iPhone 6 maybe similar in design as 5/5S, but with a 4.3"-4.7" display.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Based on history and what I've learned and witnessed from Apple; and from those here that have commented re: design, saying, "Why would Apple change the design of the, 4,4S,5,5S since it's doing so well and the market welcomes it." I would then think that next year's iPhone 6 will be very similar in design as the iP4 and iP5, but with a "slightly" larger screen, as Apple did incrementally with the 5's 4" display from the 4's 3.5" display. I suspect it will increase only to 4.3" or 4.7", but no larger based on Apple's conservative approach.

My attitude on next years iP6 is not have too high of an expectation on a significant redesign, especially with the introduction of this years 5C.

2. dulcimer47 macrumors newbie

Even that modest increase would be welcome and would go a long way towards addressing the issue.

The HTC One is only 4.7", so just matching that would be great.

Some people's hands are bigger than others...

3. cnotes2019 Suspended

5 inches would be awesome :). 5.7 would be heavenly :)

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

My question is... do you think Apple will stick with the aluminum body if they start developing large "Android sized" screens?

5. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Exactly my point. Next year's iPhone will only have a modest increase in size and its overall design, I suspect, won't be a drastic change as I and many here may be hoping for. It will be a very conservative changeover. Not saying, this is a bad thing. I'm just not expecting anything like those concepts I was hoping for.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Define what is considered similar?

I think if they use a big enough screen they would probably round out the edges of the phone bezel (such as that of the mini). Sharp square corners wouldnt be comfortable to hold on a larger device.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what she said:D

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just want Apple to make a 4.5 to 5-inch phone so I can weed out most of the complaints on here. I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but I'm sitting here with a 3.5" iPhone 4S. Even it might not be quite so bad if some apps -- HEY YOU, FACEBOOK -- would properly use landscape mode. Facebook had it a while ago, then all of a sudden it doesn't.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 are similar? Yeah, they have the buttons in similar places but otherwise how are they similar? Other than that they seem completely different. I would expect, and hope, the iPhone 6 the same way. While I am personally not welcoming a bigger screen that is what I am expecting. I expect a completely different body. If they released a larger screen in an otherwise identical body I would be massively disappointed.

10. businezguy macrumors 6502

I would hope they would get ride of the bezels and manage to keep the size of the phone similar while increasing the screen size. I also hope they don't try to make the device so thin that it only manages to keep the same battery life. I have literally just offloaded all of the media from my iPhone 4 to my computer and iCloud and wiped it out and restored it to the latest IOS and I've gained enough space on the device to keep it another year. Not to mention, it isn't running half bad. Hopefully it will run adequate on IOS7 should I be forced to upgrade for some reason.

Point I'm making is in order for me to upgrade to the iPhone 6, I need a good screen size upgrade, a max storage option of 128 gigs, and an improvement in battery life. I'll take better performance then the iPhone 5S, but frankly if they met those three options and literally kept the same chip, I'd still be in line on the release day.

11. nilzi macrumors regular

Agree with you, I believe many people will like the 5inches iPhone...
    and I hope Apple can bring us a real cheaper iPhone ;) iPhone 5C is still very expensive ....

12. James717 macrumors regular

Well, if people in developing countries could afford it, so can u!

13. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Respectfully, The 4 and 5 are designed similarly except for a few aesthetics such as the color of the antenna band and the .05" screen difference. Overall, it is shaped similarly. Using the whit color as an example, you wouldn't be able to tell if it's a 4 or a 5 from a reasonable distance. Clearly, you can see the difference when someone has an HTC One and someone with an iPhone 5. All I'm saying is the iP6, in my opinion, won't be a significant changeover from the current design.

I highly doubt Apple will consider the iP6 with a 5" screen.

14. penniless macrumors newbie

It's feasible to say that an iPhone 6 will have a larger screen (+ internal hardware upgrades) over the iPhone 5 family tree.

That being said, a large screen iPhone may be released winter/spring of next year, but not released as the "iPhone 6". The new iPhone? Another variation of the "iPhone 5 family"? I don't know.

I also think Apple will re-package the 5s as the 6c alongside it, much like the iPhone 5c is a switched case of the iPhone 5. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

The iPhone line-up will expand, much like the original iPod (classic, nano, shuffle...) and the iPad (iPad original, iPad mini) may get another brother next year to add to its family.

15. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

^ This :)))