iPhone 6 Line Ups!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vpro, Sep 19, 2014.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Here is what me and friends think about the long line ups for landfill destined phones like the new iPone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus:

[​IMG]

Please share vastly if this speaks to you too?

I love You all!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Except old phones get handed down to others and traded in for resale. Who is tossing their phones in the trash?

3. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Physician, heal thyself.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Except for the fact that the value and cost of iPhones is regarded as high enough to trade/recycle/hand down, rather than simply throw away like some $10 Walmart android special.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Winner winner chicken dinner

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nicely done.:D

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

No, it doesn't speak to me, and I don't love you. Now let me enjoy my rabid consumerism in peace.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You win. Flawless Victory... FATALITY.

BL.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, I have a few phones. But I plan to get an iPhone 6 plus.

I will however not wait in line for it, because I have a life and better things to do.

I like how most people will line up for a phone, but wont help out in a soup kitchen, or give a few bucks to said soup kitchen.

10. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Thank you!

This is one of the most intelligent response comments I ever read on any of my postings :) I appreciate your input so much :)

To those here who are playing Mortal Combat style comment responses I am giggling inside with so much love for you right now.

I'm an independent recording artist and composer. All of my gear as I mentioned in a previous post with my unboxing videos of tons of gear, were all donated to me the very same way you describe iPhones being passed down after use. All of those mac gear I own were donated / gifted / purchased with Federal grant award money -- so I may carry out my independent productions and thrive as a full time artist.

So that as "G51989" said, I too have better things to do with my time and money than stand in line (but I'll add my 2 cents to it and say) ... or sit back and justify waiting in line for a phone, while I am very aware that in my own communities, where I devote time too, to perform music for the working poor / homeless shelters and Churches and cook soups / meals for my community.

It isn't like I live in a small corner of my own and enjoy myself.

For all the things these devices can do - most people just stare blankly into them as if they were some great windows into the bigger reality but fact is, you look deeper into your own neurosis and lose more grip on the reality of your surroundings :D

I love you all so much!

Love is not always easy for everyone so I understand - no hurt feelings here.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The bottom of the screen does not work when in landscape at least not to go from Mobil to desktops

----------

If you hold the phone with your left hand your index finger rest on the new location of the power button. Yes I just got mine

12. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

So, to summarize, you created a meme to be critical of people waiting in line on their own time to spend their own money on something they want, and then come on here to tell us about how you use government funding to buy Macs for yourself which you apparently use to make memes critical of people waiting in line on their own time to spend their own on something they want.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Zing!!!

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So you're OK with tech handouts to you but have a problem with those using money they earned to buy tech? Just what are we getting for the tech we buy you?

15. vpro, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Thank you loves..

The role of artists is to be critical, well some of us, to respond to our environment and make commentaries. To offer a perspective that is creative and evocative. I don't get hand-outs, there is a long, long application process, which then gets voted on by a panel of peer judges - to getting Federal Grants money, awards and scholarships etc, grant money allows an artist to fulfill her artistic goals, to host forums and workshops in her communities for low income and troubled kids, after school free music appreciation lessons, use of technology to facilitate all possible forms of creative expression - merging acoustic instruments with virtual ones.

So there are obligations with the grant money. But the grant money is there, it will always be there, just as money will always be there for the military, or produce weapons for other nations to destroy each other with. I get grants from money set aside for creative work which essentially goes back to the communities I work with or work in...

I have now sense of entitlement and possessiveness, these pieces of tech are solely to produce work, to distribute work, for learning on / teaching on etc. When I have met my goals, I pass on these pieces of technology to other after school programs for youth to have in their classrooms.

I mainly tour and perform concerts, theatre and dance, I spend a lot of time online with my i devices because it is a lonely world when you are constantly on the road, in the air or out at sea. I produce many solo / collaborative albums with the tech items but performing LIVE is what I mainly do, so the tech is mainly to promote with, create with, collaborate with and connect with.

I am still learning on all the tech I have been granted and gifted, it is a world that intrigues me greatly - but because my acoustic instruments are my main passions, I always pass on the gadgets and replenish them when needed. It is one of many cycles of offering back to one's community - as an artist, that is one of many of our roles!

If you are sincerely interested in what I offer and give back, there are some examples online, I don't like too much publicity of my work, I am more LIVE & IN YOUR FACE sort of artist, so I don't have too much online other than what people have put up of me and a very small number of my own postings. It isn't difficult to find me inside the World Wide Web. I guess people here don't peek at one anothers profiles' to get to know the individual behind the text much huh?

I LOVE u ALL !!

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Landfill destined? (OP)

----------

And there is electronic recycling although I don't know if that applies to phones. What is the point of the OP?

17. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Do I need to spell it out for you and draw diagrams or what?

Reading is an important skill. Deep understanding is a really great start. Try that.

I love you all!

18. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I like how most people will spend hundreds of hours watching and reading about sports, but won't study topics that would expand their view of the world like biology, political science, and psychology.

I never really understood the criticism of people who want to wait in line. I mean, I get it that the people making the criticism don't feel that it's worth waiting in line for, but who cares? Surely everyone has spent time doing something that they enjoyed, even though other people would have found it to be a waste of time. I've only waited in line for a product launch once (OS X 10.5, and I only waited in line for about an hour), and while I don't care much to do it again, I can see the appeal. There's a feeling of excitement, anticipation, and even a bit of camaraderie with the other people in the line. A new product is exciting, and waiting in line just adds a bit more to it.

Maybe a nice analogy is that it's like tailgating before a sports game? I'm not a sports fan, so I'm not sure if it's an apt comparison... and I'm a partial believer in what I wrote above, in thinking that sports represent a huge time waster for many people. I don't see the appeal, personally, but I can understand and respect that it's a source of pleasure and excitement for others. I'm not sure why the same tolerance isn't extended to people who get excited and wait in line for Apple products.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Agreed.

We shouldn't ask artists to be pure and free of the contradictions that each and every member here in PRSI falls prey to.

And I appreciate that you've received a number of negative posts, yet you responded quite reasonably.

Peace, brotherman.

Don't let the naysayers get you down.

20. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Yeah, most PRSI members don't use their government-funded Macs to create such lame memes though.

21. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Actually. To clarify.

Non of the listed Mac devices are government funded :) They were exclusively private gifts or from gift money. Government grants usually goes towards my album productions, workshops and public events I curate with under privaledged kids for afterschool free music programs in my communities. Government grants also help me tour and enter arts residencies abroad. Government grants don't actually cover the aquisition of "gear", but it can be budgeted for transportation, accomodation and studio time / services to get a project done.

As a self employed - full time artist, my role is also to create jobs and spread the funding out to other artists in the community so we all grow, and move forward together. In doing so a lot of community leaders step up to provide me with the technology resources to carry out my work better. There are no obligations with those gifts, they encourage me to be critical and provide a perspective which challenges social norms/comforts enough. I ruffle feathers but I don't blow up buildings you get the drift?

Just to clarify for most of you :)

I love you all!!

----------

Hey thank you ! I appreciated this much!!!

^_^

22. Huntn, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm focused on your original post. I'm having trouble linking your comment "landfill destined iPhones" with your social agenda. Apparently it was enough of a distraction or me to question it.

23. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I don't really get what the social agenda is, for that matter. He's making a comparison between people who wait in line for a luxury product and those who are in line for necessary supplies... I guess? What's the point? Trying to draw attention to the fact that there are people in need? Everyone knows that.

It kind of reminds me of interactions I had with my grandfather when I was a boy. Picky eater that I was, I often felt full very quickly and left food on my plate. "You know," my grandfather would say as he sat next to me, "there are children starving in Africa." A true statement, to be sure, and a clear effort to motivate me to finish off the remaining food. And yet, how the devil would forcing myself to eat the excess food on my plate do anything for those starving children? What difference would it make whether I finished the food or not? (This becomes all the more puzzling when you consider that I didn't dish the food for myself, nor did I have any say about the portion size...)

Similar story here. Whether people wait in line for an Apple product or not, how does it have any bearing on those who are less fortunate?

24. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Just my personal response to my environment...

I am not critical of any individual person or group of people really. I am only looking at people in the "free-world western commercial, capitolist society" VS developing and third world countries or civil war torn corners of the world where people are "forced" to wait hours and days, weeks in line for a few pieces of stale bread, porage and a crumb of meat, some clean water maybe a piece of fruit or a candy?

I'm not against or angry :) I hope you don't think I'm contraditicing myself or anyone else. I'm only presenting a perspective. If Apple line ups (dying to get the latest & greatest) which gets a lot of happy, excited media coverage and people really excited to support that, great, where there are also people around the world who really support and have sincere concern for those in the darker corners of the world who wait in line for their lives.

It is a social commentary, it isn't condemning nor condoning. It is simply a paralelle event happening all over the world.

We are a society of great self entitlement and of great fortune, so if we do think about others once in a while and think about our own funny behaviors, and our obsession with consumer objects, we think we deserve to enjoy what ever we want at any time, we almost expect that this is normal. But there are people in the world who are so oppressed and marginalized to the point of having the least of the least. That's all. If we enjoy to be in a line up, that is enough, but to think that it is more than that.

Joy and sadness are one :)

I love you all!

(forgive my innocent ignorance).

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

If you could please give me examples of your and your freinds efforts to stop landfilling and to save the planet so I can be inspired rather than belittled it would be very much appreciated.

But Ill be selling my iphone 5..... so there we go.