iPhone 6+ minor rocking normal?

me600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Hi MacRumors!
New here, would like to ask a burning question for fellow iPhone6+ users.
Is your iPhone 6+ totally flat when face down on a flat surface? It shouldn't rock at all like the gif below?

^Image from internet source

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Nothing can be built to exact specifications, everything has tolerances. You'll always end up with some products on the outer edges of the specification that have minor flaws.

Would most people notice it? Probably not.

me600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
It got me worried abit, I didn't notice this initially upon unboxing. After some usage then I notice this weird thing going on before attaching a screen protector. Is this bendgate?

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
It got me worried abit, I didn't notice this initially upon unboxing. After some usage then I notice this weird thing going on before attaching a screen protector. Is this bendgate?
Probably. Your iPhone could be bent a little. I did the test too mine was totally flat, so I guess yes, it is #bendgate, but it should not affect your everyday iPhone life. If you constantly look at the bend like someone with OCD you might want to exchange it. But if you can ignore it, everything will be fine.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Your sure its not the camera? lay it the other way.
Uh... did you read the post? Face DOWN.

Anyway, people have already covered it. They make tens of millions of these. There are design tolerances. You can't expect every single example to be 100% perfect.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Uh... did you read the post or look at the video? Face DOWN.

Anyway, people have already covered it. They make tens of millions of these. There are design tolerances. You can't expect every single example to be 100% perfect.
Exactly, and has the OP tested the table top?

Bend gate has caused issues to be looked for

----------

+1 you two need to learn to read, comprehend and look at the pictures.
Sorry, your right, didn't read the whole thread. My table top post applies ? Potentially?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
My mistake!!!

Use the level app on the iPhone and put it flat against that tabletop to make sure its level.. or bent.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Hi MacRumors!
New here, would like to ask a burning question for fellow iPhone6+ users.
Is your iPhone 6+ totally flat when face down on a flat surface? It shouldn't rock at all like the gif below?
^Image from internet source
Is there a reason this should bother me? If i could imagine a scenario where I needed to use my phone while it was face down on a table, then perhaps I'd be concerned. For what it's worth, my 6+ doesn't have this issue, but I wouldn't really care if it did. Also it's possible that the surface of the wooden table wasn't perfectly flat.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
My mistake!!!

Use the level app on the iPhone and put it flat against that tabletop to make sure its level.. or bent.
That won't work. The table doesn't need to be level. It's surface needs to be flat. He should try it on a variety of different surfaces if he really cares about a variance that small.

----------

The phone is defective and obviously bent. It almost looks like the screen is separating from the phone on the left side.
Yeah... you also need to slow your rush to fuel the bendgate fire and actually READ the original post where he clearly says the .gif isn't his phone.

#fail

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Try a different surface. Mine wobbles against some seemingly flat tables, but it doesn't wobble at all against my macbook and other metal surfaces (though I don't like putting the screen face down ever personally)

me600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Is this image of your actual phone?
No, my actual phone shows no presence of physical warping or bending of any sorts. Even the in-app spirit level shows 0. When placing a ruler over the front/back vertically, horizontally, diagonally seems negligible. Only facing down it shows very minute rocking, not as severe as the gif. Would you report or ignore, or get Apple Care + and consider replacing much later on?

me600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Table may not be flat. It could be the bevel edge. Get a soft silicon case for it!
Tried it on various surfaces, same effect.
Visualise front facing down, back facing up. (i.e. rear protruding camera is facing sky) I just have to state this because some people just don't understand.
Diagonally tapping corners (near headphone jack) and (rear camera region) will then show the minute rocking.

fotomarc

macrumors regular
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
iPhone 6+ minor rocking normal?

If there is a problem bring it back to the store. Problem solved! Apple are good with genuine complaints. I have a iPhone 6 plus and it looks perfect!

Just tested mine for rocking and it doesn't move!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.