iPhone 6 not using 802.11ac wifi on airport extreme

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomhero73, Sep 30, 2014.

1. randomhero73 macrumors newbie

randomhero73

looking for some help and clarity on this.. I have the latest airport extreme that does 802.11ac and a iPhone 6.. which I think is a/b/g/n ready? When my iPhone is connected to my network, in the airport utility app it shows the iPhone connected at 802.11b/g/n, is this correct? should it be on a/n? if thats faster?
    any help or clarity on how this works would be great> Thanks

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It should read a/n or a/n/ac.

If you have other 5ghz N devices, it will pull your Extreme out of AC mode and back down to N mode.

3. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

So this means I have to update all my iPhones and iPad to get it to work

4. randomhero73 thread starter macrumors newbie

randomhero73

The phone always shows b/g/n connection and my iPad and macbook are showing as a/n.. is this normal?

do you know if its possible to set just the iPhone to ac and have all other connections on n?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, automatic/compatibility mode makes the router operate at the least common denominator.

I have the older Airport Extreme, but this is why I set mine to strict only N mode (see the checkmark in attachment), so that any G devices, visitors or whatever don't pull it down. Yes I have a crappy G device pioneer airplay radio, that I run a separate Linksys for.

You could also set a different name for the 5GHz network. Not give that new name to any device other than your iPhone 6. Leave all other devices on the 2.4ghz, and your lone AC compatible iPhone 6 to use the 5ghz band and AC.

Attached Files: