iPhone 6 Holdout - Do I Get a 7 or an 8 or an X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 24, 2017.

1. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

If you use your iPhone to connect to resources at work (like your work email), you might want to make sure you will be able to do that without device lock enabled. You can try it with your current phone. Personally I think the risks of not having device lock enabled are just too great. Since you are so concerned about giving up TouchID, maybe the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus would be a better option? I would at least wait until the X has been out long enough to see how well FaceID works in the situations many of us are concerned about.

Sean

2. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

While not putting a passcode on a phone is a bit risky, having no Touch ID is too inconvenient. I'll take convenience over security.

3. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I went to an Apple store yesterday to check out the new iPhones and I’ve decided that im going to go for the iPhone 8. I love new tech and would love to get the iPhone X but no matter how i try:oops: i just cant justify the price... I also tried to convince myself that i could live with an 8 Plus but although i have largish hands its just not me... l prefer pocket power!

So as soon am able to send in my 6 for recycle (waiting for rpc to send me the packing stuff) im 99% ordering the iPhone 8 and downloading a decent fauxtrait app - as the bokeh/portrait mode is the feature im most keen on:D

4. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

;

I was a day 1 6Plus user. I kept it for 2 years and went with the 7 (4.7 inch) last Fall mainly due to the design. I didn’t like carrying the plus size! The 6Plus had fantastic battery life. I’ve found the 7 battery life to be very good as well and it zips along well with iOS 11. If I were you, I’d opt for the 8 (4.7 inch). Honestly, I think both the 7 and the 8 tick all of your boxes (battery life, weight and OS speed) with the 8 having a slight advantage in the battery category with the 50% charge capability in 30 minutes. Nice to have for a quick charge at the end of a work day to use in your car.

I like the idea of the X in that you get a larger display than the 8, but with “roughly” the same physical size. However, I’m going to pass on it for many of the reasons you mentioned in this thread (ie Face ID is a hassle in business meetings and various other scenarios, Touch ID is very efficient with Apple Pay, etc...).

5. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

I'm leaning in your direction for the reasons you mention.

The price we are being asked to pay for the big OLED display are just too steep. No, not money. It's the inconvenience.

6. Zipster3 Suspended

[
    You keep saying its not the money, just get the 8 4.7" no brainer coming from a 6 if you don't want a plus, if you don't like it when the X comes sell it, give it away, get the X, problem solved.

I got a 8 4.7 for the size and i drive to so want TID not FID in my car holder.

7. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I won’t be surprised if FaceID ends up working conveniently with dashboard mounted iPhone holders. Here in a Washington State, the only legal way to use a smartphone while driving is to mount it to the dashboard for maps and directions. Minimal use of a finger on the device is permissible. Of course FaceID would be dangerous if it forces the driver to stare at the phone for seconds, but as long as it works with a split second glance it willl be fine. We will have to wait and see how well it works.

I bike to work, but when I travel I use my iPhone for driving directions. I use it only to display the map. I use my Apple Watch for Siri, to answer or make a call while driving, and to check turn based directions.

Sean

8. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I'm leaning towards the X, but it is a tough decision, Google is also coming out with something next month.

9. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I’m too happy with my Apple Watch to consider switching to Google these days, but I’m still curious to see what Google announces next week. I’m mostly waiting to see what people like and don’t like about the X after some real world use. Even if it’s a bumpy start I might go with the X. I’ve already decided I want the dual camera and larger display in a smaller phone. Apple has steadily improved the Apple Watch and I’m sure they will be even more attentive to their flagship iPhone.

10. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Everytime I look at the photo quality of the 8+... I feel like Apple has drugged me into thinking it is the best phone camera. The dual camera setup is very attractive, though if the 8 had just as good picture quality with it's one OIS camera, I would be satisfied... though there aren't enough pictures being shared to go around.

11. MacTea macrumors newbie

I must have seen countless posts from you on 8, 8+ and X in the last few days, yet I have no idea what phone you ended up buying or want to buy. Genuinely interested and thoroughly confused.

12. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I'm kind of the opposite. I hate my Apple Watch, but I'm a little afraid to switch because I don't want my Watch to become completely useless. I do like the faces, and I do like having several watches to rotate.

13. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Since you've waited three years, it wouldn't hurt to wait until November when you get your hands on all of the devices in question and really get a sense for which one works for you. Given that you're a 6 (not 6 Plus) user, I would probably lean toward the X:
    • The 7 won't be as much of an upgrade. It's already a year old before you even buy it.
    • The 8 would be a great upgrade, no doubt. It's going to be very similar in form factor to your 6 with no real improvement in the screen, etc.
    • The X will be of similar size to the 6 you're used to, but with a bigger and better display than the 8. It'll also have OIS on all the cameras, better photo/video options, etc.
    But, that's just me tossing things out there. It's probably still a good idea to go sit in a store for a while playing with each of them.

14. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Thing is, I don't believe in November, I think it's going to be more like January based on my past experiences with iPhone purchases at 3AM NYC time. And if I wait to see one in the flesh in November, well, I'll probably be waiting until March which is unacceptable as my 6 is running sluggish and the battery isn't what it used to be.

It's also important for me to make a decision before the X gets out in the wild as I suspect there will be a lot of negative reviews and people on the fence will start buying 8's in droves and there won't be enough stock there either.

15. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

With the price bump on the 8 the 7 is definitely the sweet spot in terms of value for money, especially at the 128gb storage tier.

16. ImBuz macrumors regular

ImBuz

This is my situation also--old 6--just not sure I can hold out for ipX to be in my hands

17. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

It would be hard for me to make it to March as well. My iPhone 6 has a tendency to die on me during the colder months. I have about a half hour walk to work and then a half hour walk home. I like to listen to music, NPR, podcasts, etc. When the temperatures get a bit colder, it will often just power down even if it has plenty of battery left. Sometimes it will power up again, but usually it won't until I get home and plug it in.

I'm tempted by the 8 Plus, but I've never owned a Plus. I like the idea of dual cameras and a bigger display without having to get a larger phone. I am hoping to upgrade in December or early January, but yeah... I'm not expecting it based on supply and demand rumors.

18. umbrokhan macrumors member

iPhone 6 PLus 79 hours 172 g
    iPhone 6S PLus 85 Hours 192 g
    iPhone 7 Plus 75 Hours 188 g
    iPhone 8 Plus 81 Hours 202 g

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It's funny how people feel the need to justify using a product for 3 years.

20. umbrokhan macrumors member

21. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

"Justify" nothing.

The 8 and the 7 aren't enough to get many 6 owners excited as the 6 is probably the greatest consumer electronic product ever made, those the followed are only iterative. Not to mention that for many the headphone jack is still a major win for their lifestyle.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Further justification. Why does replacement need to be considered, regardless of what came later.

23. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

I don't even know what you're trying to say.

A replacement needs to be considered, in my case, because here 3 years later my iPhone 6 is running slow on newer iOS versions, apps are prompting me to upgrade to iOS 11, and the battery isn't what it used to be. I don't actually want a new iPhone. But age and circumstances are making it more of a necessity.

24. drzen macrumors member

drzen

I was on a 6 until it just suddenly died and refused to power on a month ago. I got an 8 (not Plus) and actually downgraded in storage from 128 to 64.

Seeing the general direction Google is headed in with the new Pixel 2 XL and its design and excellent implementation of AI, I might switch in two years when they refine it to a solid iPhone competitor (they have already matched 10 years of camera innovation at Apple in only two generations of devices.)

25. Jabar18 macrumors member

This exact scenario was me about a month ago. I was a day one iPhone 6 user and had that phone for two years until the battery crapped out. Apple gave me a replacement iPhone 6 for $99, which I used for one more year.

LOVED the iPhone 6. Honestly had no issues with it but my battery was starting to go and it was getting sluggish with every passing iOS update.

Three years is about my personal limit with an iPhone. I used the iPhone 4 for three years before I got the 6 and at that point I replaced the battery myself, it was pretty much toast. iPhone 6, same deal. Three years.

I thought it would be great to step up to an iPhone 8+, but I couldn’t handle the larger size. I enjoyed the bigger screen but HATED the size of the the Plus. I ended up returning it for an iPhone 8, 64gb. I probably will keep this for two years and then see what Apple’s releasing in 2019.

I bought it unlocked and sim-free, and while that was certainly more money than I should be spending on a phone right now, I own the phone and can sell it privately whenever I want. That makes a big difference.

I always thought a Plus would be better due to the larger screen and better battery. Honestly, I hated carrying it in my pocket and ended up leaving it at home for times during the week I had it.

The X was never a serious consideration for me because I was never going to spend over a G on a phone, and I needed to sell my old 6 while I could get as much money for it as possible. As it was, I got about $175 for it, so the upgrade from a 6 to an 8 cost me about $525, not including tax. Over 2-3 years, that’s not bad.

My suggestion would be to take a long hard look at the 8 and ask yourself why you really need an X. Sure, I definitely would have wanted one, but I didn’t need it.

You can’t let emotion make the decision for you over how you use your phone, and personal budget.

I don’t feel like I’m compromising at all with the 8. The specs are pretty much the same as the 8+ or the X except the camera, and screen size. I don’t care about enough to either justify having a phone where I hate the size of it, or spending $300 more just to get a slightly bigger screen with the same form factor.

Definitely happy I listened to my gut and returned the 8+ to go with the 8. It’s a fantastic upgrade from a 6.