iPhone 6 owners: will you transition to the new iPhone in September?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mhaniff, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Will you be getting the new iPhone?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2016.
  1. Yes

37.9%
  2. No

30.0%
  3. Maybe

24.7%
  4. I'm getting a Samsung instead

7.5%
  1. mhaniff macrumors member

Just out of curiosity and excuse me if there is a duplicate thread out there, Those who have the iPhone 6 or 6+ (Not the S model) Will you be getting the new iPhone this September? I purchased a 6+ back in September 2014 and i could really use an upgrade however with all the leaks and stories that are out, I'm starting to question whether if the new device will really be worth it.

2. LoveToMacRumors, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Great question, i'm wondering the same thing. Put a case on the iPhone 7 and it will look exactly the same as the iPhone 6 (the one i have). I'm disappointed by the lack of innovation on this year's iPhone, especially if you compare the rumors for this year iPhone and 2017 iPhone.

I answered a maybe on your poll because I believe the only big feature that could push me to buy the new iphone is the camera. Iphone 6 was the last iphone with 8mp and the picture just isn't comparable to the S6, S7, especially for selfies...

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Yes because I will also be getting the features I don't have that are in the 6s. Couldn't care less if it looks the same. I don't buy tech based on looks.

4. mhaniff thread starter macrumors member

I'm sort of disappointed as well however the camera is certainly something to look forward to also the new touchID button, i had a chance to play with the S7 Edge for a couple of days, the camera on that phone is absolutely amazing.

5. Cowmonk macrumors member

I'm pretty sick of the size of my 6+ (or maybe just using that to justify a 7). I'm very much in the thinking about it camp.

Would rather feel completely happy about spending that much money though.

6. mhaniff thread starter macrumors member

I have to say when i first got the 6+ I was not pleased with how big it was and uncomfortable it felt in my hand but eventually i adjusted to it. I'm sure if i saw the 6+ in person prior to making a purchase i would of gotten the 6 instead.

7. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m actually thinking of getting a + for the first time. What are the complaints about it? I think it would be rather obnoxious making phone calls but then I realized nobody talks on the phone anymore anyway. I’m not really a single hand user as it is so I’m not really turned off by the prospect of having to use two hands most of the time.

I'm hoping they will have a 256 GB model because at some point my 160 GB iPod Classic is going to take a dirt nap and I can use this iPhone as an iPod when I get the next upgrade.

8. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Regardless of any rumors, I will be getting the 7 on launch day. The desire of a new design doesn't warrant my purchase of a new phone. If anything I'll just switch up the color and call it a day.

9. mhaniff thread starter macrumors member

It does seem a bit obnoxious holding a 6+ up to your ear for the first time but after a while you will get use to it, only thing to be weary about is adjusting to a bigger device for everyday usage in terms of holding it, one hand use, ability to fit it in your jeans or pants comfortably. I use my 6+ as an iPod as well, it does feel bulky to carry around when at the gym.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2016 ---
    I plan on getting the space black or whatever they're going to call it. My 6+ is white/sliver so was my iPhone 5, time to switch it up.

10. bufffilm, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Well, if the rumors turn out to be true, the new iphone will have:

- 32gb, 128gb, 256gb
    - no 3.5" jack
    - possible water-proofing
    - flush home button w/haptic feedback
    - dual speakers
    - no antenna lines
    - A10 CPU
    - return of space black
    - 3gb ram and better camera in the Plus model

Are those enough for you? You'll have to decide.

11. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

- 32gb, 128gb, 256gb
    Used a 64GB iphone 6, nothing new
    - no 3.5" jack
    Rarely listen to music with earphones since car have bluetooth
    - possible water-proofing
    Spend the last years without a water proof phone and it worked fine
    - flush home button w/haptic feedback
    who cares?
    - dual speakers
    Never used my speaker... I dont game.
    - no antenna lines
    who cares?
    - A10 CPU
    Expected change since it's always a better CPU
    - return of space black
    Always used silver color iphones.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I'm not psychic, so despite the abundance of apparently reliable rumours, I can't decide until the phone actually debuts.

However, assuming all the rumours are true, I'm still very happy with my 6 and I'm not happy about losing the headphone jack. I might stick with my 6 for another year, or give the Note 7 a try. Or maybe I'll be lured in by the iPhone 7 after all. I really can't decide until I know exactly what it offers.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Then it's settled in your mind. End of story.
    Or is it?

14. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

It's not hahahahahahha :p:(:mad::confused:

15. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'll either go to the 7+ or a new 6s+ from Swappa depending on how good the 7 is and if I want to save ~$250.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

That's what I thought.

I can understand if people skip this year's phone. But I can also understand why many will buy it.

17. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

Space Grey 6 Plus owner here.

The geek in me says that I'm going to want a shiny new Silver duel camera 7 Plus, but there is just that niggling doubt about what's going to happen next year, plus that the 6 Plus is still a solid phone and the battery is still as good as it was back in 2014 (for me personally), that I'm wondering whether it's worth the upgrade.....

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If you're a 6+ owner, I'm half amazed that you would endure another year of using that phone...the 1gb RAM was almost criminal.

/ shrug/

19. Alexrat1996 Suspended

My dad has my old iPhone 6 he plans to upgrade with me the the iPhone 7

20. MC355 macrumors member

Great question and I'm sure a lot of people have this same problem

I have a 6 plus and was so certain I was gonna upgrade to the 7, mainly for the 6s features I don't have like Live Photos and 3D Touch features. My 6 plus still works very well and it doesn't seem slow at all

But since the 9.3 3 jailbreak came out and I jailbroken my phone, I was able to get Live Photos on my 6 plus (score!) and the 3D Touch like features.

Now I'm not so sure if I'll get the iPhone 7. Definitely won't be getting it on launch day. I personally wished Apple would have upgraded their screen resolution on the 7

21. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

I thought there was talk yesterday about a bump in pixels and the Plus going to a 2K?

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

In your dreams...Apple will go AMOLED next year so why would they bump the screens this year.

23. MC355 macrumors member

From all the YouTube videos and sites that talk about the iPhone 7 that I have looked at, seems like Apple is reserving a new screen resolution (AMOLED?) for the iPhone 8 to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.

24. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

I'm at work all day so my main uses are during my morning and afternoon commutes for podcasts and any additional use when at home.

So not really RAM hogging usage.

25. comptr macrumors 65816

Well I am getting the new iPhone. I sold my iPhone 6 Plus. There is no way I could make it another year with the 6 Plus due to the 1gb of Ram.