iPhone 6, is it worth 150-200% the price of Android high-end phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skaertus, Dec 14, 2014.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I am planning to buy a new smartphone, probably as early as today. I currently have a 16 GB iPhone 5 and it is getting really slow, and battery life drains too fast. The one I intend to buy is a 64 GB iPhone 6. It has a great size and seems awesome, with the exception of battery life, which seems to be crappy.

The thing is, the iPhone 6 is insanely expensive here in Brazil. The minimum prices are as follows (these are not the prices suggested by Apple, which are even higher; these are the cheapest models I managed to find for each model):

• 16 GB iPhone 6: US$ 1100
    • 64 GB iPhone 6: US$ 1250
    • 128 GB iPhone 6: US$ 1400
    • 16 GB iPhone 6 Plus: US$ 1250
    • 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus: US$ 1400
    • 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus: US$ 1700

The prices are very high because of the huge taxes charges by the government (the prices are a little lower than they used to be because the US dollar has gone up in the last few days). Anyway, the iPhone is the most expensive smartphone here. All Android phones are much less expensive.

Here is a list of the Android phones I managed to find:

• LG G3: US$ 570
    • Samsung Galaxy Alpha
    • Samsung Galaxy S5 (16 GB): US$ 690
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (32 GB): US$ 950
    • Motorola Moto G: US$ 270
    • Motorola Moto X: US$ 500
    • Motorola Droid Turbo (64 GB) (called Moto Maxx here): US$ 770
    • Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (16 GB): US$ 580
    • Sony Xperia Z3 (16 GB): US$ 725

All of them, even the flagship Android phones, are much cheaper than the iPhone; and Windows phones follow the same pattern.

The thing is, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 last year to replace my iPhone 4s (about june 2013) and I just couldn't use it. It was awkaward to hold in one hand. It was uncomfortable to use. The user interface was terrible. The software available for Android was worse and less polished than the software available for iOS. The touch screen of the S4 was not so accurate as the one in the iPhone. Overall, the Samsung Galaxy S4 provided a sub-par experience compared to the iPhone; the experience was not half as polished. So, after two weeks, I gave the S4 to my mother (I cannot take the phone back to the store like in the U.S.; here, if I take it out of the store, it's mine forever). Then, I bought an iPhone 5, which is the one I want to replace now.

Now, it's time to replace my iPhone again and I am just wondering.

I look at several smartphones in the stores, and they all look great and nice, and are much cheaper than the iPhone. And they seem to provide a much better battery life than the iPhone, which is something critical (as I must carry chargers with me all day to provide extra battery). I used the Nexus 5 of a friend for a few minutes and it felt very good and polished and all; and it was way cheaper than an iPhone (the Nexus 5 is not available for sale anymore here in Brazil).

But, at the same time, I wonder whether I will feel the same lack of polish that I felt after using the S4 for a couple of weeks back in 2013. I know the Android phones must have improved, and that Android and software available to it must have improved as well. Or that there may be smartphones more comfortable to use than the S4. An Android phone is cheaper, but if the experience is crap again, then I will end up buying another iPhone anyway.

So, what would you recommend? Has Android phones improved a lot since last year? Given my experience, should I go with the iPhone 6 or should I try another Android phone?

2. cmdrdredd macrumors member

Only you can decide. It's a lot of money but you do get a device that feels more premium than most comparable Android phones.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Good grief. A lot of writing!

Simple to me. I do not like Android as much as what Apple offers. Not a Google fan either.

4. cmdrdredd macrumors member

If it helps, I'm moving from a Galaxy S5 to a iPhone 6 Plus.

5. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Oh really? And how does it feel? How was your experience with the S5?

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Why the hell is it so much more expensive in Brazil? Here in the US I paid $650 for a 16GB iPhone 6. In Brazil it cost $1100? That's an insane jump.

7. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I am not a fan of Apple nor Google (perhaps I can be a fan of the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whatsoever but not of a tech company :D).

I didn't like Android when I tried it in mid-2013. But it had that horrible Touch Wiz of Samsung, and now it seems to have improved with the 5.0 Lollipop version.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

iPhones have very good 'screen on' times and real world usage now with the i6 and 6+. The Nexus 5 you mention has dreadful battery life in comparison, and a cheap build with wobbly buttons. It is however a very well spec'd phone, but you get what you pay for when it comes to build quality.
    Are Apple devices worth the extra outlay? Well in terms of features, no. They definitely over charge for their products but they are nice to look at and generally work well. If you find the devices preferable to the Android equivalent, then they are worth the outlay to *you*. If money is tight then there isn't anything wrong with a flagship Android phone. Lots of people choose them even if money is no object, if that helps.

9. cmdrdredd macrumors member

I liked the S5 as a device, but the software Samsung crams on there is terrible. Samsung always puts their own skin on Android called touchwiz and other apps I never used. The only way to remove these is to root the phone which for some is not a solution. They do not have Android 5.0 for the S5 and nobody knows when it will happen.

My father has an iPhone 6 4.7" and I played with it and like it. There's some things I have to get used to like no back button on the device and no widgets to customize my home screen etc. However the device feels nicer in my hand and iOS is smoother to navigate.

10. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, it does. The "premium feel" is not really what drives me. I am interested in the premium experience. The flagship software. The comfort to use in the hands. The responsive touch screen. Those kinds of stuff. I can get the best Android phone in the world for a fraction of the price of the iPhone. But does it provide a similar experience as of now? Or is it just crap?

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is a choice you will have to make. I am not fan either but it all works well for me and I choose Apple. Android has a lot of great features.

12. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

This is similar to the feeling I got when I used an S4. Just crap. Feels uncomfortable in the hand. Touch Wiz is crap.

I wonder if the experience would be any different if I got an LG or a Motorola model.

13. cmdrdredd macrumors member

Motorola makes the Nexus line which has bare Android with no skin. It's much better and gets the latest updates. The device though isn't as high end as a Samsung or LG model.

iOS is still smoother than Android 5.0 BTW

14. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Actually, the prices I mentioned are lower than they used to be. The US dollar has gone up in the last few days. At launch, the announced price of the cheapest model (the 16 GB iPhone 6) was US$ 1350.

As a general rule, prices in Brazil are double the price in the US. Brazil is probably the most expensive country in the world for consumer electronics. The reason for this are the taxes charged by the government. There are several taxes which add up to sometimes 100% of the total price of the product.

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It is almost the same in other parts of the world (in my country the price is $863). No explanation. It just costs more outside the US. Same with Macs.

16. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I have not yet seen or tested Android 5.0, but it looks much nicer than the previous versions. Perhaps it's not yet on par with iOS.

17. cmdrdredd macrumors member

It's a new OS, and it is experiencing some growing pains. The new Nexus 6 has poor battery life compared to supposedly lower end models, disappointing performance etc. Speculation says that 5.0 needs a few tweaks still. iOS is a little bit more refined because the OS is made for the device(s) that use it.

18. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

To be honest, no. Android and iOS are pretty neck and neck and it's a tough choice in most of the world where prices are the same... I think Apple has a slight edge. Worth double the price? No way.

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Import tariffs are high for products not made in Brazil. Really sucks for consumers there imo.

20. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

It makes sense to protect their growing economy in some ways, and remember the reason you can get many Android phones at reasonable prices is that there are Brazil models made in Brazil... Apple surely has enough demand that they could go this route...

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For that much more, I'd probably stick with Android.

22. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

Can you buy one from someone in the US and ship it to you? Will it work on your carrier?

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Do you travel? At those prices it might be better to buy one on your next vacation to a country where they are cheaper.

24. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

If you're able to afford the iPhone, it will give you a better experience than any of the phones you listed. You seem to be like me and "dislike" the Android experience, mainly because companies bloat their software and create fugly interfaces.

The only Android phones I would consider are those running stock Android. The Nexus 6 or Nexus 5 are both great alternatives to iOS. I convinced my old roommate to get the Nexus 5 and he has nothing but good things to say about it. The Nexus 6 is larger, newer, and more expensive than the Nexus 5. It's cheaper than an iPhone, though.

The good thing about running stock Android is that you'll receive updates like iOS. Stock Android devices receive updates the day it's released. The same can't be said about Android phones running alternate OS versions.

25. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

I have a Nexus 5 build quality is perfectly fine and doesn't have wobbly buttons not on mine at least, as for battery wouldn't say it's dreadful I can easily get a full day out of mine no problem at all, it really depends on how much you use it.

As it stands atm with Android 5.0 Lollipop battery life is worst than what it was when on 4.4.4 Kitkat, but i think this will be sorted when the 5.0.1 update comes out sometime next week hopefully.

The Nexus 5 is a dam good smartphone for a really good price, even though it now over a year old, it can still hold it own against all current crop smartphones.