-Mobile, but you would have to jump through those hoops, and it will not work on Verizon (that is, VZW won't activate it, and the CDMA portion is permanently locked).

I can't comment on service in the Seattle area.

5. ajg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, what if I buy from apple store? Would the phone be unlocked even if I but with an AT&T plan?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you buy the phone outright, yes.

Here is the thing though. If you want to be able to go back to Verizon, you MUST say you want the Verizon phone outright. If you get the AT&T phone (even unlocked), it will never go on Verizon's network.

Verizon phones are also unlocked out of the box, whether contracted, on Edge, or bought outright.

IMO, if buying outright, it always makes more sense to buy Verizon. The resale value is slightly higher when you want to get rid of it, and you are open to a whole lot more buyers.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

I'm assuming you take bus #5, I usually stream Spotify and there's been no issues with AT&T. I do the usually email, news and weather check while on the bus. One thing I've noticed though is AT&T isn't as fast as before, but enough speed to let me stream music and videos. Coverage is superb regardless.

8. ajg23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. lordofthereef, thanks for pointing out that I need to ask for Verizon phone if I buy from Apple. If I'm up for getting a new phone on contract, can I still buy through the Apple store at the contract-renewal price?

Rayfire, yes, the 5 is my most frequent :) I also use the 358 and sometimes 355 (and sometimes 28). I wonder if you're just listening to Spotify whether some dead zones might not be obvious because it doesn't take long to d/l the song you're listening to...Someone with AT&T told me there's a pretty big dead zone south of the Aurora bridge (maybe to Denny?) but that was some months ago...?

What I think I would like to do is get a Verizon-capable phone from Apple but try AT&T. But then I lose the subsidy :p