iPhone 6 owners: Would you get the Plus as an iPad replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petvas, Sep 27, 2014.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The question is really simple. If you already own an iPhone 6, would you also get the iPhone 6 Plus?
    I am thinking of buying it. The Plus would be my tablet replacement device, while my iPhone 6 would remain my main smartphone.
    I know it costs a lot to have both, so I wanted to see who else is thinking of doing the same.
    Thanks.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Plus is not an iPad replacement. Yes, someone could use the Plus in lieu of an iPad if they didn't want to or couldn't afford both. But the experience is completely different.

I have the Plus and the Air, and there is no way the Plus could replace my Air. Sure, I can make do with the Plus, and often do because its the only thing I have on me, but if every chance I get I reach for the Air. Much more comfortable to work with.

But now while lying in bed and reading, the Plus is a big plus (pun intended), because it is a lot lighter and easier to hold up. So for late night reading it works. Web surfing is still not a pleasant experience on a sub 7" screen. But Tapatalk and dedicated apps get close.

3. imnjs macrumors member

imnjs

Don't think so. My iPad Air with my Zaggfolio is still my baby when it comes to productivity and movies. Couldn't imagine doing the stuff I do on it on a Plus.

4. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

I have a Macbook Air so having a big iPad doesn't do it for me. On the other hand I believe that the UI of an iPhone is better suited for small devices like the Plus and the iPad Mini. I am no talking about completely replacing the iPad functionality with an iPhone 6 Plus, but since I already own a Macbook Air, I am only interested on the small tasks that an iPhone or iPad can accomplish:
    Social networks, mail, reading, playing games (not that much though).

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I have an MacBook Air too, because sometimes I need the horsepower and flexibility. But using the Air in bed at night is uncomfortable as thin and light as it is. It still has a physical keyboard.

So if you break down the tasks you do on a regular basis, perhaps you can make it work. But if web browsing is one of them, the Plus is just not going to cut it. Email, apps you may need, great. But Safari or Chrome on such a small screen is painful. Can you make it work? Sure. Do you need to? Not if you have a much bigger and nicer screen of an iPad around.

Reading is ok on the Plus. I tried it, and was ok. But I have a Kindle Paperwhite for that and went back to it. Extended reading is something eInk will trump LCD every single time. But if I didn't have my Kindle with me I could read a few chapters on the Plus. No problem.

I played some Infinity Blade III on the Plus, and was amazed on how smooth it was and how good it looked. Gaming on the Plus is a lot of fun. Can't wait to try some flight sims or racing games.

Reading PDFs is a bit uncomfortable, for the same reason browsing the web is. A lot of pinch and zooming. Me eyesight is not what is used to be, and I am spoiled by the iPad Air screen. That's where the Plus (or any other smaller device, even the Mini) falls short.

If my iPad Air broke tomorrow, could I make do with the Plus? I think I could for a while, while the iPad Air 2 was launched. :D

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I did.

I have both a 6 and a 6+.

Hated most internet pages on the 5s and trying to read them.

The 6 is is not bad but definitely love the 6+ instead of lugging around an iPad.

Get this. I put both phones in the same pocket and have no issues.

7. rhylin macrumors member

It's laughable to consider it a tablet replacement. I wonder if the same threads will surface once they reveal the next incarnation of the iPad this year..

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh no! :eek: Say it isn't so!

9. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Why is it laughable? These threads wouldn't exist if tablets were more capable. Currently they offer the same functionality as a smartphone, packed in a bigger screen. If someone doesn't really care about the much bigger screen, then why not?? I don't understand the problem here.

As far as Internet browsing concerns, I prefer to use my Macbook Air and my iMac for that. I hate the constant refreshing on the iPad and the lack of 100% compatibility with many websites. I only do light surfing on my "i" devices, so I guess an iPhone would suffice for that...

10. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

11. rhylin macrumors member

I'm merely referring to the mindless drones on these forums who are gluttons for the extra real estate of the 5.5.. pure logic would indicate a new iPad release at the top of their lists as "the next best thing" .. again I'm only referencing the characteristics of the plus and an iPad, nothing more.

12. Troy.Watts macrumors newbie

I wouldn't. If I did get a 6+ it would be to replace my 6. It's bigger but not THAT much bigger

13. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Maybe you are all right and I just want to test the new iPhone 6 Plus..

I think I decided not to get it, since it doesn't really make any sense. It was more my wish to have all new Apple toys out there..

14. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Ive replaced my iPad with the 6+ iPad is just too big for book reading, and unnecessarily large for web browsing. Watching movies on the 6+ is fine too when on the road, though if I'm at home I wouldn't watch a film on a tablet anyway.

iPads are just too big and bulky. Kind of goofy looking too now when I see people with them in cafes.

Also the 6+ is better for gaming, it's closer to the shape and size of portable dedicated gaming consoles and for good reason.

15. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Nope, like my 6 and iPad combo as they are. Works for me.

16. gabrielignacio macrumors member

I plan to replace my iPad mini with the iPhone 6 plus. That was the main reason to get the Plus and not the 4.7" one.

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

For me, no. I tend to prefer desktop versions of sites (inluding MR forums) and the iPad's bigger screen and 4:3 aspect ratio just works better for me in both landscape and portrait configuration. Mind, I also have 5:4 displays at work. Just personal preference. I can make do with the 6 Plus if I absolutely have to but if the iPad is readily available I'd prefer to use that.

Besides, for technical PDF and comic reading, the iPad wins and those are actually the primary reason I buy tablets. :p

18. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

The plus doesnt even replace my mini. Wherever i go, and i know there is wifi there, i have my mini with me. If there is no wifi, the phone kicks in.

19. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

It doesn't run iPad apps so no.

iPhone 6 as phone.

iPad Air as tablet.

20. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I really struggle to understand how the plus could be considered as an iPad replacement.

There's less than an inch of difference between screen size. Unless money is no object, it seems foolish to have 2 devices of such similar size.

Much rather have the i6 +iPad or iPad mini.

21. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Once they close the whole iPad/iPhone app difference, then yes. I feel like with the Plus, they might open it up to iPad apps. Once that happens, it could replace my rMini in a lot of use cases — but I'd like to keep one around anyway just in case.

22. johnmed macrumors member

I was intending to buy a Retina iPad mini this year, and didn't. I also wanted to update my iPhone 5. So I bought my iPad mini mini/iPhone 6 Plus. I have a MBP which I use for Uni work at home, but so far I have used the 6+ for Uni work at Uni, not needing to cart the 13" MBP with me.

I wanted the iPad mini cellular to use as a satnav in the car too. But mounting the 6+ has satisfied that need too.

I haven't strictly replaced an iPad for a Plus, but hey.

Edit, I too would like some more iPad-esque apps on the Plus too, to take advantage of the screen real estate.

23. RichyB macrumors regular

Yes but still waiting on the damn order to find out if I can live with it.

24. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

How would you do this? You would have to buy one of the phones off contract, which would be at least $250 more than even the most basic iPad retina mini, unless you wanted both phones to be usable as phones, which would lead to a monthly fee of some sort for both. Also, with an iPad you get iPad apps.

25. mcmul macrumors 6502

This is all very subjective but personally speaking: I bought the 6 Plus to replace both my iPad Air and iPhone 5S. I dislike switching between the iPhone and iPad but I had to because the 5S screen was so small. Whereas now, after using the Plus for a full day, I don't need to. I have already sold the iPad and listing the 5S today :D

Whereas my wife is buying the 6 because the 6 Plus it too big but she is keeping her iPad Air.

Swings and roundabouts...