iPhone 6 Meadowhall

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by unclejamaal, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

Anyone queuing in Meadowhall this year?
    Never done it before and wanted to know what time best to queue up on 19th?

2. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

Not sure if I'm going to do it this year (but probably will).

I queued up for my iPhone5 two years ago at 2am and I was about 100 in line. We were allowed in through the doors at around 6am and then given free water/coffee at around 7am before the shop opened at 8am.

3. timmhilly macrumors newbie

I'm thinking off going for the first time. What time is best to go, as I won't be pre ordering.

4. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

For those interested , I made a video of the iPad 2 launch day queue in meadowhall and uploaded it to YouTube all those years back:

http://youtu.be/S3Jir4CgYmE

If I don't decide to queue up I am thinking of doing another one next week on iPhone 6 launch day. Would any regulars at these things be interested in talking and saying hi to the camera and make the video a bit more interesting? :)

5. timmhilly macrumors newbie

What time did u get there? Was u first in cue? I'll be going Thursday night around 8-9 o'clock. I'll be up for saying hi.

6. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

What time did I get there at the iPad queue? To be honest I don't remember!!! I think it must have been 8am or 9am on launch day. In the end I got one from currys a day later. No queuing at all lol.

I'm not really a reporter by any means , just a geek who never goes to these events. At the iPad 2 launch I suddenly got the idea to film the queue and uploaded it on YouTube.

I might decide to turn up late Thursday night of I'm up for it. I really don't know yet. But if you see an idiot recording the queue and looking a bit dodgy with his iPhone or iPad Air then that's me so please don't be offended :)

7. timmhilly macrumors newbie

No worries hope to see you there. # is there separate queues for pre ordering?

8. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

Afaik you can only pre order online. Queuing is for dedicated geeks like you guys !!!

9. timmhilly macrumors newbie

Yeah can not wait, really excited about it. Just hope all that waiting will pay off for the iPhone I won't.###

10. gbdavid macrumors newbie

Emailed Meadowhall's careline today and they said doors will open at 7am, car park as well, do you think I'll be able to park at the 24h interexchange car park and walk from there instead?

11. Jill Sandwich macrumors newbie

On previous Meadowhall launches I've been able to park overnight, hope I can this year too. Also on the iPhone 5S launch you could no longer camp outside across from the store, you had to be outside under the canopy near the top floor main entrance. Bring a blanket and flask of cocoa!

12. Grim-up-north macrumors member

For the iphone 5 launch I arrived at around 4am and didn't get out of the store until 10am.

Last year for the 5s launch I arrived around 5am and left around 6:30 after they ran out of tickets and only had 5c available.

I'm thinking of getting there around 3 / 4am this time and I would expect be a few hundred queuing at that point.

Still amazed me how people turn up around 8am and just expect to walk into the store and purchase a phone.

The car park will be open all night as previous years unless Meadowhall change their policy on this.

13. m8lyx macrumors member

Does anyone know if the iPhones will be in store to view before friday as I'm not sure which one I want yet? But do want to queue on friday for one.

14. Jill Sandwich macrumors newbie

No. But if you're unsure, queue up anyway and when the tickets come around, reserve one of each. When you get inside there'll be demo devices to play around with (while everyone's making a beeline for the checkout). Once you've decided, surrender the ticket for the one you don't want.

15. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Thanks to a pre-order muck up, I'll be there at Meadowhall.

16. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

I'll be queuing up too. Probably get there at some point before 3 and praying that I'm not too late to get a 6+.

17. zoonyx macrumors 6502

I'm meant to be at work aall day from 8:30 so I'm not going at 3 no chance. I'll ruck up about 6/6:30 and if the queue looks mental, I'll bail and give up.

18. karansaraf macrumors regular

Argh.

I'm working between 1300-2300 on both Thursday and Friday.

It would be ideal if I could wake up at 0800 on Friday, rock up to the store and get my 64GB space grey, go home, set it up and make it in for work at 1300 haha, but I am fairly certain that's not going to happen.

I don't think queueing up overnight is going to be feasible though, since I'm not going to get any sleep and I don't think it's very responsible of me doing a 10 hour shift when I'm knackered, as a doctor.

This is annoying.

19. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Up until the last 3 words, I was going to say 'you wuss' - but just in case I get into a fight with a queue jumper and need your help later in the day, yeah - steer clear! :p

20. karansaraf macrumors regular

Haha yeah.

I may try to join the queue at around 7am (get to bed after work at midnight, wake up at 6-6.30am should be ok) and see if I get lucky for the 64GB space grey, but I realise it will be one hell of a long shot at that time, and several hours in the queue wasted. And then on top of it all, I'll have to go to work tired and in a bad mood, haha.

And yet I'm still tempted... god damn Apple.

21. Grim-up-north macrumors member

Seriously though, for the people intending to turn up at 7:30 / 8:00, I personally wouldn't bother. I am going to arrive at 2 / 3am and I'm pretty sure there will already be a queue a couple of hundred long.

When I arrived at this time for the iphone 5 launch, I didn't leave the store until around 10am.

To make it clear, the tickets are normally issued between 6 and 7am. If they do have tickets remaining they are then issued again, however model colours and sizes obviously run out quickly.

There will be thousands of people wanting these phones from Meadowhall on Friday, so my advice would either to be get there during the night as early as possible or try the apple store in a few weeks if you are ok waiting for the phone.

22. karansaraf macrumors regular

Might try to swap my Friday shift.

Where does the line start? And do people sleep in the line or is it just a lot of standing up?

23. Grim-up-north macrumors member

The queue usually starts on the outside of meadowhall at the fire exit closest to the apple store. I don't know meadowall very well, so someone else may be able to give a better description.

Security will be on hand to handle the queue anyway - you won't be able to miss it if you arrive after midnight.

People generally stand up and queue as normal, I have never seen anyone asleep.

24. karansaraf macrumors regular

Thanks. Does anyone know which car park is closest to where the line will be?

25. Grim-up-north macrumors member

Can someone please also remind me of the carpark, I seem to only remember needing to drive towards a big name store (Boots / Debenhams?) and park on the top level near the queue.

I don't know meadowhall at all, can someone please let us know more info on the best car park to use?

Also, has anyone preordered and reserved their phone for collection from the store? This seems to be a big topic this year e.g reserved phones vs. walk in availability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.