Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomhero73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
looking for some help and clarity on this.. I have the latest airport extreme that does 802.11ac and a iPhone 6.. which I think is a/b/g/n ready? When my iPhone is connected to my network, in the airport utility app it shows the iPhone connected at 802.11b/g/n, is this correct? should it be on a/n? if thats faster?
any help or clarity on how this works would be great> Thanks

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It should read a/n or a/n/ac.

If you have other 5ghz N devices, it will pull your Extreme out of AC mode and back down to N mode.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

If you have other 5ghz N devices, it will pull your Extreme out of AC mode and back down to N mode.
So this means I have to update all my iPhones and iPad to get it to work

randomhero73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013

The phone always shows b/g/n connection and my iPad and macbook are showing as a/n.. is this normal?

do you know if its possible to set just the iPhone to ac and have all other connections on n?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So this means I have to update all my iPhones and iPad to get it to work
Yes, automatic/compatibility mode makes the router operate at the least common denominator.

The phone always shows b/g/n connection and my iPad and macbook are showing as a/n.. is this normal?

do you know if its possible to set just the iPhone to ac and have all other connections on n?

I have the older Airport Extreme, but this is why I set mine to strict only N mode (see the checkmark in attachment), so that any G devices, visitors or whatever don't pull it down. Yes I have a crappy G device pioneer airplay radio, that I run a separate Linksys for.

You could also set a different name for the 5GHz network. Not give that new name to any device other than your iPhone 6. Leave all other devices on the 2.4ghz, and your lone AC compatible iPhone 6 to use the 5ghz band and AC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 7.26.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 7.26.56 PM.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 801
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.