iPhone 6 not classy looking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roxics, Sep 3, 2014.

1. roxics, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

roxics macrumors regular

Does anyone else feel like the iPhone 6 is not going to be that classy looking? I mean just based on the leaks we've seen so far the overall shape and everything just seems like a step backward to the days of the babyfat (rounded edge) ridden 3GS and original iPhone.

The 4 and 5 models are like fine watches or as Steve Jobs said about the 4 when it was introduced "It's like a beautiful old Leica camera." Which the photographer in me always loved.

I got the 5C last year and I feel like I missed out on the super classy looking 5S with the gold ring around the home button. Now I'm seeing leaks of the 6 and I'm feeling like it's no better looking than my cheaper looking 5C. Which is kind of discouraging and has me torn because I love the 5S look, but I want the bigger screen and new features of the 6.

Damn you Apple!

Granted I know these are just leaked images and the final product wil probably look better and I'll just throw it in a case anyway, but still, it's not looking to good at the moment in my opinion. Anyone else with me?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

People were saying the exact same thing about the iPhone 4, 4s and 5 leaks before they came out. Once we got the explanation and further info from Apple, people came around.

3. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

*Reads "iPhone 6 not classy looking*

*Wonders what "classy looking" means*

*Wonders how a device which hasn't been announced can already not achieve some arbitrary goal of design*

:rolleyes:

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The leaks of the iPhone 6 design are unimpressive to me. However, the final release next week might be a lot better. I'll wait until then to be disappointed. :p

6. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

See I MUCH prefer the videos to the current design. Like the curved edges versus the sharper square edges.

The 5C is far more comfortable to hold IMO. Glad they are going more that route. Honestly, it looks far better than I thought with the protruding camera. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

7. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Classy looking like a nice timepiece or piece of jewerly with shiny metal and fine cut edges. Not something that looks like every other generic 4.7-5.5" Android phone out there.

I realize design is subjective. But I hope you understand what I am saying. Square looking is classy. Exposed metal trim is classy. Chamfered edges are classy. Stainless steel exoskeleton is classy. Even the new Galaxy Alpha looks classy compared to what I've seen of the iPhone 6 and I don't like saying that.

I know the iPhone 6 is not released, but based just on the the leaks we've seen I can't imagine what more they can do it to fancy it up at this point. It looks like an iPod touch or an iPhone 5C in aluminum. Neither of which emote that classy look of the 4 or 5 numbered models.

8. iBanker macrumors regular

It looks slutty instead, just look at those curves!

9. jrswizzle, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

What Android phone looks like the iPhone 6 renders? The only one I know of that even has a metal back is the HTC One - and its a damn nice looking device.

Saying the Alpha looks better than the iPhone 6 is absurd imo.

I own a 5C - I think its a great little device. The 6 doesn't look like a 5C.

10. akhilleus macrumors member

It's a phone, not a tuxedo. Design is important, but its most important for a brand to stay current, create trends, and be ahead of the game. Worrying about "class" isn't in their best interest so much. They're trying to maximize functionality and convenience while presenting it in a small, unique, and visually interesting package. They're just going to get more and more "futuristic" looking.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Theres always "that one guy" every year that declares Apple has faltered.

iPhone 4

iPhone 5

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

What is that!?! I want one!

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I tend to agree with the OP a bit.. but I'm waiting until the final product is out before making my final opinion.

:apple:

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Ok I see now it's a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge. I'm off to read about it now. So far it looks like total lust over here. Wow!

16. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Wow... I wasn't around on these forums when the 4 was leaked, did people really say that? The iPhone 4/4S was the best design improvement of all... I didn't even like the previous iPhones that much until the 4 came out.

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]
    I forgot to quote all the people complaining about how the break in the band was so un-Apple and years later people are complaining about the band on the back of the iPhone 6.

This forum really does repeat itself every year before and after an announcement. The ones unhappy complain the loudest before a release and after they all get drowned out by all the people who purchased the new device and were happy.

18. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah, I know....

The 4/4S lines were like 3 times thinner, though...

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

They were thinner but they served a purpose, I take it Apple has a purpose for the iPhone 6 as well.

20. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Of course it serves a purpose, it's for the antenna to not create a faraday cage. They just replaced the glass parts from the iPhone 5/5S.

21. Gincoma macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP the rounded edges is a step back and not as elegant

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So if larger band means better reception (hoping) or stronger WiFi connection, i'm all for it.

Either way, they don't bother me.

23. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I myself don't really care about the bands either, what kind of "bothers" me is the unaligned placement of the camera.

24. Zxxv Suspended

Bands have a purpose in that it gives them something to do away with next design.

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple has differentiated itself for years based upon design though, so suddenly de-prioritizing it would be a change. There are a lot of smartphones out there with great specs.