iPhone 6 full price launch day AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 6, 2014.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if att will allow full price iphone 6 on launch day via apple's website? In the past we usually needed to wait 4-6 weeks for this to happen. Not sure if NEXT or the new legislation of unlocked phones changes this.

Thanks in advance.

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow. I think it has been over a day since ANOTHER thread has been started about this topic.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why not call your carrier and ask them directly?

4. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

You could get one with NEXT and then pay it off after the first 2 payments. So, you would have it right away and be paid in full by about 8 weeks.

5. averlus macrumors regular

Wait, this is my first year ordering off contract. You can't order full price during the pre-order phase on Apple's website?

6. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

You can. If it's the t-mobile version. That version works on GSM networks.

The 'official' SIM-free version didn't come till November 22 last year.

7. averlus macrumors regular

I can't just order the AT&T with a SIM card in it for my current AT&T account? Last year I was renewing my contract, but they still sent me a SIM and my 4S was just deactivated when I activated my 5S. Why exactly would I not be able to do that this year, but just pay more since I'm not up for renewal?

Also, I can't do next because I'm grandfathered in to unlimited

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If you're still before your upgrade date, you can pay full price no problem.

OP's question I think was towards the unlocked/SIM-free versions which usually come a month or so after launch.

9. averlus macrumors regular

I guess I should also add that I want to do this through apple's website on preorder night. So will they not let me buy an AT&T phone through them at full price at midnight? Because that seriously details my plans

----------

Oh okay, I'm not trying to get anything but a basic AT&T phone not unlocked. Thanks for explaining it, almost had a heart attack! Lol

10. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Last year with the 5s, if you were eligible for an upgrade on AT&T, you had to use it if buying through the website. The only way to not extend or renew your contract was to buy the T-Mobile version.

11. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I would love to buy a completely unlocked phone on launch day, but having a hard time understanding what that means in terms of T-Mobile versions. I'm really sick of ATT, want to pay my ETF and go with Straight Talk on launch day.

12. blakek macrumors member

why don't you wait till the phone is actually announced, then wonder

call your carrier, this isn't at&t

13. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

OMG, what a useless answer. We all know the phone is being announced on Tuesday and therefore it seems okay to ask pertinent questions here, even if the answer is an educated guess. You don't have to be an ass.

14. blakek macrumors member

you don't know anything until it's official

you're about as useless as these forums. nothing has been announced, so really nothing is official

----------

if you're going to buy full price just get an unlocked version and swap your SIM. they don't care

15. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

At least I'm trying to participate on this forum in a genuine and productive way, and not just being snarky. If you don't have a useful answer then don't bother to post your venom.

16. lsh macrumors 6502

My suggestion - go to the site you want to use to order and 'practice' an order with a 5s (for instance), obviously not completing the transaction.

17. blakek, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

blakek macrumors member

deleted

18. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

I hope we're able to buy full-priced ATT phones. I'm in the same boat as I was up for an upgrade when the 5S came out and I used it. Plus I'm grandfathered in to unlimited date, too.

19. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

+1

I want to be able buy it contract-less. I don't want to lose my unlimited data.

20. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

The past is not always a predictor of the future.
    Since the 5S launch, AT&T has pushed AT&T Next hard. All the carriers have allowed unbundling of phones and service, following T-Mobile's lead. It is therefore entirely possible that unlocked full price iPhones will be available for all the major US carriers on day one, either via Apple or the carriers themselves.

We'll find out soon enough.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would expect AT&T to allow full price phones. Next is effectively that, though the cost is divided.

Worst case, get a next phone, pay it off that day, and turn in an unlock request. Unless of course you aren't even an AT&T customer and just want an iPhone.

I know a lot of people are telling you to call your carrier, but they may not even know yet. Rules about different handsets can be different. And since this phone is techincally still vaporware, they likely don't have official information to give.