iPhone 6 glass seems to be picking up more scratches than the 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphnhelp, Oct 13, 2014.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

I know this is anecdotal but under the same usage conditions and care the glass on my iPhone 6 has more marks and scuffs than my iPhone 5 after 2 years of use.

I've got a hairline scratch in the middle of the screen and on the bottom left corner of the edge of the display some scuff marks. Of course I baby my phone, use a case etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone's experience is the same? Obviously not trying to slam the iPhone 6- I love it. But I have noticed this.

I would have expected even stronger glass on this new model vs the glass on the 5, but it seems to be worse based on my experience.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Scratch prone too. Is this what people are referring to as hair-gate? This iPhone must really be the cheapest ever released.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm certainly seeing a number of threads about scratches. I'm glad I got a screen protector on that bad boy before anything started to show up.

4. runningtowin macrumors member

I've noticed it. Ordered a screen protector - my first one ever.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

My wife has never used a screen protector on any of her phones and I've never seen a scratch (which surprises me because they rattle around in her purse). I'll keep an eye on her 6+ and post back if / when I see any scratches.

I've seen in other threads people wonder if it's a scratch in the glass or the oleophobic coating.

6. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Yeah I noticed two scratches when I had my 6, Got the 6 Plus and a screen protector went on it out the box. Easy solution.

7. Kevin22 macrumors member

I wasn't going to put my protector on for a bit because of a bunch of youtube videos that show people taking keys/knifes/etc to the screen, but i'm seeing a lot of these threads pop up so I may just toss it on there just to be safe.
    I certainly wouldn't complain if I DID in fact scratch it, because lets face it... it would be MY fault, /not/ apples. People really need to start taking responsibility for these things unless it sits on a desk 24/7 and a ghost makes a hairline scratch while your in the bathroom.
    same thing goes with bending... Really?? wtf would you think would happen when you put a thin 6" piece of aluminum in your pocket?
    These same people are the type to carry a hot pizza like a damned briefcase and want their money back or re-make.

I remember a time when there wasn't screen protectors. The old Nokia brick phones comes to mind (like 1998ish). I had that thing so damn scratched up I couldn't read the screen when I was in the sun. Not to mention all of the numbers were worn down and the only way I knew what numbers I was dialing was from memory/habit.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Get a tempered glass protector. You honestly won't even notice its there. They are under $5 on eBay.

9. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

I dont think you want to invest in a $5 temepered glass screen protector.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Believe it or not, I always put tempered glass protectors on my devices...and they all cost around $5 from eBay. I was sold on them when I dropped my Nexus 5 a few months back and I thought the screen cracked...luckily it was my $5 tempered glass protector. So, yes, I ALWAYS purchase them.

11. Piyo macrumors newbie

Could it just be that due to the size there's now more glass to scratch? FWIW I got my + on launch day in Aus and as far as I can tell (short of pulling out a softbox and macro lens) it has no scratches in either the glass or coating.

12. shady25 macrumors member

I've noticed a few on my screen after having it in the same pocket with my keys. Oh well. As long as I can't see it when the screen is on I don't care about minor imperfections

13. iphnhelp thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this isn't a thread about Apple sucking or bringing up any other stupid controversies...

Just trying to build a consensus on weather or not there is anything different going on with the glass than the previous iPhone.

If it's Gorilla Glass 3 I would expect it to be more scratch resistant but I'm not seeing that...

14. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Just me, but I'm not seeing any scratches on my iPhone 6 Plus. And this is after putting it in the same pocket as my keys and mistakenly placing things on top of it.
    Take that for what it is worth.

15. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

The problem is, a forum post cannot accomplish this.

It's purely self-selecting and anecdotal.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Kinda getting a little crazy how many scratched iPhone 6 and 6 Plus threads are popping up. Make me wonder what is going on!

Sounds like the Gorilla glass is not as good on the 6 as it was on the 5 and 5S.

17. wxman2003 Suspended

The problem with dry install or glass screen protectors is that they don't go edge to edge. I have a dry install on mine. It looks fine, but since they do not protect the edges, you will start to see fine scratches on those exposed where the glass begins to curve. I already have a few. Glass is good to prevent the screen from breaking if it falls on its face, but will provide little if any protection if it lands on it's exposed edges since the protectors do not go edge to edge. Overall, dry or glass are still better than nothing.

18. ssdaytona macrumors member

You guys think the tempered glass screen protectors are better at screen breakage than regular non-tempered glass protectors?

19. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I found some full coverage screen protectors on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Full-Co...ne_Screen_Protectors&var=&hash=item3f3eae58d8

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Says .3 mm...

22. macduke Suspended

macduke

Yeah but have they made a protector yet that fits the contoured edges of the 6? Because day one everyone was complaining and posting pics of their screen protectors not covering the whole screen, peeling up, etc. Looked terrible and didn't seem like it would last, especially with all the edge swipe gestures catching the edge and peeling it back.

23. shunting123 macrumors member

The facade overall seems much more glossy than the 5 or the 4.

I'm wondering what they changed that has likely resulted in it being less scratch resistant, even if it still is Gorilla Glass.

24. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Right now I have the iCarez HD clear (plastic film) running the Apple silicone case and its perfect, covers the screen and not cut too short. I am waiting until a legitimiate tempered protector is made the right way before purchasing the ones that are available right now.

25. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It's true. Went to Apple store, almost ALL 6's are scratched, NONE of 5s/c are scratched. Some scratches on 6's are so deep that they magnify pixels, supervisible and superannoying.

I wonder if :apple: used acrylic plastic on the 6's...