iPhone 6 laps top Android competitors in multi-tasking speed test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aevelasquez, Oct 2, 2014.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Here's a Head to Head to Head from David Rahimi. The iPhone laps its top Android competitors, with a ascending lag in the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5 so far behind the iPhone 6 literally laps it in the multitasking speed brawl.

Check it out below:

2. CupertinoSlave macrumors regular

CupertinoSlave

Android phones are garbage, I feel bad for the people who go for Android flagships because the "specs" are "better" than iPhone.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

But, but, but, but.... the iPhone 6 only has 1GB of RAM! How is this possible???

4. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Pretty good for 1gb of RAM, although for my personal use I don't care as much about games reloading I care more about tabs reloading, unfortunately the tab he had open did reload.

Oh well, still might be better than the competition I don't know, haven't had enough hands on with android phones.

5. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

So the iPhone has only 1gb of ram, yet had all the games paused, while the other two phones with more ram had to reload every game, correct?

So what was all the outrage about the iPhone only having 1gb of ram about? lol

6. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Tab reloading mostly, go read anandtechs review.

7. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

If only Android users could see this ****...then again, they'd no longer be Android users if they weren't blind.

8. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

Ah, but so did the Android phones. So more RAM is not the answer, more likely implementation.

9. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Didnt look like the m8 reloaded the tab to me.

Besides even anandtech says its ram. This isn't software.

10. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

At 2:42 you can clearly see both the M8 and iPhone 6 loading the AT&T page. Only the iPhone 6 started slightly earlier.

And Anandtech don't know what causes it, they don't make or design any tech hardware. I would never take their word for it.

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

So you'd rather take your assumption?

This issue is present in every ios device I've used, not software.

12. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

It's also present in phones with 2GB of RAM. Not an issue with lack of memory.

13. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for 2gb of ram but even with all that I disliked about the note 3 I owned for a short time, one thing I liked was that it didn't reload tabs like the iphone.

14. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

I'm not saying the iPhone doesn't reload tabs, clearly it does. However, it's not caused by lack of RAM. It's caused by how they manage memory in Safari. Other browsers keep more tabs in memory than Safari, pointing to the fact that it's simply memory management (though still not enough tabs for my usage). Also evidenced by the fact that an old Samsung I had, with only 1GB of memory, kept tabs open for longer too. And some Android phones with 2GB of memory reload tabs just as often as iOS.

tl;dr Not a memory issue, it's a garbage collection issue with iOS.

15. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Not buying it mate. I've tried other browsers and have gotten reloads the same. Unless there exists a third party browser that pages tabs to the flash storage it's going to happen.

16. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

This is quite a lead the iPhone has over the competition, but as said in the video, speed isn't everything. Those androids can do things the iPhone can't even do. I went from the note 3 to the 6 plus and miss some of the features from the note 3 but love other things about the 6 plus the note 3 did poorly. People just need to make informed decisions and stop being so die hard loyal to a brand, that ignorance will get you nowhere. To make a good argument for your case, you need to know the competition.

17. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

You can lead a horse to water...

18. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Whatever I'm not going to sit there and believe its software, when every single iphone does this and has never been fixed.

19. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

iPhone 6 laps top Android competitors in multi-tasking speed test

It's called garbage collection, if you knew anything about software development you wouldn't be arguing with me.

In other words, it's intrinsic within iOS, it's not a bug. It does it by design. Other less popular web browsers do a better job at keeping the memory from being reclaimed--though I'm not sure how.

20. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Sure thing buddy. Anandtech is wrong you're right.

21. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

Sure thing, anandtech is always right. And evidence pointing otherwise is just fabricated.

22. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

No one claims Anandtech is wrong....

But, safari on iOS is horrible with page reload. I tested it earlier today. 4-5 pages before it reloaded.

On chrome for ios...I got it all the way to 12 pages...then I have up trying. Never reloaded.

23. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Thanks for the share OP! This is a win for Apple "fanboys and fangirls" as they call us.

I have a feeling it has to do with how background processes are managed/paused/stopped. On android, using an application that uses the GPS drains battery very fast even when its not running, yet on iOS, it seems like there is better power management there with a paused GPS app actually not chewing through battery life. Though I do wonder if it did have 2GB of RAM, how much faster would the iPhone 6 fare? Would it take advantage of it and blow the others out of the water?

I would also be curious how it stacks up against the One Plus One

24. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Oh god here we go... could someone please explain how each os handles multitask? Once you learn that then this will be irrelevant...im curious as to when people will grasp the basic concept that yheses 2 os operates totally different....geez

25. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Your missing the point. Its not that they operate differently, but the 1 os operates BETTER than the other OSes... and that one OS happens to be the Apple one! :):):)