iPhone 6 Note Competitor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave245, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Dave245 macrumors 601

Before i start, i know the iPhone 6 has not been announced, and everything that is mentioned, is at this point a rumour. However i was thinking, for years Apple have said that 4" is a perfect screen size. But with recent rumours that there is a 4.7" and a 5.5" iPhone on the way in the form of the iPhone 6, it got me wondering, why are Apple doing this? everyone will have a different opinion and that's great.

Are they listening to what people want? (seems very un-apple like) or have they solved the trade-offs (that Tim Cook has spoken about, battery life, one handed use and so on) in order to make bigger screened iPhones? Now i know, there are some people who don't believe the 5.5" iPhone exists, but there have been a few more leaks recently. Are Apple entering the "Phablet" territory in order to compete with the likes of Samsung's Galaxy Note series?

What do you think? Do Apple have a Samsung Note killer on the way? or are they finally listening to what people want?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No they don't, nor does Samsung have a iPhone killer.

Such terms a silly, people will choose the Note for a variety of reasons, as much as people will choose the iPhone over the Note.

I think instead of looking at apple to produce a note killer phone, I'd look for a phone that best suits your needs.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Steve Jobs/Apple also said 7" tablets was a dead market, but guess what, with time the needs and wants change and you can cling all you want to "well last time they said...", but the market has changed and Apple is responding.

I was all for 3.5" device, I was a naysayer for anything larger calling the iPhone 4 the perfect size but now the app ecosystem has grown and the needs of my device have altered. I have an iPad mini and I plan to upgrade it this fall, my usage of an iPad is different of that an iPhone so I welcome a larger screened iPhone to have along side my iPad mini and MacBook Air.

This is actually very Apple-like, Apple released the 6th generation iPod nano and a trend transpired to make it a fashionable device and use it as a watch, now rumors are continuously growing the Apple is prepping to release an iWatch.

The market dictated larger screen devices, so Apple released the iPhone 5 with a 4" screen. They may not cater to every wish and command of every person but has a whole Apple tends to set trends as well as follow them (hence iOS 7 and the flat design, which I credit to Windows Phone).

4. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I'm not saying that they do, i'm just asking peoples opinions. There are different opinions that say Apple will release a 5.5" and some that say they won't, nobody knows for sure until the 9th :) however there have been reports that Samsung may be in trouble if Apple release a "phablet" again i'm only asking opinions :D

----------

Yes he did, i remember him being against smaller tablets. I'm just asking opinions , on what people think. I'm not saying Apple with do this or Apple will do that, because no one know except Apple. As for a bigger screen iPhone's i think its a good idea, giving people a choice between a 4.7" and 2 5.5" would be a good idea.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point is the whole idea of a company having a "phone killer" is off base. People want choices and options. The iPhone is an excellent product but it does not fit everyone's needs, even if they released a 5.5" variant.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I also don't understand why so many people are against a 5.5" iPhone and I've heard complaints that the larger model should not have better specs or they'll be mad.

Apple already offers:

• 7.9" and 9.7" iPad
    • 13" and 15" MacBook Pro
    • 11" and 13" MacBook Air
    • 21.5" and 27" iMac

People want choice and when they get it they refuse it. The larger model iPhone should have better specs, if it will cost more I should get more bang for my buck, the same already applies to the MacBook Pro/Air and iMacs, isn't that how things work?

7. Xeyad macrumors 6502

For people following Apple's long history, responding to market is nothing new. When Apple first introduced the iPod, it was a true industry changer. However, competitors like Creative and Sony quickly came up with cheaper alternatives with smaller capacities and more bright colors. It was doing some dent against the iPod, so Apple had to respond. Apple introduced the iPod Mini in 2004, less than 3 years from the original iPod, with a cheaper entry price and color options.

Almost the exact same has happened with iPad. The iPad in 2010 absolutely dominated the market. Then within 2 years, Android OEMs started offering cheaper alternatives with smaller screens that can be hold in one hand. History repeats itself; Apple had to respond. In 2012, They came up with the iPad Mini, with a smaller screen that can be used in one hand and a cheaper entry point to the iPad world.

For some reason, Apple took their long time to respond to the iPhone competitors. It seemed like Apple was still having a lot of success with the 3.5" and 4" iPhones, but it can't stay like this forever. Detailed market studies have shown that smaller smartphones are shrinking fast, while bigger phones are still on the rise. It makes total sense for Apple to respond to this market, and it's the perfect timing since Samsung isn't enjoying the great success as it used to. Big iPhones will absolutely do some damage to the Android space.

8. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I agree with this 100% i'm all for a 5.5" iPhone, even if i don't buy it, at least the option is there. I don't know which one i will end up getting, but i do like the idea of a bigger screen. I also agree that the 5.5" SHOULD have better specs because if i have to pay £100 more for the 5.5" over the 4.7" then there should be a reason why i'm paying that £100 more.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Larger screen and larger battery is why it should cost more. I do not think that it will have additional options over that.

Choice is good.

10. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

That's the crux of it though isn't it? How many of your none-techsavy friends actually went on and thoroughly researched which phone fits their needs best?

Chances are they just needed a new phone, walked into the store and got recommended to take the cheaper phone with the larger screen. This is what the majority of Samsung Galaxy S users are. At least in the netherlands it is.

11. chupachup macrumors 6502

The iPhone can never be a Note killer because the Note is in a Category of its own.

----------

Not really because my phone, the G2, does things the iPhone 6 will never be able to do, so even if iPhone comes with a bigger screen, is still running IOS, it is still being held back by restrictions and form over function.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Of course, a 5.5" iPhone will give people who are looking for a larger screen, another choice.

It very likely won't help people who also need/want pen support, unless Apple is willing to add that to their phablet and tablet models.

13. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Maybe for you it won't, but for the millions of people who use a Galaxies and aren't into tinkering and basically use their phones for stuff like media and apps, the big iPhones will be a blessing in the sky. They'll have the screen real-estate of big Android phones, but without the consequences such as lag or malware. I know a lot of people with Android phones that are actually considering to buy the next iPhone if it has a big screen.

Trust me, the big iPhones are going to be a hit. :apple:

14. cynics macrumors G4

This.

You can't have a "Note Killer" (I'm assuming we are just using that term generically) without the note taking capabilities of the Note series phablets. Now if Apple releases the 5.5" with a Wacom digitizer (or similar) then that might be a different story, and interesting one too. That may even make me reconsider a 5.5" model if it were to actually exist.

15. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Apparently Apple has patented some similar features according to this report, which also states that it was Apple who patented such features back in 2008 which were possibly copied by Samsung for their Galaxy Note.

http://www.cultofmac.com/293519/apple-patents-samsungs-galaxy-note-style-radial-menus-ios/

16. chupachup, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

chupachup macrumors 6502

When did i say I tinker with my phone? I don't do anything with it other than media and apps. Just like you.

Again. An iPhone can never do what mine does. And I'm just talking about the phone. The way it alerts me, the way I pick up calls, etc etc. There are so many little things that this does than an iPhone can't do. And I haven't installed anything. It does it out of the box.

I already have a big screen phone that does more than an iPhone 6 can do. Why would I want to get an iPhone 6? That's what the original point was. People switching from Android to go to an iPhone. That it will do damage to the Android space. It won't because Android phones are superior in every way a phone can be superior, and it has things iPhone will never have.

Take just my notification light. I don't have to turn on my screen a hundred times a day to see if I have notifications.

Not only does it notify me, but I can choose the colors. If my wife calls me or messages me it glows purple. Her sister is pink. Her mom is red. If I have a LINE chat message it glows green. Facebook glows Blue.

If someone calls me I can just raise the phone to my ear and it picks up. I don't have to swipe anything.

II can pick a hundred little things that this does that an iPhone will never do that makes the usage of this phone SO MUCH better than an iPhone.

And I haven't even mentioned file management. Plug and play into my computer. Copy and paste any songs or movies I want to. No syncing to iTunes or any of that nonsense.

So again, why would anyone switch just because they now joined the rest of the world and made a big screen phone?

At this point the only thing you guys can say is that Android phones are riddled with viruses. Which is absolutely not true. If someone gets infected is because they themselves installed a malicious app. Malicious apps can't just magically install themselves unless you disable all the security on the phone. So this is a moot point.

----------

I'm sure Apple patented breathing air at some point. What does that have to do with anything?

An iPhone 6 isn't a Note killer just because it has a big screen. A galaxy Note is a category of device that Apple doesn't make. When they make one then you can compare.

17. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I think the 5.5" is real.

I think there is a good chance some of the specs (RAM, etc) will be better than the 4.7" thus upsetting many iPhone loyalists.

I think Samsung is going to take a big hit because the only reason many of their users bought their phones was for the screen sizes. Once Apple can compete on that front, the benefits of iOS will lure millions of Samsung customers away, regardless of the price difference.

:apple:

18. chupachup macrumors 6502

There are no benefits to ios other than it integrates very well if you have other Apple devices.

An iPhone by itself isn't better. In any way.

19. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I agree with this, altho i don't know if the 5.5" will have better features or even if apple will do anything different with the 5.5" iPhone. I do however agree with you in that a bigger iPhone with 4.7" and 5.5" option, will cause Android users (and i don't know how many) to switch to an iPhone. I know people who have only left the iPhone simply because the screen was too small, those people will soon jump back to Apple once bigger screens are announced.

20. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

All depends on what you want from your device, regardless of what other devices you own.